• Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 29 April 2020 - 06:08 PM

Spent all day relaxing in the Casita watching a movie, catching up on my Q news, listening to the >Oldies, but Goodies< on Pandora, grilling, and even had time for a nap. 👍🏻
Okay, before anyone gets off on the wrong trail, I grilled on my back yard pit, and >camped< in my driveway. 😎 Had the whole place to myself. 🤣
Hoping all is having a good week and being safe.

#2 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,583 posts
  • Local time: 01:54 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 30 April 2020 - 01:03 PM

I  think many people are actually get out and camping in their RVs

Since last Friday the traffic through our home town(Glen Rose) has increased back to what we would see on a Friday when everyone is headed out for a weekend camping, kayaking, etc. I have seen lots of campers and boats going through town, every day this week. The state parks are not open but I think a lot of the commercial campgrounds are opening up. Last weekend we had a lot of motorcycle groups come through town. 

Glen Rose has a lot of B&Bs in town, many of those are booked for this weekend according to the folks at the Convention & Visitor's Bureau.

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#3 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 356 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2020 17’ Freedom Deluxe
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 30 April 2020 - 03:22 PM

I  think many people are actually get out and camping in their RVs

Since last Friday the traffic through our home town(Glen Rose) has increased back to what we would see on a Friday when everyone is headed out for a weekend camping, kayaking, etc. I have seen lots of campers and boats going through town, every day this week. The state parks are not open but I think a lot of the commercial campgrounds are opening up. Last weekend we had a lot of motorcycle groups come through town. 

Glen Rose has a lot of B&Bs in town, many of those are booked for this weekend according to the folks at the Convention & Visitor's Bureau.

Had a riding partner just get back from riding the -Three Sisters- down at Leakey. He rode down one day and rode one of them, came home, spent the night, left the next morning, rode the second -Sister-, came home, spent the night, left the next morning, rode the third -Sister-, and then came home for the weekend. Before that, he went to Castell to eat and said that there were bikes all over that place. He went to the Willow City Loop and said it was full of bikes and cars looking at the Bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrushes. I reckon people are getting out more and more now.

#4 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 07:10 AM

Yup! those are two of my favorite rides/drives. Have ridden the Willow City Loop several times on a bicycle and driven in a truck the Sisters. 

I bet it is a blast riding the Twisted Sisters on a motorcycle!!!

Here in the Glen Rose area we get a lot of motorcycle riders since we are the first lumpy ground south of the metroplex. Some stop at Pie Peddlers, that was voted "Best Pie in Texas" by Texas Country Reporter.  Folks headed to the hill country from DFW come thru on Hwy 67, then some stop at Loco Coyote just west of town for great food or on to Hico to the Koffee Kup Kafe for chicken fried steak, strawberry pie and chocolate. From there pickup Hwy 281 taking them into the heart of the Hill County. 

I'm ready to "roll"!

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#5 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 356 posts
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 01 May 2020 - 09:38 AM

Yup! those are two of my favorite rides/drives. Have ridden the Willow City Loop several times on a bicycle and driven in a truck the Sisters. 

I bet it is a blast riding the Twisted Sisters on a motorcycle!!!

Here in the Glen Rose area we get a lot of motorcycle riders since we are the first lumpy ground south of the metroplex. Some stop at Pie Peddlers, that was voted "Best Pie in Texas" by Texas Country Reporter.  Folks headed to the hill country from DFW come thru on Hwy 67, then some stop at Loco Coyote just west of town for great food or on to Hico to the Koffee Kup Kafe for chicken fried steak, strawberry pie and chocolate. From there pickup Hwy 281 taking them into the heart of the Hill County. 

I'm ready to "roll"!

