#16 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,359 posts
  • Local time: 02:53 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:22 AM

This place can solve your problem.....good luck.

https://www.adoptape...er-humble-texas

I amazed that their is not more outcry about the massive damage cats have done to wildlife

From Smithsonian

The Moral Cost of Cats

https://www.smithson...cats-180960505/

From Nature a study of their impact

https://www.nature.c...cles/ncomms2380

From Australian Geographic

Natural Born Killers: The Problem With Cats

https://www.australi...blem-with-cats/

"Pet and feral cats together are killing over two billion reptiles, birds and mammals per year in Australia, and most of these animals are natives, according to a new book written by three of Australia's leading environmental scientists.

https://phys.org/new...an-animals.html

I don't hate cats, they make fine pets for some folks. However, left unchecked both feral & free ranging domestic cats have been the plague on some wildlife.  

Sad to hear.....all of our rescue animals are spayed/neutered.....they are never left unchecked and the shop cats keep the rodent population in control....I believe that is a really good thing.  We currently have two shop cats.....have had as many as four a few years ago......to my knowledge.....none of our cats have been to Australia or plan to visit.  Cats can be very helpful in some environments.....I will always have a couple around.  

#17 Linda & Bob, K4TAX

Linda & Bob, K4TAX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 185 posts
  • Local time: 04:53 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:WE Sold it!
  • Trailer Name:Room 4 Two
  • Casita Club Directory #:2033

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:50 PM

This place can solve your problem.....good luck.

https://www.adoptape...er-humble-texas

I amazed that their is not more outcry about the massive damage cats have done to wildlife

From Smithsonian

The Moral Cost of Cats

https://www.smithson...cats-180960505/

From Nature a study of their impact

https://www.nature.c...cles/ncomms2380

From Australian Geographic

Natural Born Killers: The Problem With Cats

https://www.australi...blem-with-cats/

"Pet and feral cats together are killing over two billion reptiles, birds and mammals per year in Australia, and most of these animals are natives, according to a new book written by three of Australia's leading environmental scientists.

https://phys.org/new...an-animals.html

I don't hate cats, they make fine pets for some folks. However, left unchecked both feral & free ranging domestic cats have been the plague on some wildlife.  

Sad to hear.....all of our rescue animals are spayed/neutered.....they are never left unchecked and the shop cats keep the rodent population in control....I believe that is a really good thing.  We currently have two shop cats.....have had as many as four a few years ago......to my knowledge.....none of our cats have been to Australia or plan to visit.  Cats can be very helpful in some environments.....I will always have a couple around.  

We have 3 cats, all spayed/neutered and are total house cats.  Never de-clawed however.  That's cruel.    I set traps in the house to catch the occasional mouse.  The cats are so well fed and groomed they wouldn't harm a mouse.   They might play it to death and leave the prize for me to step on in the night.  Yuck!   Plus they lay in the bay window in the BR and watch the birds on the feeder outside.   Occasionally I find more than one cat sleeping in the bay window while the birds feed. 

#18 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,388 posts
  • Local time: 03:53 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:10 PM

Years ago, when married, we had a cat.  Until the wife said:   "#$@%"!

Dutchman

banjocat.jpg

Edited by Dutchman, 24 January 2020 - 07:14 PM.

• Jerrybob likes this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#19 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:25 AM

All this cat talk....reminded me of a story.....

A woman took her dog to the vet. She said, "I think my dog is dead". The doctor laid the dog on the table and reached down and took a cat out of a box. The cat walked all over the dog and the dog didn't move. "Yes, your dog is dead," says the doctor. "How much do I owe you?" the lady asks. "$345," says the doctor. "$345!!?" the lady asks. "Yes. $45 for the office visit and $300 for the cat scan."

• clover likes this

#20 Jim & Amy

Jim & Amy
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 Casita SD
  • Interests:camping, quilting, hiking, biking, home handyman jobs, family, grandkids, reading

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:27 PM

Lots of good advice.  We cleaned up all the droppings and wiped everything down.  My husband pulled off the wooden base board cover across from the fridge.  The board hides the wires and tubes that run along the wall between the two seat compartments inside the trailer.  There we found a nest made out of  Walmart bags that I kept in one of the lower cabinets.  They had shredded them and dragged them behind the base board.  We think the mice are no longer in the trailer.  My husband found 5 dead ones in the garage. We’re still not sure how they got into the trailer but I think we’ll try the shining light at night to see if we can see any openings.  We’re using steel wool, mothballs, and probably 40 cotton balls with peppermint oil on them. 

