• Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:00 PM

Does one really need one?
Are they good for when temps drop into the freezing temps? How low (temp) will they work?
Just being curious, if it is something else that I need to put in the back of the truck for whenever.

#2 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Local time: 03:37 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:18 PM

If you disconnect your water hose from the trailer and lay it on the ground, the earth's temperature will keep your line from freezing over night if only by a few degrees. If the temp warms above freezing the next day that helps too. You can always put a few gallons of water in your fresh tank to get you through those cold spells. I would think the only time you would need a heated water hose if it gets VERY cold and/or for long periods of time.  You can deal with the overnight freeze with just a few adjustments.

I try really hard not to collect a bunch of stuff. The more stuff you have to connect, the more work camping is. I can set up or break down in under 30 minutes and we think we travel pretty light. I would like to keep it that way. I've sat in my campchair enjoying a fine handcrafted microbrew and watched the big rig next to me fiddle-fart around for 2 hours. That is not camping. Too many woobies!

Toddy

• Carol Christensen, Linda & Bob, K4TAX and Jerrybob like this

#3 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,050 posts
  • Local time: 12:37 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:25 PM

I don't know what a woobie is, but I certainly have witnessed the same thing...I don't know why someone would want one of those monster big RV's, it takes forever to back it into a campsite, and then all the setting up afterwards...I've seen where the woman is using a walkie talkie to telling her husband behind the wheel, "a little more, no you're too far left, oh no watch out.."

So do I feel smug when I pull in, and my husband gets out, walks to the back of the site and says "'Mon back...whoa." and I feel the tires just touch the cement parking bar (don't know the name of it) and within five or ten minutes we're done? You betcha I do. 

In fact it takes longer to set up the Clam, and that's not long.

• Linda & Bob, K4TAX, Jerrybob and NASA42 B like this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#4 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,127 posts
  • Local time: 01:37 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:00 PM

I hear ya Meadowlark.....it is rare that we are not fully set up in 10 minutes....sitting outside and drinking a beer or playing with the dogs.  I love the folks who pull in with the big 30+ footers.....take an hour or two to level....set up all the slide outs....and set up their site....then they go inside and watch TV...go figure. If I wanted to do that.....I'd stay home and save the gas. LOL!  Love our Casita and how easy it is.  

• Meadowlark likes this