• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,372 posts
  • Local time: 08:32 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 19 June 2020 - 09:47 PM

It's because WA and OR have lost a lot of forest trees to disease and insects.  They are trying to prevent wood from other areas from introducing new diseases or insects.  There have been studies where NW Pacific organizations bought untreated firewood from other states and kept it to study how many were carryers of new diseases and insects.  It has become quite a problem.

Edited by Carol Christensen, 19 June 2020 - 10:02 PM.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#17 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,300 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 20 June 2020 - 08:05 AM

I used to do "fire wood" camp fires, but in the past few years I have gotten away from them. I also bought one of those portable Propane fire rings and we just throw a couple of 30# Propane tanks in the truck to feed them, (and our Camp Chef Propane stove.) It's nice to be able to have a little "campfire" inside our Clam shelter without worrying about burning it up or choking on the smoke.

Edited by Euphoria, 20 June 2020 - 08:08 AM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#18 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,324 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 20 June 2020 - 08:07 AM

Duh, Carol, you're right. I'd completely forgotten that fact. I think I need more RAM in my brain...my hard drive is FULL.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#19 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,335 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 20 June 2020 - 08:58 AM

It's because WA and OR have lost a lot of forest trees to disease and insects.  They are trying to prevent wood from other areas from introducing new diseases or insects.  There have been studies where NW Pacific organizations bought untreated firewood from other states and kept it to study how many were carryers of new diseases and insects.  It has become quite a problem.

This is very true Carol.....it is recommended you do not bring or move firewood around to various campsites for the reasons you state. .  I do not believe it is illegal...but it is highly recommended.  Camp fire wood is often provided at a reasonable price.....for $5.....you can buy enough to have a nice fire for one night.  Heck...it's cheaper than a cup of coffee these days. Bring your own axe....buy your wood at the campsite.  Have fun!

#20 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,300 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 20 June 2020 - 09:59 AM

As an aside, many of the parks that are reopening, most are offering limited amenities such as closed visitors centers, no firewood sales, closed showers, etc, and they are not offering firewood sales in many of them as a part of their limited services right now. Just a "heads up."

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754