Photo

Will The Texas Beach Camping Murders Change How You Camp?

safety boondocking free camping

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Christian Dakoona

Christian Dakoona
  • Casita Club Member
  • 15 posts
  • Local time: 08:11 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17LD

Posted 18 November 2019 - 08:26 AM

See all details on rvlife at:

http://rvlife.com/te...amping-murders/

This thread is about safe camping spots (free or not). Not about defensive weapons or artillery. On your camping trips have you had a bad experience or heard about a bad location that all your other camper friends should know about ?

The last time we were exploring around Corpus, Padre Island, etc.; we had noticed those nice stretches of white sand beaches, and thought it could be a nice spot for some Casita camping. My wife is now saying "No More". :unsure:

#2 J and J

J and J
  • Casita Club Member
  • 77 posts
  • Local time: 08:11 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe/17ft

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:14 AM

No!

I have slept in sleeping bags on the ground in bear country, on ocean beaches, at highway rest stops, on the top of loaded trucks in Congo, we have tent camped with our family, and for the past 7 years it has been just the two of us in our Casita. Never have we felt unsafe and we take zero extra self protection precautions. Be smart. Don't worry. Go camping. 

John

Edited by J and J, 18 November 2019 - 10:21 AM.

#3 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,121 posts
  • Local time: 06:11 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 18 November 2019 - 10:24 AM

It won't affect my camping but....being aware.....thinking safety.....being smart......seems to be a good practice these days.  Don't think I would isolate myself like that today and I do have protection.  I remember many many years ago....being 21.....a buddy and I hitched hiked the East coast for a few months....we slept in sleeping bags under bridges and along highways....had some great times...met some intereting people but.....I wouldn't recommend that trip today for anyone.....times have changed.  Be safe and smart out there!       

• Meadowlark and NASA42 B like this

#4 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,319 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 18 November 2019 - 05:05 PM

We have been campers since the '70s (first in tents, then Casita) and never had a bad experience but we have packed up and left when we've felt uneasy about a place or the people.  There have been a few times when we've arrived at a rather remote campground and after seeing the other campers, have just moved on to someplace else.  It hasn't happened often, but if I feel uncomfortable about the "neighbors" we don't stay.

I think I learned my lesson in the early 70s.  Right after we first started tent camping, the Sickle Axe Murderer attacked some campers in California, killing two.  That certainly scared me for quite a long time but we kept camping, always in campgrounds --- not parked all alone.  And I'm feeling much more secure in the Casita.  Still careful after all these years.

Edited by Carol Christensen, 19 November 2019 - 03:58 PM.

• Meadowlark and NASA42 B like this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#5 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,301 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 18 November 2019 - 06:36 PM

In NF, BLM or CofE campgrounds I've made it a habit to ensure there is a camp host on duty.  I always assume he is in contact with law enforcement by phone or sometimes radio. I am not a fan of being the only one in an isolated locale. Just for my peace of mind.

Dutchman

• Carol Christensen, Meadowlark, Jerrybob and 2 others like this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#6 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,043 posts
  • Local time: 05:11 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 20 November 2019 - 08:28 AM

I'm like Carol...if my gut says, "Something's not right here," I listen to her and leave. There's a very interesting book titled "The Gift of Fear",  by Gavin De Becker. In it, he describes why we should listen to our intuition rather than try and be polite. Women, especially, have been cultured to not give offense, so we so often are victims of a crime because, in many cases, we don't want to offend that guy who has been following us as we walk down a street.

I was in a laundromat doing laundry, many years ago, and was nervous. It was not a bad part of town, but...it was a dicey area anyway. As I pulled up, a couple of punks came out of the laundry without laundry, got into a beater and left. There was a man inside, doing his laundry, as well. His car, out in the parking lot, had a military gate entrance sticker on the windshield, so I knew he was military. We struck up a conversation..he was retired Air Force and had then gone into the police force.

He told me that when he got into the luandry, the punks ran off..they'd been trying to break into the change machine and he'd identified himself as a police officer when he realized what they were up to. He told me that the best thing for a woman in a situation like that  to boldly ask the bad guy "what are you doing!", "in your best grandmama's voice' unquote and to always carry yourself 'as if you can kick their ass up between their ears. Never let them think you're afraid of them."

That advice has carried me through some situations....but I'm also the first one to turn around and leave if my gut says, no, this isn't a good place.

Although, these days, it seems like the punks have no problem with just shooting you.

Edited by Meadowlark, 20 November 2019 - 08:31 AM.

• Jerrybob and NASA42 B like this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#7 friz

friz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 754 posts
  • Local time: 07:11 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' LD

Posted 25 November 2019 - 07:27 AM

That couple were victims of a car/rv carjacking, killed and taken there.  It wasn't like the murder happened at that location.

Now if you have a way to prevent carjacking.......................

People used to ask me if I carried a gun when I drove to work.  I answered "NO", I'd run out of bullets before I got there.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: safety, boondocking, free camping