Photo

Anyone With Experience With Harvest Host?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,255 posts
  • Local time: 11:02 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:53 AM

My brother just bought a used land yacht, a 36' Tiffin Open Road. He needs that big thing as his son is quadraplegic and is confined to a wheel chair, and has the World's Best Service Dog ever.

HE told me about this 'association' called Harvest Host.  From what I can gather from the website, it's a private club where members allow RV'ers to stay at their place for a night. The place can be a museum, a winery, a farm, a working ranch, or just someone's back pasture. The requirement is that your unit be completely self contained, meaning no tents, and they don't provide things like power, water or sewer, no dump station, etc.

They're adamant about that aspect. If you have pets you must check with the host before hand,  some places don't allow dogs. (and if you wonder why...most farms and ranchers have dogs that object very much to some strange dog pee'ing on their turf).

They are all over the map, as far as I could see, and they also encourage people to join if you have the room or the venue. For instance, we could, ostensibly, join as a 'host' because we have plenty of room for an RV.

"Units' such as our Casita, etc are allowed, although it does seem geared towards the big road boats like the one my brother bought.

Anyone have any experience with the association? I'm trying to figure out if it's something we might be interested in.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#2 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 709 posts
  • Local time: 02:02 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:15 AM

I have been looking at their website over the summer and thinking about joining as a camper, not as a host. It looks like a great deal for one or two nights of camping during ones travels. You can book one night in advance and some hosts will allow two, but setting up and breaking down every other night might get tiresome

With their September discount, I believe an annual membership will run $67. That will pay for itself if you use it three or four times. I think it would be a great way to meet people. I think it would also be wise to spend some time looking at a map. I noticed their are dozens of host sites scattered around the state of Texas but zero in Arkansas. My good friend Claire and I are planning on taking the Great River Road trip and the Lake Superior Circle Tour next summer, so we will probably join next spring to supplement our boon-docking along the way.

Toddy
  • Meadowlark likes this

#3 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,261 posts
  • Local time: 12:02 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 16 September 2020 - 08:47 AM

I don't know a lot about them but I can tell you that we have the Willapa Lavender Farm near us and we know the owners quite well.  They have opened one of their fields up to this group and have hosted many travelers. The folks staying have helped on the farm....harvesting levender....weed pulling.....some tractor work etc.....they have had everything from tent campers to big motor homes.  The farm does not offer hook ups but does have a porta potty.  We have had many of their visitors come to the museum. 

• Meadowlark likes this

#4 Daryl&Mary

Daryl&Mary
  • Casita Club Member
  • 72 posts
  • Local time: 11:02 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe (Sold)

Posted 26 September 2020 - 06:22 PM

We stayed at a Harvest Host winery and enjoyed it. But it was not free. After a wine sampling, we ended up buying a whole case of wine. Next time we'll stick with a bottle, but at least we got to drink our camping fee. It was pretty good wine. :wacko:

Nice location and gracious hosts. We still have our membership, and can recommend them.  

We sold our Casita Spirit a few years ago and bought a 22' Born Free MH. All fiberglass, and the layout is like the Independence. Happy with the BF (love the twin beds), but we still have fond memories of the Casita. It was fun to drop by. Happy camping! 

• Meadowlark likes this
Daryl & Mary
Ex-2005 17'SD - The "Cozita"
Now- Born Free 22' "Built for Two" MH
Mesa, AZ

#5 friz

friz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 775 posts
  • Local time: 01:02 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' LD

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:03 AM

If you have one of those giant motor homes with 2 rear axles, you definitely DON'T want to camp in a field. Only one set of axles is driven. You will need a tow truck just crossing a small dip.

• Meadowlark likes this