5 replies to this topic

#1 Rojo

Rojo
  • Casita Club Member
  • 23 posts
  • Local time: 04:33 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 16'

Posted 30 September 2020 - 01:28 PM

My fridge door is sagging to the left and the culprit seems to be the top hinge is loose and moves back and forth.  Not a major problem but it is getting worse over time.  Thought I would take care of it before I found the door laying in the aisle one day.

Is there a way to get to the screws to tighten them up?  Can (and if so how do) I remove the trim to access it?  It seems like I should be able to pry it loose but I am little concerned about damaging it.  Anyone else had this problem and how do you resolve it? 

Here is a pic of the offending hinge and surround. zrefridgerator.jpg

#2 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 732 posts
  • Local time: 03:33 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 30 September 2020 - 06:28 PM

I searched "Dometic refrigerator door hinge" and got lots of returned video options. Check them out here - https://www.youtube....tor door hinge . Best of luck!

Toddy

#3 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,291 posts
  • Local time: 01:33 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 01 October 2020 - 07:43 AM

Little House Customs sells the reinforcement plate for the top hinge. And bottom, although we didn't get the bottom one. My husband said it was 'a breeze' to install. I know this isn't the information you asked for, it's just a tip.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#4 Rojo

Rojo
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 23 posts
  • Local time: 04:33 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 16'

Posted 05 October 2020 - 10:03 AM

Hot Toddy, thank you.  I had looked through the videos to no avail.  Lots of stuff on Norcold but not much on Dometic and nothing that shows how to access the hinge.  

I have contacted Casita and their best answer to date is to pull the entire refrigerator; not what I really wanted to hear.  I have asked about cutting an access hole from the bottom of the microwave cabinet but have not heard back yet.  I also have two support requests into Dometic with no response. 

Meadowlark, could you ask your husband how he got to the bracket?  I looked at the plate offered by LHC and it looks like I would still have to access the top of the unit to install the new plate.

#5 J and J

J and J
  • Casita Club Member
  • 81 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe/17ft

Posted 05 October 2020 - 02:40 PM

Rojo, Little House Customs hinge reinforcement kit comes with good directions. You'll need a 10mm wrench. If all you are doing is installing this kit you'll not need to do lots of invasive removal unless you have other issues.

John

#6 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 594 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 07 October 2020 - 07:57 AM

Rojo, I see the  pic of the offending part. The hinge reinforcement kit talked about here is for the part of the hinge that is part of the door, not the frame. That kit will not help with the part your having problems with, the frame part of the fridge . Perhaps someone has had to repair that piece and will post up their repair. 

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refrigerator, repairs, trim