I appreciate all the advice and suggestions.  I’ll get back to all in a few weeks to keep yall updated. Thanks again!

#21 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:48 AM

Glad the mice are gone....hope they stay gone. I was about to suggest a snake but....based on the cat responses.....I was reluctant.  Good luck. :dncinban:  

#22 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,610 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:18 PM

Linda & Bob  and Jerrybob

There are a lot of responsible owners like y'all. However, I think your out numbered by folks that look the other way, don't care or just don't know the damage cats can have on wildlife. 

Like I said I don't hate cats

Edited by clover, 27 January 2020 - 05:40 AM.

• Jerrybob and cottons like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#23 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,359 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 26 January 2020 - 06:13 PM

As a cat lover, I keep my cats in the house, every pet I've ever owned has been spayed/neutered, and I've never declawed a cat. When  we do go outside, they're on a leash and never allowed to roam. All you need to do is drive down a road to see dead cats, hit by cars...and the animal shelters full of kittens because someone couldn't bear to neuter his free to roam tomcat.

But as a field biologist, I have to agree: cats take a dreadful toll on wildlife. 

Folks in my neighborhood allow their cats to roam because "it's in their nature," or as clover says, they just don't care. The cats come to my place because it's fenced, so they're safe from coyotes, and my property is in  'conservation easement'-meaning it's fairly wild.  I have all sorts of birds and animals living here...last summer we had a long tailed weasel raise her litter behind the pump house.

Cats kill birds..and lizards, snakes, shrews, you name it. It's what cats do.

Please keep your cats indoors.

As for the mice, PLEASE DO NOT POISON THEM. PLEASE. No matter what the blurb on the box says, poison doesn't  always work immediately on rodents.

First off, it won't kill rats. 

Rats are extremely intelligent. They are highly suspicious of new things or novel changes in  their environment.   In a colony of rats...because if you see one, there are about a dozen you haven't...there is one dominant male. He's the one to check new things out. If he eats something, then the others will, too. If you try to habituate them to bait, you have to use untainted bait for weeks before they'll take it. If they see one die after eating the bait, that's it,they won't touch it. They won't touch the bait ever again. Honestly the best thing to kill rats is...a good rat terrier, or a Jack Russell.

Mice are stupid, but please, don't use poison.

We found a dead saw whet owl behind the property, as my next door neighbor WAS poisoning the mice. One managed to live long enough to escape her house, long enough for the owl to pounce. THEN the poison worked, IMMEDIATELY. We found the owl, still warm, but dead as a hammer, the mouse's head still in her jaws.

Or, if you don't really care about owls, consider what happens to the dog or a cat,  when she finds a poisoned mouse wobbling around. Don't think it doesn't happen, I was at the vet's when a woman brought in a dying Chihuahau..the dog had caught and eaten a poisoned mouse.  No, the dog didn't make it, and even worse, the woman was sobbing because she'd put the poison out, herself.

For mice, we use a Victor Tin Cat in and around the buildings. It's a live trap,  a small metal box, about the size of a rectanglur cigar box (do they still make cigar boxes?? I don't know, I've never smoked.). The mouse can get in, especially if you put something like bird feed or peanut butter in the trap. But it can't get out. You can either dunk the trap in a bucket of water once the mouse is in it to drown it, or they'll die in it after a day or two. . Don't clean the trap out after you empty the dead mouse...they poop and pee in the trap and that attracts other mice.

For the rest of my property...I have three species of owls (great horned, barn owls, and barred owls) living here, and the weasels are pure murder on rodents. Between the nocturnal owls and the diurnal weasels, we don't get many rodents here.

Edited by Meadowlark, 26 January 2020 - 06:14 PM.

• NASA42 B likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#24 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,321 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 27 January 2020 - 07:11 AM

bf438c6ae4e19d8f0e6221a6b28f0294.jpg

• Meadowlark and Jerrybob like this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#25 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,359 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 27 January 2020 - 10:05 AM

I neglected to mention sticky traps, or sticky 'boards'. They're VERY effective...and very sticky. They can stick to you as well as any mouse. 

