• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LuckyJack5

LuckyJack5
  • Casita Club Member
  • 31 posts
  • Local time: 08:42 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17'SD
  • Interests:Family,IE Flo (Bride-44 yrs), Mike (#1 son-66 yrs old), Aviation & retirement.
    We are world travelers, now time to do the good old USA.
    Phone 817-439-5339
  • Trailer Name:DAMMIT
  • Casita Club Directory #:?

Posted 10 September 2019 - 07:11 AM

We set-up at Palo Duro canyon state park  as usual. Wheel chocks in place. Stabs down. Hook-ups made. Level bubbles centered. Ready to enjoy the view. The only problem was a burn band  for the entire park. No fires allowed.

The 2nd day, after coffee and cleaning the pot, the drain water would not go down. About a one inch of dark water remained. The bath room sink drained OK.

Head scratching time. Pulled the "P" trap and it was clean.

Assumption??

#2 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,897 posts
  • Local time: 05:42 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:16 AM

Ummmmmmmmmmm, if you had said that the bathroom sink hadn't drained, either...I would have wondered when was the last time you drained the gray water tank. In this case, and you said the P trap was clean...I'm scratching my head, too.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#3 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,007 posts
  • Local time: 06:42 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 10 September 2019 - 08:47 AM

Did you try a plunger?  Sounds like you have a clog somewhere down the line....they make small sink plungers that work well...under ten bucks at any hardware store...home depot or Walmart.  Good luck.

#4 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,422 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:26 AM

do you use hair catchers in your sinks/shower? something to consider after you get the draining issue resolved........

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#5 wilyoung

wilyoung
  • Casita Club Member
  • 114 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 17' Spirit Deluxe

Posted 10 September 2019 - 11:27 AM

"About a one inch of dark water remained." Did any water go down the sink? Coffee AND grounds down the sink? On ours after the P trap it's a straight shot through the floor, then a flat run of about two feet to the side of the gray tank. Any solids going down the drain could settle in there and eventually cause a blockage. Either a plunger or a snake should be able to clear it.   

Wil and Joanna
2010 17' Casita SD "Wholaden"
2005 Chevy Trailblazer 4.2L 6 cyl

#6 J and J

J and J
  • Casita Club Member
  • 68 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe/17ft

Posted 10 September 2019 - 05:24 PM

LuckyJack5, are you pouring coffee grounds down your galley sink drain? Our experience with coffee grounds at home is that an accumulation of grounds can clog up the the garbage disposal unit between disposal spins which of course at home is an easy fix. Just run the disposal unit and presto draining occurs immediately. While camping we NEVER pour coffee grounds down any drain for fear of clogging up the drain as well as the gray tank. Instead we dispose of coffee grounds in the trash. You may be doing the same thing while camping as we do but from your post I could not tell.

John

• clairemr1 likes this

#7 LuckyJack5

LuckyJack5
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 31 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17'SD
  • Interests:Family,IE Flo (Bride-44 yrs), Mike (#1 son-66 yrs old), Aviation & retirement.
    We are world travelers, now time to do the good old USA.
    Phone 817-439-5339
  • Trailer Name:DAMMIT
  • Casita Club Directory #:?

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:16 AM

Thanks folks,

No coffee grounds down sink. This is Flo's kitchen. Spic and span.

I think for the past several months, visiters/guests have come thru and been given the tour. This means the gray water tank got filled. Water seeks it's on level ie sink and both vents. Puzzled about the bath room sink drain. It worked OK.

We stopped at the dump station. Cleared the black tank and then the gray tank. Walla  problem fixed. Coffee colored water gone.

Note; had the shower drain in the hangar clog up with hair. No P-trap. Used sulfuric acid (H2SO4) to eat the hair. FYI.

GP Jack

#8 Linda & Bob, K4TAX

Linda & Bob, K4TAX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 39 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1999, 17 SD
  • Trailer Name:Room 4 Two
  • Casita Club Directory #:2033

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:24 AM

Simple rules to follow to keep the plumbing working correctly:

(A)  Only water or liquid down the drain in the galley sink and lavatory sink.

(B)  Food scraps, coffee grounds and such go in the trash for proper disposal later.

©  As to the black water system, other than T paper and toilet chemical, if you haven't swallowed it and passed it through your body, then don't put it in the toilet. 

Bob, K4TAX

Edited by Linda & Bob, K4TAX, 11 September 2019 - 12:20 PM.

• Meadowlark, Jerrybob and cottons like this

#9 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 07:39 AM

Thanks folks,

I think for the past several months, visiters/guests have come thru and been given the tour. This means the gray water tank got filled. Water seeks it's on level ie sink and both vents. Puzzled about the bath room sink drain. It worked OK.

We stopped at the dump station. Cleared the black tank and then the gray tank. Walla  problem fixed. Coffee colored water gone.

Note; had the shower drain in the hangar clog up with hair. No P-trap. