Linda & Bob, K4TAX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 169 posts
  • Local time: 11:22 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:WE Sold it!
  • Trailer Name:Room 4 Two
  • Casita Club Directory #:2033

Posted 08 May 2020 - 12:10 PM

I've a few minor stress cracks and one slight bit of damage where a good size tree limb falling and striking our trailer.  {That will disturb ones sleeping.}   There are 3 hairline cracks about 6" long in the radius of the roof/side area.   What is the best way to repair this?   Didn't puncture the fiberglass and does not leak. 

I was thinking of using a Dremel and making a V groove on each one and then fill the V with 2 part, J B Weld white marine epoxy.   Any thoughts? 

Thanks in advance.

Bob

#2 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 719 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 08 May 2020 - 01:42 PM

I don't think I would waste my time repairing stress cracks. The closer you look the more you will find. I believe they are a normal process in fiberglass on the move. I think I read on here at one time that the cracks are under the clearcoat so no chance of them leaking, but there are others on here that can probably give you better advice. As for the fiberglass damage, I would "fiberglass boat repair" or something along those lines on YouTube for directions on how to approach that project. Best of luck!

Toddy

• Linda & Bob, K4TAX likes this

#3 Linda & Bob, K4TAX

Linda & Bob, K4TAX
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 169 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:WE Sold it!
  • Trailer Name:Room 4 Two
  • Casita Club Directory #:2033

Posted 08 May 2020 - 04:15 PM

I don't think I would waste my time repairing stress cracks. The closer you look the more you will find. I believe they are a normal process in fiberglass on the move. I think I read on here at one time that the cracks are under the clearcoat so no chance of them leaking, but there are others on here that can probably give you better advice. As for the fiberglass damage, I would "fiberglass boat repair" or something along those lines on YouTube for directions on how to approach that project. Best of luck!

Toddy

Thanks Toddy.

#4 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,362 posts
  • Local time: 09:22 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 12 May 2020 - 04:38 PM

Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure is just the thing you need for small cracks in fiberglass but it's not for chips and dings.  It is a thin, white liquid that dries clear, so can be used on glass also.  I bought some at West Marine and it's not cheap but a little goes a long, long way.  Be sure to follow the directions exactly and don't use very much at a time.  With hairline cracks, it would just take a very tiny amount, then give it time to move along and fill the crack.  After it dries you can add more, if it needs it, but just a little at a time. There is a video at the link - check it out.

Edited by Carol Christensen, 12 May 2020 - 04:42 PM.

• Linda & Bob, K4TAX and NASA42 B like this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.