17 replies to this topic

#1 Dex

Dex
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,186 posts
  • Local time: 07:37 PM

Posted 13 February 2021 - 03:26 PM

http://www.casitaclu...years-this-may/

I purchased my Casita in 2006,  I think for 13,000 or 14,000.  I sold it in 2016 for, I think12,500.  

I bought a 30 foot travel trailer for 32,000 (ORV 23RKS) since I wanted to full time in it.

In 2006 there were not many well constructed small RVs out there.  Now there are.

I guess Casita's business is working well.  I just wouldn't buy one in today's market.

Take care.

2006 17' Spirit owner since July 18, 2006
Tow Vehicle - 2000 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab 4X4-Sport V-6 3.9L, Automatic Sports Plus Package, 31X10.5 tires, Limited Slip Differential, 4.10 gear ratio, Trailer Tow Group pkg(transmission & oil cooler, class IV hitch, wiring), Heavy Duty package (automatic Overdrive, battery upgrade, front & rear anti sway bars) Package

#2 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,321 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 14 February 2021 - 01:46 AM

I paid a bit over $16,500.00 for my 2008 17' SD when I bought it new at the factory. That was with all the "bells and whistles" options they offered. Since then I've probably added another $7,000.00, (without exaggeration,) in mods, upgrades and additions over the past 13 years I've had it, but those were just my "wants." Not that it needed them, I just wanted them. Will I ever recoup my investments? I doubt it, but then it's not going to be up for sale anyway. It will be passed along within the family when I'm gone, along with all my other toys.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#3 cottons

cottons
  • Casita Club Member
  • 85 posts
  • Local time: 09:37 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Independence
  • Trailer Name:Trailer

Posted 14 February 2021 - 07:56 AM

It's certainly a different market than it was in 2014.  I think they are not the bargain that they were.

#4 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,359 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 14 February 2021 - 09:24 AM

What has not gone up in price over the years?   I bought a 74 Chevy van new for $3400.....I once paid 29.9 for a gallon of gas.....the house I bought in 1978 for $19,000 in So Calif is currently on the market for $650,000.......just the way it is.....I am sure Casita has higher expenses now then when they first started....I bet their production costs are significantly higher than they use to be.....heck....it cost $40 bucks now to park your trailer in a state park.....sign of the times.   

#5 Jim&Clare

Jim&Clare
  • Casita Club Member
  • 179 posts
  • Local time: 03:37 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:SOLD 2002 Bigfoot 17
  • Interests:Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Posted 14 February 2021 - 10:30 AM

I paid a bit over $16,500.00 for my 2008 17' SD when I bought it new at the factory.......

..which would be $23,411 in todays money

Add a bit for all of Larry's stolen mods that they now incorporate, and nothing has really changed.

Jim

Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Saw the country in a 2002 Bigfoot 17 - now sold.

Where is Jim now? Hiding in the UK until Covid passes.

#6 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,374 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 14 February 2021 - 12:35 PM

Our 1999 17' LD cost $12,980 from the factory with all the extras available at the time.  Our current 2005 LD was $14,930 new with most of the extras (left out some of the more expensive extras that we didn't need or want).  It would have been about $600 more with everything.

Considering the price of a new Casita today, I would think the market for a good used one would have increased too.  Not that we are planning to sell our beloved Nova any time soon. 

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#7 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,388 posts
  • Local time: 08:37 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 14 February 2021 - 01:37 PM

Hmmm, I wonder if there still is a waiting list to buy a new Casita at the factory.

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#8 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,321 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 14 February 2021 - 03:01 PM

Add a bit for all of Larry's stolen mods that they now incorporate, and nothing has really changed.

Jim

In acknowledgement to Larry, who I admire greatly, and not at all meant to steal his thunder, (and he has certainly been very creative and innovative in "Making Casita Great Again,") but I will say that not all of those "mods" were inherently Larry's alone. A good many other Casita owners have, over the years, made significant changes and alterations that "Casita Travel Trailers" have finally "adopted" over the years, despite their seeming reluctance to change anything. Not that it's a bad thing. After all, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

• Dutchman likes this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#9 Barb Dwyer

Barb Dwyer
  • Casita Club Member
  • 12 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Interests:Camping, Hiking, Paddle boarding, Surfing, Slacklining. . .

