6 replies to this topic

#1 Luckyman

Luckyman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 977 posts
  • Local time: 06:32 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2018 Freedom Deluxe 17'

Posted 12 November 2020 - 06:20 PM

I'm going to buy a solar charging system for my Casita.  I've searched the forum and read until I'm cross-eyed.  Seems like there are lot's of systems out there, maybe they all do about the same thing.  Since I'm looking for current information, I thought I'd start a new topic.

My question is, if you were going to buy a new portable solar setup tomorrow, what would you get?  I want something that I can just set up outside and plug into a connection on the trailer, simpler the better.  I'm comfortable doing electrical work, so not concerned about the wiring aspect.  I'm only going to be charging a single Interstate lead acid battery for now, will replace with an AGM in the future.  I want a system which will support minimal usage during the day and still charge the battery for nighttime.

Here's just a few I ran across.  It seems that there are different qualities of units, even within a single brand.

https://www.etrailer...r/34282610.html

https://www.amazon.c...WNrPXRydWU&th=1

https://www.amazon.c...uage=en_US&th=1

I'm open to all suggestions and recommendations and advice.  Thanks.

Life is like a roll of toilet paper............the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes.

Retirement is getting up in the morning with absolutely nothing to do, and going to bed at night with half of it done.

#2 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,588 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 12 November 2020 - 08:28 PM

Larry & Debi Gamble's Little House Customs sells a foldable unit. I've never known LHC to sell anything they have not thoroughly researched & tested. He gets a lot of input from Casita owners and uses the equipment he sells. 

https://littlehousecustoms.com/store.html#elec  

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#3 NW9836

NW9836
  • Casita Club Member
  • 57 posts
  • Local time: 05:32 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 SD/17

Posted 13 November 2020 - 09:48 AM

I bought a Dokio 100 watt unit two years ago. They cost less than $150. Very light weight. Haven't needed to use my generator for two years including a 6000 mile round trip to Alaska. I was getting so confident I stopped bringing the generator until I ran into a long rainy period at the Hoh rainforest this season.

#4 Barb Dwyer

Barb Dwyer
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Interests:Camping, Hiking, Paddle boarding, Surfing, Slacklining. . .

Posted 13 November 2020 - 02:29 PM

We use the Renogy 200 Watt Monocrystalline Foldable Solar Suitcase, 200W Panel-20A Controller. We almost exclusively boondock and have never run out of power. Our camping trips run from 3-21 days. The solar suitcase will even pull in light charge on cloudy/rainy days. We also added a quick connect plug for the solar panel on the outside of the Casita next to the battery compartment.

#5 Luckyman

Luckyman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 977 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 06:42 PM

We use the Renogy 200 Watt Monocrystalline Foldable Solar Suitcase, 200W Panel-20A Controller. We almost exclusively boondock and have never run out of power. Our camping trips run from 3-21 days. The solar suitcase will even pull in light charge on cloudy/rainy days. We also added a quick connect plug for the solar panel on the outside of the Casita next to the battery compartment.

Thanks.  How many batteries do you have?  Do you have a link to the quick connect plug, or a part number?

Life is like a roll of toilet paper............the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes.

Retirement is getting up in the morning with absolutely nothing to do, and going to bed at night with half of it done.

#6 Luckyman

Luckyman
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 977 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 06:43 PM

Larry & Debi Gamble's Little House Customs sells a foldable unit. I've never known LHC to sell anything they have not thoroughly researched & tested. He gets a lot of input from Casita owners and uses the equipment he sells. 

https://littlehousecustoms.com/store.html#elec  

I bought a Dokio 100 watt unit two years ago. They cost less than $150. Very light weight. Haven't needed to use my generator for two years including a 6000 mile round trip to Alaska. I was getting so confident I stopped bringing the generator until I ran into a long rainy period at the Hoh rainforest this season.

Thanks.  I will look at both of these options.

#7 Barb Dwyer

Barb Dwyer
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17'
  • Interests:Camping, Hiking, Paddle boarding, Surfing, Slacklining. . .

Posted 15 November 2020 - 10:21 AM

Thanks.  How many batteries do you have?  Do you have a link to the quick connect plug, or a part number?
We have one AGM battery. The connections on the Renogy solar suitcase are MC4, so you need an MC4 to SAE adapter to connect to the trailer.

Edited by Barb Dwyer, 15 November 2020 - 10:25 AM.

• Barb Dwyer likes this