• Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 16 February 2021 - 07:22 AM

I am tired of freezing! They are regulating the electricity here. They turn it off for two hours and then turn it on for two hours. I would think a person would use more trying to reheat their homes to get it back warm.
Found out this morning, that we are now low on drinking water ..... the turbines froze up! That is proof that I am cold! LOL
If anyone wants this snow and ice here at my house, I will be glad to load it for you with my Texas Snowplow Machine! 😉

#2 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,321 posts
  • Local time: 08:16 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 16 February 2021 - 07:55 AM

"If anyone wants this snow and ice here at my house, I will be glad to load it for you with my Texas Snowplow Machine!"

Yes we've had record snowfall here too. 24 Hour total in the lower hills just 30 miles east were over 25" yesterday alone. Of course, they don't measure snowfall or rain in inches up here. It's measured in feet. We already have plenty, so, my question would be...How much snow can we send to you?  :dncinban:  :danc:  :rofl2:

The Paradise area at Mount Rainier (elevation of 5,400 feet) is known for its snowfall. Paradise once held the world record for measured snowfall in single year in 1971-1972: 1,122 inches (93.5 feet/28.5 meters). A new low snowfall record for Paradise was set in 2014-2015 with 266 inches (22.2 feet/6.7 meters), previously set in 1939-1940. Snowfall is measured at the official Paradise weather station and is recorded in inches. To include the full winter season, snowfall is recorded from July 1st to June 30th.

960-px.jpg?maxwidth=1200&autorotate=fals

Edited by Euphoria, 16 February 2021 - 08:22 AM.

• Dutchman likes this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#3 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,359 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 16 February 2021 - 09:13 AM

The good news about this weather.....our beer is always really cold and refreshing!   LOL!

• cottons likes this

#4 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 419 posts
  • Local time: 10:16 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2020 17’ Freedom Deluxe
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 16 February 2021 - 12:33 PM

Euphoria,
I was at Fort Lewis in 1971-1972. I got to tromp through a lot of that deep snow back then. It was the most that I had ever seen in my life! There to four inches was a lot of snow for this West Texan to see!
I also got to see coal for the first time in my life then! Did I tell you that coal is messy, but worth the warmth that it provides!
Never could figure out what those tall colored poles were on the side of the roads. Then, I found out! 😳
Jerrybob,
Makes it a lot easier to bum a few cans from an un-expecting neighbor that leaves his beer out in the cold. LOL
I had a friend that used to drink warm beer. He said that nobody but him was going to drink his warm beer. He was right; never saw anyone take one.
I wish that I had a picture of the Coors waterfall back home that was filled with beer for a party we had out there one night! Oh, what a side to see! Then there was the Tide soap that was poured into the waterfall! (Lots of bubbles and suds!)
Turn back the clock! I would love to re-live a lot of my younger days like that.

Edited by West Texan, 16 February 2021 - 12:36 PM.

• Jerrybob likes this

#5 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,359 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 17 February 2021 - 08:03 AM

That's okay, West Tex, you can keep the cold..... Or, let's make a deal. We'll keep the cold if you keep the temps that go past 90 °. Because up here in the PNW, most of us don't have air conditioners.

Seriously, though, I know 'y'all' don't have experience with the snow and cold as we Yanks do. I hear you're out of power or having rolling blackouts. All I can say is hunker down and try to keep warm. You DO have a camper with a propane furnace, yes? That's always been our 'haven'. If I didn't have a generator to run the well pump, and a kerosene heater to heat the house, I'd be staying in the Casita while the power was out and the snow falling.

• Jerrybob likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#6 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 419 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2020 17’ Freedom Deluxe
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 17 February 2021 - 06:49 PM

Meadowlark,
Got it made. I just hunker down in all the blankets on my bed. It is like going to my Grandmothers house and sleeping. Now, that I think of it, they covered us in enough blankets that we couldnt get out of bed! LOL
I was lucky to have water and filled one of my tubs, in case I needed to flush, if the water shut off.
Sorry, but my Casita heaters are electric. I did not get the propane heater installed.
The electricity is off for two hours and on for two hours, so I used it, when I got it. When not, I just hunkered down.
Tried to stay off the roads. Had to go to town on Tuesday. That was a mistake! I got rear ended by another car sliding on the frozen street. All wound up good on my end. My trailer hitch stinger saved my truck, but did a little damage to their front end.
I am ready for this to be over, so I can go camping.

