• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts
  • Local time: 02:50 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 11 February 2020 - 05:27 AM

We had our home bathroom updated with new tile and I am now ready to mount the towel and toilet paper holders. I would like to use adhesive rather than drill through the tile. I am thinking about using 3M 4200 Adhesive Sealant, but wish to know from the experts if you think this is a viable option or do you think I need to use something more permanent like 3M 5200? The big box stores carry a lot of options for permanent adhesive whereas the 3M 4200 is more difficult to find in my neighborhood. I will need to order it off the internet so before I go through all of that rigmarole I want to make sure that what I buy will work for my purposes. I can't imagine needing to remove these fixtures in the future, but as soon as I say that I will regret using permanent adhesive. The fixtures are kind of heavy so I would hate for them to come off and break the floor tile. Will the 3m 4200 hold a bath towel? Any thoughts from the experts? Thanks!

Toddy

Edited by Hot Toddy, 11 February 2020 - 05:29 AM.

#2 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,050 posts
  • Local time: 11:50 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:57 AM

I am no expert whatsoever...but have you considered contacting 3M? I bet they have a customer service rep...maybe even a real live human being after you wade through the computerized 'menu'.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#3 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,127 posts
  • Local time: 12:50 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:52 AM

Toddy....I think both products will work.....we use to use 4200 on the inside of a friends small cabin cruiser for cup holders....it worked well....never remember the cup holders coming off.  Take a look at this info...….I haven't used the 5200 but...if you do.....sounds like it's there for a long time.  Good luck.

https://sailanything...-should-you-use

#4 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,503 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 11 February 2020 - 01:28 PM

Like Jerrybob we used this product several times on our sailboat.

Had the big tube to glued everything we could think of before the product was going to dry up in the tube. 

Also used it on a towel rack in our large walk in shower. It held the heavy ceramic brackets with two big towels on it. Did so well that when my 17 year old son jerked down on the towel it broke the bracket  but the back stayed adhered to the wall. I then had to use J-B Water Weld  (epoxy putty) to fix the bracket as it was obvious it was going to be easier to fix the bracket than  try to get it's remains off of the tile wall. 

Boys!!!!

This article might help on your decision

https://sailanything...-should-you-use

https://smile.amazon...81455947&sr=8-7

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#5 kpiercec8

kpiercec8
  • Casita Club Member
  • 28 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 15 February 2020 - 01:04 PM

Toddy,

I see you are in DFW and I'm just north in Fairview. West Marine locally carries 3M 4200 and I think iI have seen it at Academy too. That said I mounted a dual soap dispenser in the bath several years ago and used caulk if I remember correctly. there were some holes drilled into the mounting bracket that te caulk permeated and it's held fast ever since. Hope that helps. KP

Kim & Mary Pierce

#6 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:07 AM

I wanted to give you an update on my progress. I decided on the 3M 4200 although I took Meadowlark's advice and called 3M customer service to see what they recommended. He gave me two other options, 3M 550 and 560 (stronger). The only problem with those two options is that they come in 10.5 oz. tubes and I would need to buy a case of 12 tubes. So the 3.50z. tube of 4200 fits my needs. Now I am waiting for the crew to finish installing the shower doors so I can install my fixtures. Thanks to all who responded with your great advice. I truly appreciate you!

Toddy

P.S. I had hoped to have gotten input from Euphoria as I know he has used 4200 in the past, but for the record Greg, a woman beat you to it! ;-)

• Euphoria and Meadowlark like this

#7 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,170 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:45 AM

Yep, I'm late to the party on this one. But you won't go wrong with the 3M-4200. Good product, and probably just what the doctor ordered for what you're doing.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#8 friz

friz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 754 posts
  • Local time: 01:50 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' LD

Posted 17 February 2020 - 09:06 AM

Here's another thing to remember: Don't use too strong of an adhesive.  If/when something hits the holder, it may take a tile with it when it comes loose. Even the low strength adhesive on a smooth surface will hold surprisingly well. 

Screws with the wings that flare out on the inside of the wall is the most solid. But if the glue is already dry, don't worry about it.

#9 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 615 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 05:57 AM

I figured I better post an update on my project along with some pictures of the results. I went with a small tube of the 3M 4200 Marine Adhesive and am very please with the results. I would have hated to drill through the tile to mount those fixtures. The 3M adhesive worked perfectly for this application. I am a big fan!

P.S. Why the hell do pictures roll over on their side when you post them? Drives me nuts!

Toddy

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0423.jpg

Edited by Hot Toddy, 06 March 2020 - 05:58 AM.

#10 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,320 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 06 March 2020 - 08:10 AM

Here you go, Toddy.  I love the way it turned out, the tile is beautiful.

Toddy1.jpg

Toddy2.jpg

Toddy3.jpg

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.