• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 L.K. Graham

L.K. Graham
  • Casita Club Member
  • 62 posts
  • Local time: 10:09 PM

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:03 AM

On a short trip to beautiful Carter Lake in Colorado, I found that the sink trap fittings had shaken loose under the galley sink, resulting in a leak that soaked everything stored beneath. All I had to do was hand tighten the plastic collars, so no big deal. So, the tip is to check those fittings periodically, as they can shake loose. 

#2 jwpark

jwpark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 196 posts
  • Local time: 12:09 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 16ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:canoeing, kayaking, camping, web design

Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:43 AM

Probably never tighten in the first place.

I removed the 120 vac receptacle in the closet wall to turn it over 180 degrees. In doing so I discovered loops had been formed on the ends of the

conductors and placed around the screws but the screws had never been tightened. They were still in the full retracted position. The AC plugs into that receptacle. Fortunately I had never turned on the AC except to check that it would run after picking the trailer up at the factory. Just one of many problems with sloppy workmanship I discovered over time. I think the new guy/girl must have been assigned to build my trailer. 

• Meadowlark likes this

#3 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,197 posts
  • Local time: 09:09 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 27 July 2020 - 12:07 PM

We had the same thing happen with the sink trap in our SD. fortunately, I had stored a bowl underneath the sink, and it caught the water. Still, upon inspection, we found that the silicon that Casita had lined the collar with only went around the collar where it was easy to apply. Meaning a good 1/3 of it had never been siliconed.

Over and over, I've found, my SD was a Friday trailer...shoddy work, sloppy installation, little in any QA/QC and numerous things that were done halfass or not at all. It was definitely a 'git 'er done by noon, it's Miller time" trailer.

On the other hand, having to rectify so many errors in it taught me that one, things CAN be fixed, it's NOT a disaster, and now I can say, yeah, I know how to fix that.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#4 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 684 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 27 July 2020 - 05:15 PM

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. They must have gotten a new crew by 2013 because I feel like Casita hatched a pretty good egg for me. The only issue I had was a crack in the black water drain-pipe. A short trip back to the factory (we live 40 miles away) and it was fixed under warranty. I am grateful for getting the old style bathroom sink and the Coleman Polar Cub A/C. They upgraded both of those items shortly after I took possession of my trailer Easter Weekend 2013.

Toddy

#5 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,333 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 27 July 2020 - 07:13 PM

My 2003 17SD also was a good egg.  A few things caught were promptly rectified the next day. And, once again, that's why it so advantageous to stay overnight in the Rice area and check everything out.  

Meadowlark, I doubt the factory does Miller time. When I went thru the factory tour the entire personnel was Spanish speaking; When my guide and I went back into the (English speaking) showroom I fully expected to have to go through immigration.

I think it's Tequila Time, ¿si como no? 

El Holandez

• Meadowlark likes this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#6 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,197 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 28 July 2020 - 09:39 AM

Es verdad, Dutchman, yo no pense en tequila...no lo bebo.

#7 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,333 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 28 July 2020 - 10:13 AM

Can't let that one go. If  you too much bebo, you might go bobo. :rolleyes: 

And, have  you seen that famous Mexican movie called "Tequila Mockingbird"?

I will now linguistically self quarantine for six months. :ph34r:

Dutchman

Edited by Dutchman, 28 July 2020 - 10:15 AM.

• Meadowlark likes this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#8 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,568 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:05 AM

There was a particular year that Larry Gamble indicated more than once, was a year with a lot of inconsistent and low quality work coming out of Casita. Seems like it was in the "teens". 

Casita probably has roll over of workers in the factory on a regular basis. Part of how they turn out a product we can afford is the cost and quality of their labor force. Working in that factory around the fiberglass fabrication in the heat of the summer and cold of the winter with all of the doors closed up can't be the best long-term job. 

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#9 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 539 posts
  • Local time: 01:09 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 30 July 2020 - 01:42 PM

Clover......

Good to know, and to recognize reasonable problems Casita probably faces continuously,  Overall, though, I'm very impressed with their quality in comparison with most stick-builds.   Thanks!