Posted 14 February 2021 - 03:56 PM

Resale value alone is reason enough for me to stick with a Casita.

Edited by Barb Dwyer, 14 February 2021 - 03:58 PM.

• Dutchman, Meadowlark and West Texan like this

#10 West Texan

West Texan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 419 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2020 17’ Freedom Deluxe
  • Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 14 February 2021 - 04:40 PM

My friends that I camp with, bought a stick and aluminum camper for a little over $26k. Nine months later, they decided the trailer was not built right (creaked, groaned, noisy, and so on). He went back to the salesman (old friend that sold it to him) and wanted to sell or trade it in on another brand. His friend told him that it was worth only $12k!
I sure bet that my Casita does not depreciate like that!

Edited by West Texan, 14 February 2021 - 04:42 PM.

• Meadowlark likes this

#11 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,359 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 15 February 2021 - 08:39 AM

We paid (if memory serves) a little over $17K for our 2011 SD. I saw, just recently the same year and model (with all the bells and whistles, something we didn't get)  for sale at...18K or thereabouts. So my ten year old camper hasn't depreciated much.

My neighbors next door have a big stick built 5th wheel. It's less than two years old and right now has a bright blue tarp over the front end of the flat roof.  I am assuming (they're too nice a bunch of folks to sneer at) it's because the flat roof is leaking.

My Casita is "cozy" (a real estate agent's term for 'cramped'). When it's two of us inside, we do the Tiny Camper Tango, one sits, the other moves around. Add in one yowling Siamese and it can get pretty close in there.

My Casita doesn't have all the bells and whistles that a bigger, aluminum camper has...no slide out, no full sized refrigerator, no generator. No TV, no microwave, no oven.

My Casita didn't cost an arm and a leg, and it has maintained its value all these years.

I'm what my father used to say: "If you're happy with what you have, you got a good deal."

• Dutchman and Jerrybob like this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#12 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,359 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 15 February 2021 - 10:18 AM

I bought our 2011 Casita used in Jan. 2013.....I paid $14K for it.....the guy I bought it from took delivery of it in Florida and pulled it one time across the country to his home in Vancouver Wa.....he never use the stove....the heater.....or the frig.......I was lucky....when he put it on Craiglist....I was the first caller.....bought it the next day......we have no plans to sell...we love our Casita but....I bet it would sell for at least what I paid for it......not bad!   Safe travels to all.

• Meadowlark likes this

#13 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,388 posts
  • Local time: 08:37 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 15 February 2021 - 11:37 AM

I think I paid $13.500 for my new 17SD in March 2003. It had all the bells and whistles. Noisy critter.

Dutchman

• Meadowlark and Barb Dwyer like this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#14 Linda & Bob, K4TAX

Linda & Bob, K4TAX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 185 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:WE Sold it!
  • Trailer Name:Room 4 Two
  • Casita Club Directory #:2033

Posted 20 February 2021 - 06:23 AM

We purchased a 1999 17' SD in 2009.   Paid $6500 for it.   Did a little work on it and used it for 10 years.  Other than tires and  battery, spent less than $1000 on it.   Sold it last year for $10,500, no questions asked.   Yes they are hot items today and the prices reflect such.  

• Meadowlark and Jerrybob like this

#15 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,374 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 20 February 2021 - 05:32 PM

We purchased a 1999 17' SD in 2009.   Paid $6500 for it.   Did a little work on it and used it for 10 years.  Other than tires and  battery, spent less than $1000 on it.   Sold it last year for $10,500, no questions asked.   Yes they are hot items today and the prices reflect such.  

That's great.  When we sold our 1999 in 2005, (if my memory is working) it sold for $11,500.  Nice to see that even a 1999 is holding it's value.

• Linda & Bob, K4TAX and Meadowlark like this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.