#7 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 763 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 18 February 2021 - 09:26 AM

Texas is the highest energy producing state in the nation and we are currently being asked to ration our electricity, natural gas, and water. Hospitals in our capital city of Austin are without heat and water and their employees on duty are craping in plastic bags. This has NOTHING to do with green energy or windmills. For one, the Green New Deal hasn't been implemented yet because our conservative friends have done a great job, at the request of coal and fossil fuel giants, to block it for two decades. And two, windmills operate just fine in Antarctica, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Finland. If you believe anything different, your news source is gaslighting you. Save it for our spouse.

This is a direct result of a complete and utter failure by incompetent leaders in our state based solely on greed. While our Governor Greg Abbott, Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick, indicted Attorney General Ken Paxton, and Senator John Cornyn all play the blame game of finger pointing, Senator Ted Cruz flew to Cancun Mexico last night with his family to get drunk on one of their beautiful beaches. I guess he had no solutions to offer. But for a man who has beaten the drum of "build that wall" for five years, he certainly didn't hesitate to fly over to exploit their resources and labor for his own personal pleasure. These fuckers and the people who keep them elected to office make me puke!

Plumbers are receiving 2,200 calls per day in the City of Dallas. Where do you begin to recover from this debacle?

Toddy

• Carol Christensen, Meadowlark and Jerrybob like this

#8 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,388 posts
  • Local time: 09:16 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 18 February 2021 - 12:15 PM

Become a plumber and earn enough to fly to Cancun B)

• Meadowlark and cottons like this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#9 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 05:18 AM

Become a plumber and earn enough to fly to Cancun B)

Or perhaps become a Senator?  :dncinban:

• Meadowlark and Jerrybob like this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#10 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 05:29 AM

These fuckers and the people who keep them elected to office make me puke!

Toddy

Tsk, tsk, Toddy. I'll say that there is probably no one on this planet that can out-cuss this old sailor, and believe me, I can definitely hold my own with the best of them, but that comment was purely bad "forum decorum." I would expect a little bit higher standard, especially from you, as I know you have the ability to effectively communicate much better than that. Just sayin'.

I am basically a "right side of the aisle" conservative, but that's just me. However, as much as I too love to rant on issues that I disagree with, (and in the last month or so, there are many,) but the forum isn't that place. Bad Toddy!  :rofl2:

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#11 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,610 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 19 February 2021 - 12:04 PM

The snow was not the issue, it was how deep the cold dove down and how long we have been below freezing. We got down to -3 degrees.   

We had no electricity for 4 days. All in my area were without power, some others in the county had rolling blackouts if they were with the co-op. Starting Monday at 1 am thru Thursday 7pm.

I own 3 generators- in advance of the "deep freeze"  I stored  25 gallons of gas to run the genies, brought both into the house to keep warm until I had to start them.  Stored fresh water in multiple gallon jugs & a 20 gallon fresh water tank stored inside the large walk in shower. Put Reflextix on the windows in the house and all of the windows in the Casita. Filled 6 propane (20#)  tanks.

I was able to keep the house at 48* and the Casita at 72*, the floor was brutally cold. 

We now  have a 2 acre lake (ice skating) on the front of the property thanks to flooding from the well house. 

Toddy, someone needs to wash your mouth out with a bar of soap.

Ted Cruz is Federal Gov't not State Government, this was up to the State of Texas, not the Federal Government. Unlike the states California & New York who wants the rest of the country to bail them out of all of their fiscal irresponsibility via the Covid stimulus packages. Texas will investigate and take care of their state business. 

I guess we need to elect the "empty suite"  and faux Hispanic Beto O'Rourke to run the state. 

Gov Abbott has already started the investigations into the poor planning. We have had a significant coal fired power plants closed down since 2015 because on a Federal mandate put into place by White House Occupant Obama. 

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#12 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,321 posts

Posted 19 February 2021 - 01:34 PM

Get ready for Obama's 3rd Term. In just one month His Excellency King Biden has, by royal fiat, ruined what little was left of our economy, and has now also opened the flood-gates at the borders. Like we really need more Covid infected aliens coming here right now, with no language skills, no trade skills, and no money. My youngest son is a Federal officer with the Border Patrol. He has said many times lately that over 95% of the illegals crossing the border test positive for Covid-19. Way to go Joe! So much for "America First." Now we will become just another third world country too!.