Frank   :rolleyes:

Edited by NASA42 B, 30 July 2020 - 01:43 PM.

• Meadowlark likes this

#10 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,197 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 02:04 PM

Oh, I complain about my 2011 SD but I'm still stuck on it. Now that we've got the bugs worked out of her, Grus Egg is family. 

No stick builts for me, thank you! I heard an ad on today's radio, it was an RV dealer in Seattle extolling the 'big' sale of RV's and trailers they're having. They said that they have "Jaycos in stock" and among the many virtues he said one of them was, and I quote, "Amish craftsmanship."  Really. From what I know, the Amish don't use power tools, or build with aluminum, or go camping. When I lived in Maryland I saw Amish plowing with horse teams (lovely Belgians and Suffolks, you bet!), I saw an old fashioned 'barn raising' where they literally raised the side of a new barn with long poles and plenty of manpower.  So what in the world is Jayco claiming is Amish craftsmanship?

• Dutchman and Jerrybob like this

#11 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,224 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 30 July 2020 - 05:16 PM

Meadowlark....funny Amish story.  A few months back....I called on an Amish buggy for sale.  I am interested in an original Amish buggy from the late 1800's to the very eraly 1900's. There are not many out there. There are many Amish buggies available.....the one I called on was relatively new....built in the 1990's.  It had disc brakes....turn signals and a battery compartment that could hold two 12 volt batteries to run the stereo and the running lights.  If it had a bed....would have been nicer than my Casita.....LOL!  Many of the current Amish craftsman use power tools in their electric shops.  They are great crafsman.   

• NASA42 B likes this

#12 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,197 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 06:44 PM

I did not know that, Jerrybob. meaning, I didn't realize that they'd started using power tools. Mind you, each 'sect' creates it's own rules, so...

And yes, they're fabulous craftsmen. I remember entering an Amish furniture shop in Pennsylvania Dutch country...there was a dining room table made of hickory. It It was drop dead gorgeous. I seldom am tempted to buy furniture that I don't need...but I was sorely tested that day! Oh..and the price was a wee bit high for my budget. Couldn't afford it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

But I have to say, I truly believe the battery powered drill is probably one of the top ten inventions of mankind.

• Jerrybob and NASA42 B like this

#13 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,245 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:43 AM

Oh, I complain about my 2011 SD but I'm still stuck on it. Now that we've got the bugs worked out of her, Grus Egg is family. 

No stick builts for me, thank you! I heard an ad on today's radio, it was an RV dealer in Seattle extolling the 'big' sale of RV's and trailers they're having. They said that they have "Jaycos in stock" and among the many virtues he said one of them was, and I quote, "Amish craftsmanship."  Really. From what I know, the Amish don't use power tools, or build with aluminum, or go camping. When I lived in Maryland I saw Amish plowing with horse teams (lovely Belgians and Suffolks, you bet!), I saw an old fashioned 'barn raising' where they literally raised the side of a new barn with long poles and plenty of manpower.  So what in the world is Jayco claiming is Amish craftsmanship?

Yep, good old advertising hype, and total BS, too! I used to do a lot of work for a marine contractor repairing and installing equipment on boats all around the Puget Sound area. Everything from little "run-abouts" to 120' mega-yachts with a helo deck and a sunken hot tub, (and yeah, they had the helo too!). When you work on boats, (and trailers too,) you get to not only see what the builder's installed, but how they are put together. And, fwiw, "Jayco's" are the equivalent of what "Bayliner" is to boating. Yes, they are both "starter" boats and RV's, respectively, and appear to offer you a lot of stuff, but it is also full of hidden, (and sometimes not-so-hidden,) cheaper construction and equipment, particularly hardware and appliances. There's a reason that Olivers cost what they do compared to our rigs and Bolers or Trilliums, etc, and why an Ocean Alexander costs more than an equivalent sized Bayliner.

Edited by Euphoria, 31 July 2020 - 11:44 AM.

• Meadowlark and NASA42 B like this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754