Now I know there are folks who dislike them because they're said to be 'cruel'. Welllllllll, let's put it this way.  Not only do mice destroy things by chewing; carry fleas, they also can carry some nasty diseases.

Be very careful when cleaning up after a mouse. Their dried feces are the source of Hantavirus.

Hantavirus is a nasty disease that kills, sometimes, in 24 hours. It is named after the Han River, where scores of US soldiers died from the previously unknown viruse after coming in  contact with mouse dropping during the Korean War.

When you're cleaning up after a mouse, wear a respiration mask, gloves, and use LOTS of bleach to clean up afterwards.

So far as I know, the most recent cases of Hanta virus were in the NM/SW Texas and the yurts in Yosemite NP.

Sticky boards are cheap, effective, and no more cruel than a snap trap, which sometimes doesn't kill the mouse outright, merely disables it.

They fit just about any where. Make sure your cat or dog doesn't come in contact...while it won't injure them, the glue on a sticky board will..well, pull out a lot of fur.

Edited by Meadowlark, 27 January 2020 - 10:06 AM.

• clover likes this

#26 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,610 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:01 AM

I use the sticky boards, like them the best.

However, I would add another warning. Be careful where you place them. We had mice get into a large utility room in the garage where we do our laundry. I put a couple between the washer & dryer. 

You know how you always drop a sock or underwear as you pull stuff out of  the dryer. Well I didn't drop a sock but my son's non-replaceable high school synthetic Tennis Team jersey. If it were a sock I would have just thrown it away.

I tried several methods of trying to remove the glue, many of which I found on the internet. Tried freezing it first then scraping it off, Goof Off, nail polish remover (acetone), etc. What finally worked real well I saturated it in Dawn dish washing soap. Straight out of the bottle. Let it set 24 hours. I was surprised it didn't take the school lettering and logo off of the shirt.

• Meadowlark and NASA42 B like this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#27 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 02:56 PM

Well of COURSE it wasn't something as simple as a sock, Clover. I think Sticky traps have the same attracting qualities as peanut butter on a piece of bread...it's GOING to land PB side down.

• clover, Jerrybob and NASA42 B like this

#28 Linda & Bob, K4TAX

Linda & Bob, K4TAX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 185 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:WE Sold it!
  • Trailer Name:Room 4 Two
  • Casita Club Directory #:2033

Posted 28 January 2020 - 11:53 AM

Glad the mice are gone....hope they stay gone. I was about to suggest a snake but....based on the cat responses.....I was reluctant.  Good luck. :dncinban:  

Snakes are excellent mousers.   Most snakes are really harmless, it is the people that give me concerns in that regard. 

• Meadowlark, Jerrybob and NASA42 B like this

#29 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 28 January 2020 - 04:47 PM

Snakes are excellent mousers.   Most snakes are really harmless, it is the people that give me concerns in that regard. 

I like snakes.  BTW....you know what you get if you cross a snake with a kangaroo......a jump rope!   :rofl2: . 

• Linda & Bob, K4TAX, clover and Meadowlark like this

#30 Jim & Amy

Jim & Amy
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 Casita SD
  • Interests:camping, quilting, hiking, biking, home handyman jobs, family, grandkids, reading

Posted 04 March 2020 - 04:49 PM

Well I’m back to report on the clean-up.  We cleaned every surface we could. I put peppermint essential oil on cotton balls and placed them around inside cabinets.  We put steel wool in any hole we could see.  There are a couple of mothball bags inside.  I also bought some of the Cab repellent online to put inside.   I sprayed carpet shampoo on the walls and inside the lower cabinets where they had been really bad and rubbed it in with a sponge.  Will vacuum that when it’s dry.  There haven’t been any signs of mice for several weeks now.  My husband also put several traps inside the garage.  He initially found 5 mice In the garage that had somehow gotten into a tub and couldn’t get out and died.  We did try the suggestion to shine a light inside the trailer compartments with the hope that there would be a sliver of light seen outside on the underneath side of the camper showing an opening.  That didn’t work. We still have no idea how they got in.  They must have been coming and going while the camper was “closed up” in the garage for a while.  Very frustrating.  We’re planning on camping over Spring Break so I hope the smell is gone. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

• Meadowlark likes this