• Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 13 April 2020 - 12:55 PM

Has anyone pulled a small second trailer behind their Casita? I was curious about pulling a small short trailer big enough just for some mesquite firewood or something similar, instead of using a cargo carrier. I was just wonder about if it has been done and safe enough to do it with the receiver hitch.

#2 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,263 posts
  • Local time: 12:09 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 13 April 2020 - 06:18 PM

There was a fella on this forum years ago who pulled a boat behind the Casita. Personally I think it's risky, but that's just me. Also, at least in WA State, it's illegal for us non commercial drivers to tow more than one trailer behind the tow vehicle.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#3 Jim&Clare

Jim&Clare
  • Casita Club Member
  • 178 posts
  • Local time: 09:09 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:SOLD 2002 Bigfoot 17
  • Interests:Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Posted 13 April 2020 - 10:35 PM

That would be member CC-john.

You might want to read through this thread http://www.casitaclu...at-with-casita/

Jim

Attached Thumbnails

• casita_triple_tow.jpg

Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Saw the country in a 2002 Bigfoot 17 - now sold.

Where is Jim now? Hiding in the UK until Covid passes.

#4 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,268 posts
  • Local time: 01:09 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:30 AM

amish.jpg

Like Meadowlark....I wouldn't want to pull one behind my Casita but....the Amish do something similar.

#5 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,362 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:54 AM

I used to have a list of state laws on double towing and other do's and don'ts but can't find it.  I "remember" that there may be different requirements depending on size, weight, and many states require an update of your driver's license to some kind of commercial rating.  

Googling DMV regulations for double (or triple towing, like a motorhome towing a car and something else) should not be hard to find.  The one I remember was a chart listing all the states and all kinds of towing requirements.

Edited by Carol Christensen, 14 April 2020 - 04:57 PM.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#6 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,356 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 14 April 2020 - 11:35 AM

I've seen a few small "trailers" that firmly attach to the bumper and have a swivel wheel.  I don't know if this qualifies as a 'trailer' or simply an attachment.  Google swivel wheel trailers. Obviously easy to back up, even with a Casita in tow.

I attach one colorful picture, mindful that I've had three bugs in a past life.

Dutchman

Attached Thumbnails

• swivel wheel trailer.jpeg

• Carol Christensen and Jerrybob like this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#7 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,362 posts
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.

Posted 14 April 2020 - 04:33 PM

Wow, that swivel wheel "trailer" looks handy.  Don't know what it would be like on a highway though.  The VW is beautiful; it's bumper is an old style, maybe a 1957.

Once again, Ed, we've followed in your footsteps.  I've had 3 bugs, 1963 was my first.  And Jack still has his bug (same color as above) which he bought new in 1968.  It's still in very good shape although new parts sometimes need to be fiddled with in order to work like new. 

Carol Christensen

#8 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,356 posts
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club

Posted 14 April 2020 - 06:53 PM

Carol, I've seen a few of those behind 5thwheels and such, often loaded down with motorcycles or ATVs. I think if they bounced you wouldn't see so many so I don't believe it's a problem.

My three Beetles were a used 1962, a new 1963 (can you imagine paying $1,800 for a brand new car?) and a new '68, all with the fabric sunroof as shown on the picture.  Not to be undone I bought a used 1975 VW bus in which I camped all over the Pacific Northwest and Oregon. 

I'm one of the few modern drivers, now with my first automatic transmission 4Runner, who has never used, and never will, his left foot on the brake.

Dutchman

• Carol Christensen likes this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"

#9 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,268 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 14 April 2020 - 06:54 PM

I've seen a few small "trailers" that firmly attach to the bumper and have a swivel wheel.  I don't know if this qualifies as a 'trailer' or simply an attachment.  Google swivel wheel trailers. Obviously easy to back up, even with a Casita in tow.

I attach one colorful picture, mindful that I've had three bugs in a past life.

Dutchman

Reminds me of a little trailer we had years ago....it was a one wheeled tent trailer made by Heilite in the 1950s.  I think they were sold by Sears. It was really a cool little trailer. It was an aluminum box which had a tent you could open up which covered the bed on the top of trailer and created a little room on the side. There was storage under the bed which you accessed via doors on both side of the rig. It was really light weight.  We pulled it with a small Mazda pick up.  In the front of the trailer...there were two extended hitch arms....which attached to some plates we made that fit into drilled holes in the truck bumper.  It was really a neat little set up.  We used it for years until we could afford something bigger. Haven't thought of it in years. 

#10 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,583 posts
  • Local time: 03:09 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 15 April 2020 - 09:09 AM

A friend of many that recently passed away, Harry Smith, had a small trailer he pulled behind his Casita for the reason you point out. I believe he used one of the small Harbor Freight trailers and then customized it with some beautiful woodworking on the sides. 

Another couple would come to Blue  Bonnet rally with a Big Foot pulling another small fiberglass RV behind it labeled "mother-in-law" quarters. 

• Dutchman likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#11 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 09:29 AM

Ed,

Did you replace your old 4-Runner with an automatic?  I totally agree with you on never using the left foot for the brake.  That's totally foreign to me.

I've actually had 4 Beetles.  The '63 was blue, nice but it was destroyed in an accident.  After that a brand new '65, red.  Even at the low price, I had a hard time making the payments.  I gave my older sister the car, she took over the payments; then there was a white one -- forget the year.  My last was after I moved to Nevada, it was a '73 orange Beetle.  (Ed you'll appreciate this.)  The owner had all it's service records from Compact Car and it was in perfect condition.  Cost $2,700 - I sold it many years later for $2,700.

Jack and I bought a new '74 VW Combi van, red,  to haul the tent, etc and camp in when the weather wasn't good enough for tenting.  It was great, not set up as a camper just an empty space which Jack adapted for camping.

In many ways, it seems like you and I have led parallel lives.  Even to the camping in the Pacific NW.  :D

Edited by Carol Christensen, 15 April 2020 - 09:32 AM.

Carol Christensen

#12 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,356 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 10:42 AM

Nope. My old 4runner is still the vehicle I bought on the same day I picked up my 2003 17SD.  Current mileage is 393,235 miles, original engine/transmission. Still runs as smooth as the proverbial Swiss, uh, Japanese watch. I bought the automatic because it could tow 5,000 lbs, whereas a manual would be limited to 3,500 lbs, so I was told.  Has been towing my Casita for many many miles.

Let's face it, you, Jack and myself all have excellent taste in modest vehicles and trailers, pat pat myself.  I had a what was called a Z-bed conversion done to my rear seat in my '75 van. Voila, my first camper.

Ed

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"

#13 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,583 posts
  • Local time: 03:09 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 15 April 2020 - 12:50 PM

We saw quite a few of these trailers at Air Venture in Oshkosh. About 10,000 campers on the grounds and most are there for the entire event or longer (7-10) days. So people haul in a lot of extra gear. 

https://www.cruiserlifts.com/#

how about towing 10 fiberglass RVs behind a truck

https://www.youtube....h?v=VR03dBEeUnk

Edited by clover, 15 April 2020 - 01:13 PM.

• Dutchman likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#14 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 04:01 PM

That's fabulous.

Carol Christensen