• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,290 posts
  • Local time: 04:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 17 November 2020 - 08:55 AM

We had to purchase a new trickle charger. I have the Casita battery on one, and my riding lawn mower on another. They both have connectors...you have to screw them onto the posts on the battery. Each charger has a pigtail that has the connectors one one end and a typical two prong 'automotive' connector on the battery end.

The new trickle charger (from O'Reillys)  came with both the pigtail and old fashioned alligator clamps. The pigtails have fuses (oddly, one had a 7.5 fuse and the new one has a 10).

The cord ending in the alligator clamps, however, don't have a fuse.

Why would one style (alligator clamp) lack a fuse, and the pigtail (connector) have one?

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#2 West Texan

West Texan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 375 posts
  • Local time: 06:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2020 17’ Freedom Deluxe
  • Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 17 November 2020 - 03:22 PM

We had to purchase a new trickle charger. I have the Casita battery on one, and my riding lawn mower on another. They both have connectors...you have to screw them onto the posts on the battery. Each charger has a pigtail that has the connectors one one end and a typical two prong 'automotive' connector on the battery end.

The new trickle charger (from O'Reillys)  came with both the pigtail and old fashioned alligator clamps. The pigtails have fuses (oddly, one had a 7.5 fuse and the new one has a 10).
The cord ending in the alligator clamps, however, don't have a fuse.

Why would one style (alligator clamp) lack a fuse, and the pigtail (connector) have one?

Using the alligator clips to jump another battery will draw more amps and should not burn the cables, while the other connections are for slow trickle charging.
Hop that helps.

#3 bikedawg

bikedawg
  • Casita Club Member
  • 21 posts
  • Local time: 06:03 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Independence 17
  • Interests:Leaving the crowds behind to cycle far away from the distracted and caged.
  • Trailer Name:StayPuft

Posted 18 November 2020 - 05:10 PM

FWIW, the NOCO charger/maintainers have been the best for the money I've used. Motorcycle batteries will usually die w/in a year or two w/o a charger. I've gotten five years with one, for $50 its a great investment. Theres one on the Casita battery as well when ever hooked up to shore power.

https://no.co/products