• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 672 posts
  • Local time: 05:10 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 25 June 2020 - 12:18 PM

I am on the fence about installing an EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Starter from Micro-Air. We have the Polar Cub 9,200 BTU A/C on a 17' Spirit Deluxe. We also carry a Champion 2,800 watt generator which powers the A/C just fine. Sometimes we run the A/C in the driveway connected to a 110V outlet through a 12 Gauge extension cord rated up to 15 amps (the A/C draws 8.5-8.9 amps). So my question is, do you recommend the soft starter or not? How about on a home A/C? I have a 3-ton A/C on the house that runs June, July and August in North Texas. I am curious as to how much money it would save in a home application.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Toddy

MicroAire EasyStart 364.jpg

#2 Tombrown

Tombrown
  • Casita Club Member
  • 115 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit 17 SD #12415
  • Interests:Picked up our Casita Aug 2014. HE: Retired pilot, Vietnam vet, garage tinkerer, SCUBA diver, sports car enthusiast, RC aircraft and HAM radio hobbyist: KD5ETJ. SHE: exotic plant grower, history buff, SCUBA diver, writer.
  • Trailer Name:Gone Walkabout
  • Casita Club Directory #:14442

Posted 25 June 2020 - 12:37 PM

I have a Coleman Mach air conditioner that I power with a Honda 2000 generator. I clearly need a soft start. I have to use a USB on my TV to keep it running when the ac comes on. Not sure what me options are. I looked into it some time ago but I've forgotten the options.

#3 Jim&Clare

Jim&Clare
  • Casita Club Member
  • 176 posts
  • Local time: 11:10 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:SOLD 2002 Bigfoot 17
  • Interests:Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Posted 26 June 2020 - 01:14 AM

...So my question is, do you recommend the soft starter or not? How about on a home A/C? I have a 3-ton A/C on the house that runs June, July and August in North Texas. I am curious as to how much money it would save in a home application.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Toddy

Toddy,

Are you thinking that the easy-start will reduce your electric bill?  Seems dubious to me. 

Although it lowers the initial in-rush current, the whole start sequence takes longer.

Not sure of the difference in total energy it takes between the 2 methods. 

Dont forget that the biggest cost is the ongoing "run" cost. I would hazard a guess that is the most significant part of the cost.   

But just for a laugh, lets pretend that you can reduce the 30 amps for 2 seconds to 10 amps for 2 seconds every time it starts. 

So you are "saving" 20 amps* 2 seconds.

Lets say it starts 20 times a day for 100 days.

Thats a saving of 80,000 amp*seconds = 22 amp*hours.     = 2444 kwH   

If you are paying 10c /KwH thats a saving of $244.

Adjust the numbers above to suit your assumptions.

But the question is - does it actually reduce the total mount of energy need to start the beast?  I have no idea!

But it was fun thinking about it.

Jim

• Linda & Bob, K4TAX likes this

Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Saw the country in a 2002 Bigfoot 17 - now sold.

Where is Jim now? Hiding in the UK until Covid passes.

#4 Bubba

Bubba
  • Casita Club Member
  • 497 posts
  • Local time: 03:10 PM

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:48 AM

Yes, I would recommend. Regarding trailer installation. Both my previously owned Casita (Polar Cub 9,200) and my current Nash 17K (AirExcel 13,500) had/have EasyStart installed. The EasyStart made a significant different in the ability for the generator to run the air conditioner, plus it took away that “thump” on the ceiling when the compressor would kick in. I’ve changed the wiring on both trailers to where I can power the air condition ONLY from shore power or my Honda  generator. According to my Kill-A-Watt the AirExcel went from 16 to 14 amps RUNNING amps. The start-up happens too fast for me to see the amps on the Kill-A-Watt.

I had EasyStart 368 installed on my heat pumps that serve my current home 20.  It took away that dimming lights of the lights when the compressor kicks in. I don’t think the installation  saved me any money, but it sure helped my standby generator.  The standby generator startup for  just one of the heat pumps seems to be a lot better.

Bubba (Member 1527)
N 30.053633
W-95.230900
Altitude 69 ft
2010 Tundra Double Cab 8' bed
17' Casita a.k.a.Omelet
post-1045-1281522225_thumb.jpg

#5 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,235 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 27 June 2020 - 09:34 AM

Toddy,

I have the same Polar Cub, and the Micro-Air easy Start conversion, and I will say, it's not at all about saving electricity, or lowering your electric usage. That would be a non-issue in my book. It is all about being able to start it on a small generator, because it is a "stepping relay" that doesn't choke your generator down to parade rest, but most importantly, to me anyways, when the A/C kicks on, it doesn't shake the whole trailer and wake the dead while doing it. All I hear when it kicks on is a whoosh of air. You don't even know it's running. I can sleep through it cycling. You're not saving electricity, you're saving yourself from the annoying loud start-up cycles. I'm glad I installed it, and since having it, I wouldn't want to not have it. Just my 2 cents.

• Linda & Bob, K4TAX and NASA42 B like this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#6 Joe Romas

Joe Romas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 328 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD
  • Interests:Hobbies are machining, doing "mods" to my Casita, camping and keeping busy.

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:47 PM

On your trailer, I highly recommend it. Had one on my Casita that I sold and it worked fantastically.

I also have a 3 ton house AC and I installed an easy start on it too. On my home AC the condenser fan, furnace blower and AC compressor all started at once and my lights would dim for a second and the furnace blower started a little slower  on commercial power. The easy starts resolved all of that. I have a new service panel and proper wiring, it's an old neighborhood thing.

Now about cost savings, do you have a smart meter? If so the power company sees that surge and could possibly start charging a surcharge down the road. My wife's Mealey vacuum cleaner made in Germany has a slow starter of some type on it and complies with rules governing surge current.

Joe and Mary Romas
Columbus, OH
1999 Casita 17' SD
2017 GMC Seirra

#7 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 672 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:28 AM

Thanks for all of your input and feedback. I ordered my Easy-start from Hutch Mountain this morning. They are an authorized distributor of Micro-air products and offered the best deal on the internet - $273.61 out the door. I should have it by Wednesday and hopefully installed by Thursday morning. Wish me luck!

Toddy

#8 johnwen1

johnwen1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 06:10 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe 17'

Posted 03 July 2020 - 04:14 PM

Toddy, I used this youtube to help me. 

It was very helpful.  I did not remove the old capacitor from it's mount or cut any wires as he did in the video however.

Good luck

John

Edited by johnwen1, 04 July 2020 - 05:21 AM.