I have ridden the Sister so many times (I used to go ride them every other week, month after month for nearly a year!) that I got burned out. That is when I decided to ride every county in Texas. I finished them in 2009 and started on New Mexico. I got 22 of those 33. I broke my knee on the dirt bike and I have only been back to New Mexico once since then. Rode from Roswell to Tucumcari and stayed at the Blue Swallow ( a historic motor lodge with neon lights. Neat place to check out.)
Every time that I have ridden/driven to Loco Coyotes, it seems to be on days that they are closed. Never heard of Pie Peddlers! I always went to Koffee Kup (Hico-Just happened to stop here again, on the way home from Rice), Jake and Dorothys (Stephenville), or Bluebonnet Cafe (Marble Falls). I have stumbled across many -hole in the wall- places to eat, when riding the counties. Many, I have forgotten, but would probably remember, when I saw their signs again.
We have a -Flower Sniffin Ride- every year out of our local Harley dealership going to the Willow City Loop and Fredericksburg. We also do the Llano Crawdad Festival. And, a trip to Castell is good for a steak or burger, whether on bike or truck!
Hoping for more camping trips to these places and more, since I now have the Casita. Just thinking ..... what if Casita made a -Toyhauler-! Just think of the fun in that! LOL

#6 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:42 PM

Dang, I missed you last post until today. 

There are a lot of great "rides" on  FM, RM & CR roads in Texas. Also a lot of interesting places to visit, eat BBQ and camp.  Our travels supporting the Texas Youth Hunting Program has afforded us the privilege on camping on a lot of private ranches and public lands with limited access, what a treat that has been. 

Pie Peddlers is on the court house square in Glen Rose. Just off the square there are two other great places to each lunch, Green Pickle & Storiebook

Cafe.  https://www.facebook...eStoriebookCafe

Green Pickle is a Beer Garden with great burgers & more

https://thegreenpick...y.com/menu.html

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD

#7 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 356 posts
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 28 May 2020 - 06:30 PM

clover,
That is alright, I am used to it. I have gone to several places to eat and the waitresses will keep passing me by on my drink refills. After a while, I will ask them if we were married at one time. This catches them off guard and they will say, No. and ask why. I just tell them my ex-wife ignored me like that too. I get good service the rest of the meal and with a smile. 😄
I will make it through there and try out their pie, here before too long. 😉
Texas has shown me a lot of interesting things and places, while I was out riding. Now, I want to go back to these places with the Day Tripper and stay longer and look around more.
As far as eating places, I am not shy about asking local folk about the good eating places. The best ones are the hole in the wall or outa the way places.
I will be headed to West Texas next Thursday, to do some camping and visiting. Woo Hoo!

#8 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 06:21 AM

clover,
That is alright, I am used to it. I have gone to several places to eat and the waitresses will keep passing me by on my drink refills. After a while, I will ask them if we were married at one time. This catches them off guard and they will say, No. and ask why. I just tell them my ex-wife ignored me like that too. I get good service the rest of the meal and with a smile.
I will make it through there and try out their pie, here before too long.
Texas has shown me a lot of interesting things and places, while I was out riding. Now, I want to go back to these places with the Day Tripper and stay longer and look around more.
As far as eating places, I am not shy about asking local folk about the good eating places. The best ones are the hole in the wall or outa the way places.
I will be headed to West Texas next Thursday, to do some camping and visiting. Woo Hoo!

If you make it to Glen Rose, I'll buy you a piece of pie and make sure the waitress keeps you drink refilled. I wasn't ignoring you, just having another senior moment. 

Best wishes on some great camping in West Texas in the week to come. 

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD

#9 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 356 posts
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 03 June 2020 - 06:51 AM

When I go to Glen Rose, you meet me at the pie place, and I will buy the pies.

#10 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 12:32 PM

https://www.facebook...f=page_internal

Attached Thumbnails

• piepeddlers.jpg

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD

#11 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 356 posts
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:23 PM

https://www.facebook...f=page_internal

Dang! No chocolate chiffon 🥺
Second choice: peach 😉

Edited by West Texan, 03 June 2020 - 01:23 PM.

#12 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:11 AM

they have a chocolate meringue pie, my son's favorite 

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD

#13 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,263 posts
  • Local time: 10:54 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 07 June 2020 - 06:41 PM

Um, not to horn in, here, but...since the parks opened in SOME WA counties, the parks have been avalanched. One of our favorites is Scenic Beach SP in Seabeck WA. It's off the main drag by a ways, so used to be you could be fairly certain of getting a campsite but...

