Photo

Anyone With Experience With A Duracell Power Source?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,290 posts
  • Local time: 03:36 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 12 November 2020 - 05:40 PM

We're newbies to Costco. I know, probably the last ones on the planet? But hearing aids are far cheaper at Costco than just about anywhere else, as we learned when my husband finally was convinced he needed them.

He was in Costco today and saw a thing called a Duracell Power source. From what I gather, it's like a generator without an engine. It's a 12V battery with a lot of bells and whistles.

We've been thinking about getting one for power outages and camping...although I already have a 5K generator for power outages..and don't want to get a real genertor for camping. I think we'd use it mainly to keep the battery on the casita charged and powering my toaster when we dry camp, which is more often than not.

Anyone out there with any experience? Comments, opinions?

I'll attach/insert a clip off the net showing the thing.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#2 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,588 posts
  • Local time: 05:36 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 12 November 2020 - 08:40 PM

I've been looking at portable power stations when I read a camping blog about the GoalZero Yeti,  They seem to be a bit pricely. My concern is how long do they last before your can't re-charge them? I've owned several "jump boxes" that I carry in the truck as it seems we always have something on the ranch that needs a jump start. They never seem to last for more than a few years. Much is probably due to the fact it is always in the truck in 100+ down to 20 degree heat/cold . 

https://www.goalzero...power-stations/

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#3 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 731 posts
  • Local time: 05:36 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 13 November 2020 - 07:52 AM

I do not have personal experience with power stations, but I have watched a bunch of content on YouTube. Playing With Sticks has a nice video on considerations for selecting the right size power station for you - https://www.youtube....h?v=rVU8BVqXxi0. The going rate for a power station is $1/watt so 660W for $499 is a great deal. That is the Costco website price so they may be even cheaper in stores. I do know there is some power loss in translation but I suspect this unit will reliably power a 600W appliance, so you will need to consider your needs. It will not run a 700W microwave or coffee maker.

Your other consideration is how do you plan to recharge it? Based on the picture I believe it has a built in MPT which allows you to plug a solar panel directly into the unit without the need for an interface, but I cannot find anywhere on the website where it actually says that so you may wish to read the box in the store. I think some solar panels come with the MPT attached so you will just need to look for things like that.

If your camping style takes you out for long weekends, you can simply recharge the device from an electric outlet when you get home. But without electric hookups during your husband's six week annual wander about, he will need to determine a way to recharge. There is an equation to calculate the runtime of the power station, but I believe it is something along the lines of this until being able to power a 600W appliance continuously for 1 hour. So if you run your 600W toaster for 5 minutes per day, you can get 12 days usage out of the power station. I believe Playing With Sticks has the equation in his video listed above.

As for using it to recharge the Casita battery, I am not sure that is a doable application for it. It may work, but I suspect it will zap every ounce of power out of it to top your battery off. You may be better served using it to recharge your laptop, phone, tablet, and run LED lights thereby reducing drain on your Casita battery.

Finally, one of the nice features about a Costco membership is that they will take returns no questions asked, so like Clover says above, if the thing doesn't last very long you can always return it. Or if you use it and decide that it doesn't power any of the devices/appliances that you intended it for, Costco will take it back.

If it were me, I would grab the horn of adventure and give it a yank by buying this unit and giving it a go. You really have nothing to lose unless your toaster exceeds 600W. Best of luck!

Toddy

• Meadowlark likes this

#4 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 433 posts
  • Local time: 06:36 AM
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 13 November 2020 - 08:06 AM

In most cases the battery already in your Casita holds more amp hours than the portable supply.  As Toddy mentioned, using it to recharge your trailer battery is not going to be very effective.  If you are looking for more power for the trailer, I'd add another battery & an inverter (to make to toast).  While a bit of a project, it would be more efficient and might even be less expensive.  Most of the so called Power Stations or solid state generators are expensive for what you get.  Many don't list the most important specification - amp hours, and run things for far less time than the owners expect.

If you are looking for a simple way to provide 120V AC to your picnic table, they might be an expensive solution, but you already have most of the components built into your Casita.

Edited by vermilye, 13 November 2020 - 01:13 PM.

• Meadowlark likes this

#5 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,295 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 13 November 2020 - 09:41 AM

I'll let the experts talk about the power source.....we have a small 1850w generator that we haven't taken camping for years.....used to but haven't for a long time.  I do use it on the property at times.  We also have a 5700w generator for the house....bought it after the big storm in 2007....we lost power for 5 days.   As for Cosco....we've been a customer for many years....good prices on some things.  Their hearing aids are great....current Cosco brand is sold for $1500....made by the same company Phonak that sells the same unit for $5K at private offices.  I have them...great price...great hearing aid...great warranty.    Good luck with the power thing.    

• Meadowlark likes this

#6 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 230 posts
  • Local time: 06:36 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 13 November 2020 - 11:05 AM

Here is a link to the tech specs.

https://www.duracell...t-power-station

It is basically a 55 Amp-hour AGM battery with an inverter rated to put out 1440 watts of 120 Vac continuous. Since it is rated at 660 watt-hours, it could supply a 1440 watt load for less than 30 minutes before needing recharging.

To add a little perspective, the typical battery in a Casita has a capacity of 90 to100 amp-hours.

I can think of better ways to spend $700.

#7 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,290 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 13 November 2020 - 01:12 PM

Hey, thanks, everybody! That's why I love this forum, I can pick the brains of folks who've more experience with things such as this power source.

For the moment, we've put the purchase on hold.

As for Costco's hearing aids, my husband is pretty happy with them and the service we've gotten from Costco. But, he says, suddenly the cat is far louder than he remembers..

I bite my tongue to keep from saying, no, she's ALWAYS been that loud. (the cat is Siamese, and anyone who's ever owned one knows of what I speak..)

• Jerrybob likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."