• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Jim & Amy

Jim & Amy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 10:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 Casita SD
  • Interests:camping, quilting, hiking, biking, home handyman jobs, family, grandkids, reading

Posted 21 January 2020 - 07:36 AM

I apologize if this has been addressed before but my husband went out to the garage/barn to put something inside the Casita which hasn’t been used since summer.  When he went in, he found mice have been in the closet and lower cabinets, drawer, and bedding.  I am so discouraged. We stored it all cleaned up  and with no food in it.  Where are they coming into the trailer? What can be done to prevent their entry?  How do we get the smell out of the carpet on the walls?  I’d appreciate any helpful info anyone can provide.

Thanks.

#2 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,261 posts
  • Local time: 09:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 21 January 2020 - 08:36 AM

If you have your shore power cord hooked up, I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that they are walking up your shore power cord and coming in through the little slider that allows the cord to be deployed with the hatch closed. You'd be amazed at the small places they can enter.

My remedy to alleviate the problem, before it became a problem, was to install a marine style 30 amp twist lock removable shore power outlet and put a new female 30 amp twist lock plug on the remaining cord section. I also added a new, and larger, hatch to replace the original shore power hatch. Now I not only averted any potential "homesteaders" from taking up residence, but I also have access to a nice storage area that was pretty much inaccessible before. Now I just coil up the cord and throw it in the trunk. No more wrestling with it to get it in and out anymore. No more critter access path anymore because there's no little trap door for the cord, (and FWIW, ants will also climb your cord and come in the same way.)

New Electrical Hatch1.JPG  New Electrical Hatch3.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• New Electrical Hatch2.JPG

Edited by Euphoria, 21 January 2020 - 08:47 AM.

• Linda & Bob, K4TAX likes this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#3 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,583 posts
  • Local time: 11:04 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:27 AM

If you don't have the skill or gumption to tackle Greg's great modification, you can fabricate a way to block the gap around the cord. I took a stiff piece of flat plastic  cut a circle in the middle just big enough to fit around the cord and cut a slit in the plastic to the edge to be able to slip it over the cord.

Little House Customs has a shore power guard, but it does not fit all Casitas

https://littlehousec...store.html#elec     

On control or getting rid of them now poison, glue traps, mouse traps..........pick your lethal method

I think getting the smell out might start with getting of the droppings out, then maybe try to use one of the odor absorption products 

https://www.amazon.c...98TSQJIXA&psc=1

This guy has an entire youtube.com channel on rodent traps & control

https://www.youtube....use trap monday

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#4 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:40 AM

I don't think that poisoning them would be a good solution. If they die in an inaccessible location, (at least inaccessible to us humans,) they will die, rot and really stink! Using baited traps, strategically placed where you can get to them, would probably be a better solution. At least then you can remove their carcasses that way.

Rodent feces removal will probably be a big problem as well, since they often "go" in inaccessible areas too. Truly, this is a problem better solved before, (preventive,) they get in, rather than afterward, (reactive,) but once they've gained entry, it's a moot point. Cleaning up can be a daunting task.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#5 West Texan

West Texan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 356 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2020 17’ Freedom Deluxe
  • Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 22 January 2020 - 08:22 AM

I am wanting to talk to one of my telephone buddies and get a rubber piece from a subscriber network interface (outside box) and see if it fits my Casita. It looks as though it may.

#6 Jim & Amy

Jim & Amy
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Interests:camping, quilting, hiking, biking, home handyman jobs, family, grandkids, reading

Posted 22 January 2020 - 08:33 AM

No, the mice got in when no cord was exposed.  All compartments were closed and locked.

#7 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 08:53 AM

That makes it a real "head scratcher." If there weren't any hatches that were open, it's pretty hard to tell how they gained entry. All the other hatch covers are sealed when closed, and there really aren't any obvious points of entry. All the holes underneath are sealed with caulking around any of the wires and pipes and table pedestal cups that penetrate through the floor. If the door wasn't left open, I really don't know how they got in. Obviously, my suggestion wasn't of much help to you. Sorry.

Edited by Euphoria, 22 January 2020 - 08:54 AM.

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#8 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,268 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 22 January 2020 - 09:22 AM

Get a couple of shop cats.....seriously.....we live in the woods....lots of critters.....always have a couple of shop cats....I know it works....they leave me mice...rats....moles....shrews....birds almost daily....plus....they are good company for me and the dogs when working in the shop.        

#9 Jim & Amy

Jim & Amy
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:50 PM

It appears there is a space around the shower drain below the drain pan.  Could this be a possible entry point? Is there an entry point on the roof and could a mouse climb up there?  We are baffled.

