• Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 11 January 2021 - 07:22 AM

Is it climate change, the earth shifting on its axis, Hell freezing over, or my bad luck we got snow here in West Texas? LOL
It is pretty to look at, but it is also cold, wet, and messy.

#2 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,328 posts
  • Local time: 05:43 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:02 AM

Life is full of surprises but you always have to keep a good perspective......Henny Youngman once said....."I told my doctor I broke my leg in two places....he said.....stop going to those two places"    

• Meadowlark likes this

#3 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,317 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 11 January 2021 - 06:15 PM

Snow is a four letter word in my house....

• Jerrybob likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#4 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,296 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 12 January 2021 - 06:44 AM

Is it climate change, or my bad luck we got snow here in West Texas? LOL

It's obviously due to "Global Warming."  :dncinban:

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#5 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 749 posts
  • Local time: 07:43 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 12 January 2021 - 08:21 AM

We used to get snow and cold weather pretty routinely in these parts (North Texas), but climate change has altered that. Our temperatures just seem to be getting hotter and hotter. We also used to have to clean our car windshields of thousands of squished bugs after a night-ride in the country, but you rarely experience that anymore either. It is not a good sign when insects and amphibians start disappearing.

I am grateful that we will have an indigenous woman running the Interior Department for a few years. Hopefully she can put measures in place to stem this tide of scorched earth.

Toddy

• Carol Christensen and Meadowlark like this

#6 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 392 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2020 17’ Freedom Deluxe
  • Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:20 PM

Snow is a four letter word in my house....

.... as in: love/hate ..... cold/warm .... ? LOL
  • Meadowlark likes this

#7 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,317 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:22 PM

You're right, Toddy.  People seldom realize that the 6th Extinction is going on right now. While we all worry about the last tiger, the last black rhino, the last orca...no one seems to see the die off going on right under our noses, that of insects. Bees are in big trouble. Butterflies, especially the beloved monarch, going fast. I heard that their wintering grounds...a small area in Mexico...has been logged to just about oblivion, to the size of a football field. Essentially, it's gone. It's the smaller bugs, the ones no one pays attention to, that are disappearing and while it means you don't have to worry about being bothered by them anymore, things that eat them are going to die out, too. Virtually every bird species feeds their babies bugs.  THey might turn into granivorous..meaning strictly seed/grain eating as adults, but with the exception of the American goldfinch, every passerine bird...meaning everything from robins to hummingbirds...needs bugs for their babies. I used to hear nighthawks every summer night. Not any more. We used to have swifts here. Not any more.  I cannot remember the last time I saw a toad.  We're on a rollercoaster to disaster and it's gaining speed.

#8 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,296 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:30 PM

Yes, it is warmer these days. Today, it was over 50 degrees here. (This is the middle of January, in what would be considered "the northern climate.") But, OTOH, we have also had over 6 1/2" of rain in just the last 3 days. And it's not about to stop anytime soon. Up here in the PNW, we get what they call our constant fall/winter amounts of rainfall from the Pacific Ocean, as an "atmospheric river." That about explains it.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#9 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,317 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:33 PM

wt---I hate snow. I grew up in Michigan. Months of shoveling your driveway twice , three times in a few hours,  of driving on treacherous, icy roads,of ice storms, of waiting for the snow plows to pass by and then having to dig your car out from its resulting burial, of frostbitten toes and fingers, of trying to drive safely only to have some yahoo in his giant 4x4 go flying past you and shoving your car into the ditch, of having to buy snow tires,mounting them on your car in November and removing them in April, of trying to find a parking space in the supermarket's parking lot when there are mountains of snow, of the danger of slipping and falling on an icy sidewalk, of having to hope the weight of the snow doesn't  tear off your house's gutters when it starts melting..oh, there's plenty of reasons I hate snow.

Now I live in WA State, where it rains. A LOT. We have landslides and right now our rivers are flooding.  But I don't have to shovel it out of my drive way.

Okay, I admit, there are times when it is pretty. But snow is pretty like ducklings are cute. Ducklings are adorable, but they grow up to be ducks.

• Jerrybob likes this

#10 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,373 posts
  • Local time: 06:43 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 12 January 2021 - 04:48 PM

In 2009 I spent the month of December in an RV park in Mission, TX, close to the Mexican border.  Wouldn't you know it, on Christmas eve it snowed, thanks to folks singing "I'm dreaeaeaeming of a whiiiiite Christmas". They got their wish. First snow in that area in 95 years which meant that the local folks had never seen snow. Local paper devoted 5 or 6 pages of pictures of the event. The palm tree was actually shivering.

