6 replies to this topic

#1 Rojo

Rojo
  • Casita Club Member
  • 23 posts
  • Local time: 08:31 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 16'

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:56 AM

2009 16' Freedom - I could not get my fridge to run on propane, igniter would not light.  Investigation showed that the wire was no longer attached to the igniter, just loose in the rubber sleeve.  

Can the wire be reattached or do I need to replace the entire igniter?  If replace, how do you get the igniter loose? The bracket is holding the square ceramic portion in tight.  The screw for the bracket is back up under the stack and nothing I have will reach it, turn 90 degrees and then unscrew the screw.  Does more have to come out?  Do I have to set the igniter a certain distance away from the burner? 

#2 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,601 posts
  • Local time: 07:31 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:14 AM

what year is your Casita?  

I would determine what model of the Dometic refrigerator you have. In the 16', depending on your year model of your Casita it will be either The RM2193 or the  RM2202 is for the older 16's.

2923024109  Piezo Ignitor

442A 2951918040  Ignition Cable

You will probably have to replace it. Link below will take you to the manual for the RM2202, page 11 talks about taking apart the ignitor

youtube.com is your friend 

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#3 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,302 posts
  • Local time: 05:31 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:59 AM

Hi clover,

He stated that it is a 2009 Freedom 16 in his opening line.

Since it is a 2009, I'd say it is the RM2193 Model, which was used in the 13's and 16's from approximately 2005 on. The RM 2202 is the one they used in the older models.

Here's some links to the service manual for it. 

http://bryantrv.com/...docs/rm2193.pdf

http://manuals.domet...d.php?file=1674

Edited by Euphoria, 22 January 2020 - 05:08 PM.

• clover and NASA42 B like this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#4 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,601 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 22 January 2020 - 06:57 PM

my bad! in not re-reading the entire post from the beginning

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#5 Rojo

Rojo
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 11:37 AM

Thanks guys, I will look to the manuals. 

I managed to get the ceramic portion out and it looks like the wires cannot be reattached to I guess I will have to replace.  Anyone know if it would cause a problem if I just cut the existing wire and used connectors to attach the new part instead of trying to get the button portion out?  Shorting, sparking, that type of problem?

#6 Rojo

Rojo
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 September 2020 - 01:50 PM

Forgot to follow up on this.  Sorry.

Spent a couple of trips using the lighter we keep on hand to light the stove to get it to work but I did manage to get it apart and had enough slack to cut back on the wire insulation and reinstall them in the ceramic part.  Hardest part was removing and reinstalling the burner box with big clunky fingers.  Put it all back together and it works like a charm now. 

And, thanks to Euphoria I have an additional manual in my binder.

#7 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 752 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, yoga and meditation.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 30 September 2020 - 06:18 PM

Here is a link to a YouTube video on how to replace your Dometic refrigerator igniter - https://www.youtube....h?v=3AEQye20Ny8. It is not the same model as yours, but it may give you some good insight in how to proceed. Also, if you search "RV Refrigerator Troubleshooting" you get lots of returns on helpful videos. Like Clover said, YouTube is our best friend. Darren with My RV Works, Inc. has a pretty good line of RV troubleshooting videos. Here is one for a refrigerator not working on propane - https://www.youtube....h?v=A7JboU8ZlE0. Good luck!

Toddy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: igniter, refrigerator