#1 gingerpod

gingerpod
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 08:07 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe/17
  • Trailer Name:Gingerpod

Posted 16 July 2020 - 10:41 AM

We have a renogy solar panel and a wonderer control. When we hook it up, we have to remove the battery and put the connectors on. This is a huge pain. How can we connect the panels so that we just leave something like a pigtail connected to the battery? Can we use MC4 connectors? 

#2 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,324 posts
  • Local time: 07:07 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 16 July 2020 - 06:12 PM

We use a pigtail with an automotive, standard two plug connector. But after looking up what an MC4 looks like, I have to believe it would work.  Just make sure you label the solar panel plug to differentiate it from the pigtail for the battery itself. I learned that when I hooked up our 90 watt and it wasn't charging...because I'd hooked up the wrong plug!

Electrical connector automotive.JPG

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#3 Linda & Bob, K4TAX

Linda & Bob, K4TAX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 177 posts
  • Local time: 09:07 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:WE Sold it!
  • Trailer Name:Room 4 Two
  • Casita Club Directory #:2033

Posted 18 July 2020 - 06:21 PM

My suggestion is Power Pole connectors.  These are very adequately current rated, and are polarized which prevents improper connection.  I would not use MC4 connectors. 

See the following link for further information.   There are several sources for these connectors. 

https://powerwerx.co...AiABEgJyGfD_BwE

Bob

#4 vermilye

vermilye
  • Casita Club Member
  • 435 posts
  • Local time: 10:07 AM
  • Interests:Photography, travel

Posted 19 July 2020 - 06:42 AM

My suggestion is Power Pole connectors.  These are very adequately current rated, and are polarized which prevents improper connection.  I would not use MC4 connectors. 

See the following link for further information.   There are several sources for these connectors. 

https://powerwerx.co...AiABEgJyGfD_BwE

Bob

2X.

MC 4 connectors are really designed for one shot use.  While they can be plugged & unplugged, you will likely need a tool to unlock them.  Either SAE (ZAMP) connectors or powerwerx connectors make more sense for portable systems.  I found that the SAE connectors became intermittent after a few years of use & switched to the Powerwerx / Anderson connectors. 

• Linda & Bob, K4TAX likes this

#5 Puffe

Puffe
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 10:07 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17

Posted 01 September 2020 - 01:54 PM

I connected the charge controller output to a 7-pin trailer hitch so that the power went in the same pin as when the car's alternator is powering the trailer.  This charges the battery.  So I just unhook the trailer from the car, and then plug my solar panel into the trailer's cable that was attached to the car.  It works fine and charges the battery well.  I did not have to drill any holes, or run any wires.  And I can relocate my portable solar panel (Renogy) where up to almost 20 feet from my trailer's hitch.

• Linda & Bob, K4TAX and Meadowlark like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Solar, battery, renogy