And here I traveled far and wide, from Montana, to avoid snow. Fortunately, it melted the next day.

Dutchman the snowbird.

winter Twin lakes.jpg

• Meadowlark likes this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#11 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,595 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 12 January 2021 - 05:32 PM

We are just southwest of the DFW metroplex in Glen Rose & we got 6" of snow. The snow was in a line south & west of DFW. My son in in Aggieland in College Station & they got 6 inches. I drove through Stephenville today and they still have a think blanket covering the area, most of our snow was gone late Sunday. 

Toddy come drive down around Glen Rose and you will get more than you want in bugs all over your vehicle. I love having a pretty clean and shinny truck, however that only happens a total of two weeks each year. In the summer that means I can't drive at night (and even sometimes during the day). In the winter when the bugs are gone (Dec- Feb 1) the rain keeps our 3/4 mile long caliche driveway wet and painting the truck white with every pass up/down the drive.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0094 (800x600).jpg
  • IMG_0085 (800x600).jpg
  • IMG_0092 (800x600).jpg
  • IMG_0083 (600x800).jpg

• Meadowlark and cottons like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#12 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 06:05 PM

As others have said.....it's raining real good up here in Western Wash.....we've had 7 inches in the last day and a half.  A section of road we take over to the museum has dropped about 4 inches in last day.....the slews in the fields out front of our house look like lakes.  We are high on hill...no problems right now.  One of our elderly neighbors had a tree fall on their driveway last night.....tree was partially rotted...spent two hours clearing it this morning so they could get out.   We took a drive out by the beach this afternoon.....huge waves......logs rolling around out there.....a lady down near Long Beach was killed by a log this afternoon......not a good time to walk on beaches.  It crazy out there right now.   The good news....our daughter down in Calif. is getting better from covid.....scared the heck out of us because of the hospital problem down there.....luckily.....sounds like she is on the road to recovery.  Stay well...stay safe.    

• Meadowlark likes this

#13 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,317 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:37 PM

Oh, no, Jerry, ..your daughter, and the woman on the beach. A lot of folks who grew up in the Midwest (for instance, moi) never grew up with that old saying, "Never turn your back on the ocean." I learned the easy way, at Cannon Beach, OR...saw a rogue wave coming and managed to hightail it up the slope to the truck.

Did you get the winds last night? We just now, within the last half hour (it's 1430) had our power restored. It went out last night at midnight. Tree limbs down, wires down, transformers lighting up the night...it was one of our 'typical' winter WA storms. I live on prairie, it's like living on a sponge, so we don't worry about flooding. But a lot of the regular suspects..the Tolt, the Skokomish, even the Nisqually rivers are at flood stage. Lots of water over the roads.

Um.................warning to our friends east of the Rockies...you have a big storm coming your way..high winds and a river of rain. Hang tight!

Edited by Meadowlark, 13 January 2021 - 02:38 PM.

#14 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,317 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:39 PM

Clover, 'splain it to this Yankee..what is the meaning of 'whoop 24'?

#15 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 05:33 PM

Oh, no, Jerry, ..your daughter, and the woman on the beach. A lot of folks who grew up in the Midwest (for instance, moi) never grew up with that old saying, "Never turn your back on the ocean." I learned the easy way, at Cannon Beach, OR...saw a rogue wave coming and managed to hightail it up the slope to the truck.

Did you get the winds last night? We just now, within the last half hour (it's 1430) had our power restored. It went out last night at midnight. Tree limbs down, wires down, transformers lighting up the night...it was one of our 'typical' winter WA storms. I live on prairie, it's like living on a sponge, so we don't worry about flooding. But a lot of the regular suspects..the Tolt, the Skokomish, even the Nisqually rivers are at flood stage. Lots of water over the roads.

Um.................warning to our friends east of the Rockies...you have a big storm coming your way..high winds and a river of rain. Hang tight!

Spoke to our daughter a few minutes ago.....she is feeling much better....no symptoms......thank goodness.   As for winds...yea...we had some good gusts last night...lots of small branches down this morning.....had to rake and blow off driveway.  Rain was big last few days......that river next to our museum was full....actually put a little water in the park.....it's down now.....the museum has never been affected by the water. We took a little drive this afternoon at high tide.....water was up to Hwy 101 south of South Bend......looks like the ocean out there where there should be land.  The good news.....beautiful dry day today.....amazing how quickly that water goes away.....supposed to be dry for a few days.....that's a good thing. Glad your power is back.....stay well....stay healthy. 

• Meadowlark likes this