#10 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 04:45 PM

Yes, there is a small opening where the shower drain exits through the bottom, and I suppose it is remotely possible for a mouse to get in there. But, a word of caution here, that hole is there for a reason. Do not caulk it up, because that is a factory installed drainage weep hole in the event you should develop a leak inside the interstitial space below the shower pan and the bottom of the trailer. If you want to devise a method of preventing critter intrusion at that point, you can use a piece of mesh hardware cloth cut to fit over the hole, and glue it with adhesive caulking to the bottom of the trailer. The thing here is you want to maintain the ability of any potential leaks to still be able to drain out of that weep hole, otherwise if you should develop a leak, it will then back up into your trailer and you'll have a wet floor inside.

Edited by Euphoria, 22 January 2020 - 04:54 PM.

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#11 Linda & Bob, K4TAX

Linda & Bob, K4TAX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 169 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:WE Sold it!
  • Trailer Name:Room 4 Two
  • Casita Club Directory #:2033

Posted 22 January 2020 - 04:52 PM

That makes it a real "head scratcher." If there weren't any hatches that were open, it's pretty hard to tell how they gained entry. All the other hatch covers are sealed when closed, and there really aren't any obvious points of entry. All the holes underneath are sealed with caulking around any of the wires and pipes and table pedestal cups that penetrate through the floor. If the door wasn't left open, I really don't know how they got in. Obviously, my suggestion wasn't of much help to you. Sorry.

The lower vent on the refrigerator will allow them access to the inside   Is the step down?  You'd be surprised how high they can jump.  It would be wise to do a very detailed inspection of the underside of the trailer using a good light.  Crawling around on ones back is no fun but you may have some openings for plumbing where the caulk is missing.     Look for any openings, cracks crevices  and such.  

I use a pet safe trap to rid the critters and check the trailer frequently   No poisons please.  A dead mouse will stink for months.    A carpet cleaning, even using a commercial service,  and good vacuum of other places will be in order to get rid of the smell.   You'd be surprised how much one of the little critters can urinate. 

• Euphoria likes this

#12 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:02 PM

One of the reasons to install these screens on the upper and lower fridge vents and furnace vents. They're not just for mice, but even more so for "flying critters," (aka wasps and mud daubers.)

https://www.amazon.c...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

https://www.amazon.c...0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

https://www.amazon.c...J8NWNRC536Y3PTH

Edited by Euphoria, 23 January 2020 - 12:53 PM.

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#13 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,268 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 23 January 2020 - 10:11 AM

This place can solve your problem.....good luck.

https://www.adoptape...er-humble-texas

#14 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,583 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 23 January 2020 - 02:16 PM

This place can solve your problem.....good luck.

https://www.adoptape...er-humble-texas

I amazed that their is not more outcry about the massive damage cats have done to wildlife

From Smithsonian

The Moral Cost of Cats

https://www.smithson...cats-180960505/

From Nature a study of their impact

https://www.nature.c...cles/ncomms2380

From Australian Geographic

Natural Born Killers: The Problem With Cats

https://www.australi...blem-with-cats/

"Pet and feral cats together are killing over two billion reptiles, birds and mammals per year in Australia, and most of these animals are natives, according to a new book written by three of Australia's leading environmental scientists.

https://phys.org/new...an-animals.html

I don't hate cats, they make fine pets for some folks. However, left unchecked both feral & free ranging domestic cats have been the plague on some wildlife.  

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#15 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,362 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 23 January 2020 - 04:25 PM

Mice can chew through almost anything, so a tiny crack can be the beginning of a hole big enough for them to enter.  Going under your trailer to check for possible entrances is a good idea.  I suggest, if possible, working at night or having the trailer in a dark place and using a very bright light inside the trailer.  Best to have a someone inside who can open the storage areas and shine the light around the pipes, wiring, edges, etc.  This technique can be used to check the compartments from the outside too. 

We avoid poison, not only because the mouse could die inside but because if they die outside, they can be eaten by a pet or another animal.  We live in an old home in the country and were plagued by mice until a couple of remodels solved the problem.  We used Havahart traps and released the little critters far, far away.  If you find no entry places at all, I mean no light is visible even through the smallest crack, that would mean the mice (dead or alive) are still inside your trailer.  If you don't find any, they must have found a way out.

On our last trip of the year, a mouse got into the car.  The dog sleeps and sometimes eats in the car so the doors are occasionally left open for a short time. The mystery of how your mice entered may be that they got in the last time you used your trailer.  The fact that you found no evidence when the trailer was emptied and cleaned may mean there was only one mouse (pregnant?) that had not been there for long.

So far as keeping them out, caulking cracks and using fine steel wool (nothing with soap in it) for larger spaces should work.  And most important, plugging the electric cord hole and having the cord taut so it doesn't get close to the ground works for us.  BTW, I used ammonia solution (diluted) to clean most surfaces.  Perhaps (?) that would work on the carpet too, maybe using a sponge or spray.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.