• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,371 posts
  • Local time: 01:20 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:16 PM

For 20 years we have owned Casitas with Dometic refrigerators.  During this time we have broken the large bottom shelf on the door 3 times, maybe 4.  I have bought replacement shelves at our local RV parts store each time.  I had been told Dometic sold them as a set of 3 so that’s what I bought, each time.  For such a simple part, they are kinda pricey and 2 out of the 3 shelves were never used.

I had learned early on to remove heavy items and store them in the sink temporarily when driving onto a ferry boat, which sometimes has a drop of an inch or so getting either on or off.  But sometimes I’ve forgotten, or we hit a pothole, or have been forced to detour on a rough road with no prior warning.  That’s when the lower shelf breaks.

Well, on our last trip the lower shelf broke and duct tape fixed it temporarily.  This time I checked Casita’s Parts Department and found to my surprise that the shelves could be bought separately.  Duh!

Perhaps, it's only me that has had this happen.  Surely no one else took 20 years to figure out the shelves could be bought separately.  But for what it’s worth that’s my story.  Hope it's of help.

Edited by Carol Christensen, 12 March 2020 - 02:19 PM.

• Meadowlark likes this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#2 West Texan

West Texan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 375 posts
  • Local time: 03:20 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2020 17’ Freedom Deluxe
  • Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:00 PM

Awww man! Dont say that you are a slow learner, you just like to practice a lot. 😉
  • Carol Christensen and Meadowlark like this

#3 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,291 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:35 PM

You're not a slow learner, Carol. We all have our Duh, Why Didn't I Think of That? moments. Or days. Or lives....

For instance. You know those child proof caps on medicine bottles? I HATE the damn things. They aren't just child proof, they're any human being over the age of zero proof. I used to have one heck of a time getting them open....until one day I actually read the writing on the inside cap. The picture I'm posting has the words stamped in it, making it unreadable, but it says NOT for use in homes with children. Look at the outside, top end of the cap, the side end that says "Push Down and Turn". It has a small channel running around it. You turn the cap upside down, so that you can read the "NOT for use in homes with Children" and screw it onto the bottle. Easy squeezy opening, now. It took me years to learn that. Plus, it provides a 'cup' for your pills, so that you can leave them in the cap.

bottle cap.JPG

Edited by Meadowlark, 12 March 2020 - 06:36 PM.

• Carol Christensen and Jerrybob like this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#4 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,296 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 13 March 2020 - 09:39 AM

A funny story....when my youngest daughter was in nursery school.....she is 40 now.....a testing lab came to her school to test child proof medicine bottles on the kids.  They would hand these little 4 year olds bottles and ask them to open them.  They were timed......apparently back in those days....if most kids couldn't open them within a certain timeframe....the bottle could be labled childproof.  Well.....my darling daughter frustrated the heck out of the testing folks.  They would hand her a bottle....and within seconds...she would hand them back with the lid off.  This went on for an hour and they couldn't believe she could open every bottle.  Other kids couldn't open them....but our daughter could.  My wife was there during the test....she said you just couldn't believe the expressions on the testers faces.  We thought it was pretty funny until reality hit us.....we ended up putting child proof locks on several cabinets at home to ensure no meds or dangerous products could be accessed.   

Edited by Jerrybob, 14 March 2020 - 09:20 AM.

• Carol Christensen, Linda & Bob, K4TAX and Meadowlark like this

#5 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,291 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 13 March 2020 - 03:44 PM

I bet she could do a Rubiks' cube in about five seconds, then. I used to have one. The only way I could 'solve' it was by dismantling it. Maybe I had a 'genius' level one...and I'm not.

• Linda & Bob, K4TAX and Jerrybob like this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#6 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,296 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 14 March 2020 - 09:27 AM

She could do the cube very quickly.....she was tested with a very high IQ......she didn't get that from me. She got straight A's throughout her school years and never had to really study.  Her teachers loved her but they had to work extra hard....she was always done with her tests long before the other kids and then wanted to talk...they had to design extra stuff for her to keep her busy.  She has an incredible memory and remembers roads she was on during family vacations when she was 5 years old. She now works for a university and is doing quite well. 

• Meadowlark likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: refrigerator, shelf