4 replies to this topic

#1 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,583 posts
  • Local time: 11:12 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 19 December 2019 - 08:13 AM

I'm looking for suggestions for a Casita camping trip over the Christmas Break. 

There was a last minute change of plans in our house hold. May son will be gone to Washington state to see his father for two weeks. So it is just me and the two dogs for the Holidays. 

I want to go somewhere interesting in Texas, Oklahoma or maybe Arkansas. Somewhere within a full days travel. I am willing to drive for 8-12 hours. 

I've been to a lot of wonderful places, but I'm sure there are "jewels" out there I've missed. 

I'm willing and comfortable boon-docking and I know it maybe difficult to get into a State Park or COE campground. I do tend to avoid commercial campgrounds but would be willing to consider one that has a strong recommendation from any of you.  

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#2 nealreust

nealreust
  • Casita Club Member
  • 161 posts
  • Local time: 10:12 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:08FD17
  • Trailer Name:Bert

Posted 19 December 2019 - 08:40 AM

We like Lost Maples State Park for getting away from it all.  I just checked the reservation site, they have sites available from 12/22/19.

It's a bit further but you might like this place:  https://www.nps.gov/...t/dogcanyon.htm

Edited by nealreust, 19 December 2019 - 10:07 AM.

Neal & Kaye Reust
Las Cruces, NM
2008 17 FD "Bert" (Eggbert)
2009 Nissan Titan

#3 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,356 posts
  • Local time: 09:12 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 19 December 2019 - 05:13 PM

Depending on wether you are looking to get away from it all or are more into the Christmas spirit, it's about 440 miles from your area but about ten years ago I spent a month in an RV park in Mission, Texas.  Exceptional were extensive Christmas lights set up and festivities in nearby Hidalgo, highlighted by a free 1 ½ hour singing concert by a large Mexican boys group who did an exceptional concert.  The decorations even included cannons and a red devil. Of course, things may have changed but Hidalgo seems to have quite a reputation for that time.

If I were in Texas I would wonder if Fredericksburg would have a German themed original Christmas, which would appeal to me since I was raised in Europe. I stayed at Kerrville-Schreiner campground, a nice, heavily wooded area about 15 south of Fredericksburg (https://www.kerrvilletx.gov › Kerrville-Schreiner-Park). Whatever you choose, best wishes for the holidays and Happy New Year.

Dutchman

a

• NASA42 B likes this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#4 clover

clover
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,583 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 20 December 2019 - 06:33 AM

nealreust

I've been to Garner SP just up the road from Lost Maples. A fall camping trip to see the autumn colors at Lost Maples has been on my bucket list for a number of years.  The drive from Bandera to Concan then back up to Leakey making the circle through Medina is great scenic trip. 

We've climbed Guadalupe Mtn and stayed in the parking lot/camping at the trail head, never been to Dog Canyon.

Thanks for the great suggestions

Ed

I know Fredericksburg has bursting at the seams during the Christmas holiday. It has become such an attraction for tourist.  We went back about 5 years ago to go through the newer WWII Pacific Theater Museum. I had not been in the town for more than 15 years and only recall the Nimitz Museum being there. I was astonished by the growth, he number of tourist and all of the surrounding vineyards. 

I've never visited Hildalgo or Mission. Your description of the Christmas festivities sound similar to spending the holiday on the River Walk in San Antonio. Lots of lights (and luminaries) and lots of singing. 

Both destinations have me thinking about heading south. 

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#5 West Texan

West Texan
  • Casita Club Member
  • 356 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2020 17’ Freedom Deluxe
  • Interests:Collecting Unique Camaros
    Rebuilding Rare Chevy Pickups
    Rock and Roll Music
    Old Country and Western Music
    Camping
    Cooking Outdoors
    Cajun Food and Cajun Music
  • Trailer Name:“Day Tripper”
  • Casita Club Directory #:Do I have one?

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:44 PM

I like Garner State Park.
I like Lady Bird Park in Fredericksburg.
I also like the quietness of Water Valley City Park just north of San Angelo, where I go a lot. Just a small park with hook-ups for $20 a day.
Palo Duro Canyon