• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 684 posts
  • Local time: 11:14 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:35 PM

I am thinking about replacing the electrical outlet under the dinette table with one that has built in USB ports like the one shown below. Has anyone done that and was it pretty straight forward? I can wire an outlet so assuming this will be an easy upgrade. I would like to switch out the one on the side of the kitchenette, but that is a GFCI outlet and I can't seem to find one with USB ports so will probably leave that one alone. They come in 15amp and 20amp. I assume the circuit breaker is 15amp so stick with the 15amp outlet? Any feedback/advice?

Toddy

Electric Outlet with USB Ports.jpg

Edited by Hot Toddy, 27 July 2020 - 05:46 PM.

#2 Smokymtgirl03

Smokymtgirl03
  • Casita Club Member
  • 62 posts
  • Local time: 12:14 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 Spirit Deluxe 17ft
  • Interests:Working on #2, a 1997 16 Ft Freedom Deluxe now that Annie is finished. Camping,Fly Fishing, Hiking, Paddling (Canoe and Kayak),Pretty much anything outside...
  • Trailer Name:Raggedy Annie and #2

Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:04 PM

Hi,

They are simple to do.  During the remodel of both of my Casitas, I replaced all outlets in both trailers and swapped a couple of the regular outlets for USB port outlets.  I have also put one in my kitchen at  home and in the kitchen and bedroom at my son's house.  They are really handy.  They don't charge as fast as the normal cell phone charger, but they work great, otherwise.

Cindy

#3 Smokymtgirl03

Smokymtgirl03
  • Casita Club Member
  • 62 posts
  • Local time: 12:14 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 Spirit Deluxe 17ft
  • Interests:Working on #2, a 1997 16 Ft Freedom Deluxe now that Annie is finished. Camping,Fly Fishing, Hiking, Paddling (Canoe and Kayak),Pretty much anything outside...
  • Trailer Name:Raggedy Annie and #2

Posted 27 July 2020 - 06:05 PM

Sorry, mine are the 15 amp...

#4 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,197 posts
  • Local time: 08:14 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 28 July 2020 - 09:41 AM

Can you charge a phone on DC?

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#5 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 684 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 01 August 2020 - 08:03 AM

After diddling around with switching this outlet I learned that Casita wired the outlet under the closet into the outlet under the dinette. At first I thought there were two service wires leading to the outlet and began planning to salvage the additional wire for a second outlet. When I finished wiring and learned that I didn't have power to either outlet, I figured out one was simply an extension from the other. Got her all fixed up and am please with my results. Having USB ports to recharge electronics without the need for an adapter will free-up the electrical outlets for a permanent margarita blender. I make joke.

Toddy

• Meadowlark and Jerrybob like this

#6 Linda & Bob, K4TAX

Linda & Bob, K4TAX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 149 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1999, 17 SD
  • Trailer Name:Room 4 Two
  • Casita Club Directory #:2033

Posted 01 August 2020 - 01:27 PM

In a short answer YES.  However you need to be on generator power or shore power for the outlet to provide DC to charge the phone.  If you have neither generator power or shore power available,  then the outlet won't charge the phone. 

Bob

• Meadowlark likes this

#7 friz

friz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 767 posts
  • Local time: 10:14 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' LD

Posted 02 August 2020 - 09:39 AM

There are plenty of adapters available that plug into the cigarette lighter socket and have USB outlets. Get the one that has 2 outlets, a 1 amp, the other 2 amp capacity.

Edited by friz, 02 August 2020 - 09:39 AM.

• Linda & Bob, K4TAX likes this

#8 Mark P

Mark P
  • Casita Club Member
  • 121 posts
  • Local time: 09:14 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' 2007 FD

Posted 02 August 2020 - 09:45 AM

Our digital battery voltage monitor (plugged into the cigarette lighter 'socket') has a USB port for charging.  We use the monitor's USB port to charge the phone (with DC voltage from the Casita battery) when we are not on AC power  --  which is nearly all the time.

Edit:  Sorry Friz  --  it looks like I was still typing at the same time you were already posting essentially the same information.  So  --  X2 what Friz said.  :)

Edit #2:  And in our case, when every 2-3 days we fire up the generator for the period it takes to charge the Casita battery, we either use the phone's AC wall-wart charger in one of the Casita wall sockets, or charge again from the USB port on the battery voltage monitor.  (The generator is charging the Casita battery faster than the battery is discharging to the phone, so when we have AC it doesn't matter if the phone is charging from DC or AC.)

So for us, we have all the options we need to plug in the phone for charging, either on DC or AC. 

Edited by Mark P, 02 August 2020 - 10:13 AM.

• Meadowlark likes this

Mark and Ann
2007 17' FD
2017 Ram Laramie 1500