Edited by Euphoria, 19 February 2021 - 01:37 PM.

• clover likes this

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#13 The Goose Egg

The Goose Egg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 394 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 19 February 2021 - 04:42 PM

We did not have any snow down here in SW Louisiana.  Only freezing precp. .   It was 1/2 to 3/4 in. thick everywhere. 

Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas and the states north of us,  all experienced record cold temps.  We had rolling blackouts.

I'm not sure about the other neighboring states, but Louisiana was maxed out and probably did not have the ability to share capacity anyway. 

News said Texas hospitals were calling and asking to move patients to Lake Charles but were denied. They said we had no water/power to care for them. 

We had an ice storm here in 1997 that took out our power.  We learned then, that we couldn't rely on a quick rescue from the government.

We decided  to do everything we could to prepare for future disasters. 

24 years later and our wood stove was ready.  We put in a propane generator, and even though we now have city water, we kept our water well for back up. 

Before going on city water, we changed out our water well to an air well system that has a water holding tank that holds over 100gals water.

We have propane tanks and heaters for the well shed that houses our water tank.   Led flashlights, and then back up Kerosene lanterns for heat or light. 

We've just been through two hurricanes and we are thankful that our power company  "Entergy Louisiana" got us up in record time. 

We are thankful for all the out of state linemen that came and worked in the horrible heat and skeeters to get our power back on.  The power grid in this area was totally destroyed.

I know the people down here are weary.  A coworker of my husband, just got the insulation and ceiling back in his home and then this ice storm took out the power and frozen pipes just flooded it and all the ceiling came back down.  They have been living in a camper since last August's Hurricane Laura.

Two of my neighbors are living in campers in their driveways, while their homes are rebuilt.  They both had to move to family's because of no water or heat.  It only got down to 13 here, but that was cold enough.  I really feel for you all who experienced such low temps. I hope you all can recover quickly. 

Edited by The Goose Egg, 20 February 2021 - 12:38 PM.

• Meadowlark likes this
Goose's Egg, AKA The Bear Necessities
Pictures of: Casita, Quilt, Bear & Vacation Photos

#14 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,359 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 19 February 2021 - 06:40 PM

Can we please drop the political talk? I know how the folks who are without power and water are suffering, but we don't need to throw politics into it. If  you must, PM others who you agree with. I want to talk about Casitas and Camping.

• Carol Christensen, Dutchman, Alva and 1 other like this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#15 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,610 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 19 February 2021 - 08:02 PM

We did not have any snow down here in SW Louisiana.  Only freezing precp. .   It was 1/2 to 3/4 in. thick everywhere. 

Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas and the states north of us,  all experienced record cold temps.  We had rolling blackouts.

I'm not sure about the other neighboring states, but Louisiana was maxed out and probably did not have the ability to share capacity anyway. 

News said Texas hospitals were calling and asking to move patients to Lake Charles but were denied. They said we had no water/power to care for them. 

We had an ice storm here in 1997 that took out our power.  We learned then, that we couldn't rely on a quick rescue from the government.

We decided  to do everything we could to prepare for future disasters. 

24 years later and our pot belly stove was ready.  We put in a propane generator, and even though we now have city water, we kept our water well for back up. 

Before going on city water, we changed out our water well to an air well system that has a water holding tank that holds over 100gals water.

We have propane tanks and heaters for the well shed that houses our water tank.   Led flashlights, and then back up Kerosene lanterns for heat or light. 

We've just been through two hurricanes and we are thankful that our power company  "Entergy Louisiana" got us up in record time. 

We are thankful for all the out of state linemen that came and worked in the horrible heat and skeeters to get our power back on.  The power grid in this area was totally destroyed.

I know the people down here are weary.  A coworker of my husband, just got the insulation and ceiling back in his home and then this storm took out the power and frozen pipes just flooded it and all the ceiling came back down.  They have been living in a camper since last August's Hurricane Laura.

Two of my neighbors are living in campers in their driveways, while their homes are rebuilt.  They both had to move to family's because of no water or heat.  It only got down to 13 here, but that was cold enough.  I really feel for you all who experienced such low temps. I hope you all can recover quickly. 

I wonder if the civilian heroes called the Cajun Navy kicked in their support? Those folks were awesome during Harvey!

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)