I called Sharon the Pie Lady. She makes killer pies, probably the best in WA, and lives near Scenic Beach. She used to deliver them  HOT to your campsite! (until, of course, somebody whined about it to the Rangers and now she can no longer deliver...but her place (where they sell campfire wood at $5 a box) is just a mile or so from the Park. She told me she has been 'slammed' with orders since 1 June, when the Phase 2 counties were allowed to open their parks.  She said she's never seen so many people, all coming at once.

Just as I mentioned earlier this year, it's PUD...Pent Up Demand. My husband got a badly needed haircut from his longtime barber, and said there was an entire family of five from Seattle (two counties and 70 miles away) coming for haircuts. Their county, King, is still under Phase 1 restrictions, and they figured, they didn't have to go by them outside of King.  They didn't want to wear masks or do social distancing, and the barbers told them, you no wear mask, you no come into shop. They were pretty p...ed at that, but my husband said they complied, with a lot of whining and sniveling. And didn't bother to tip the barber. Cheapskates!

Edited by Meadowlark, 07 June 2020 - 06:42 PM.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#14 West Texan

West Texan
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 356 posts
    Rock and Roll Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors

Posted 07 June 2020 - 07:27 PM

Um, not to horn in, here, but...since the parks opened in SOME WA counties, the parks have been avalanched. One of our favorites is Scenic Beach SP in Seabeck WA. It's off the main drag by a ways, so used to be you could be fairly certain of getting a campsite but...
I called Sharon the Pie Lady. She makes killer pies, probably the best in WA, and lives near Scenic Beach. She used to deliver them  HOT to your campsite! (until, of course, somebody whined about it to the Rangers and now she can no longer deliver...but her place (where they sell campfire wood at $5 a box) is just a mile or so from the Park. She told me she has been 'slammed' with orders since 1 June, when the Phase 2 counties were allowed to open their parks.  She said she's never seen so many people, all coming at once.

Just as I mentioned earlier this year, it's PUD...Pent Up Demand. My husband got a badly needed haircut from his longtime barber, and said there was an entire family of five from Seattle (two counties and 70 miles away) coming for haircuts. Their county, King, is still under Phase 1 restrictions, and they figured, they didn't have to go by them outside of King.  They didn't want to wear masks or do social distancing, and the barbers told them, you no wear mask, you no come into shop. They were pretty p...ed at that, but my husband said they complied, with a lot of whining and sniveling. And didn't bother to tip the barber. Cheapskates!

Always tip! The next time you might get an out of sight accidental gash. 🙄
The good people are the ones that get shut down! She was being kind enough to deliver and some ****** didnt like it. 😡
I was in a restaurant the day before yesterday (Friday) and a different waitress from ours, came over and ran her fingers through my long hair, then made a comment that I had nice hair, but I needed to get my -split ends- trimmed. I told her that I was waiting on my -beautician/stylist- to open her shop back up so I could get the ends clipped and the length evenly cut. Until I get it trimmed, I could go around calling out, -Scooby Doo? Where are you?-. 🤣

Edited by West Texan, 07 June 2020 - 07:31 PM.

• Meadowlark likes this

#15 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,263 posts
  • Local time: 10:54 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 13 June 2020 - 02:41 PM

I've learned a long time ago that waitressing is darned hard work, and the people who do it don't get enough credit. They take a lot of abuse from some a$$holes who think that since they're 'servers' they don't deserve respectful treatment. It's what the people at the grocery stores are putting up with right now...the shoppers are angry due to the pandemic so they dish out their anger on the poor clerk or attendant who is only trying to help them. One girl at the Fred Meyer's  I shop at has told me hair raising tales of abuse she's gotten...one woman came up to her and said, Honey, I'm angry, I've got my claws out and you're my scratching post... I mean, come ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN, what the ---- is that about?It's uncalled for and disrespectful.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."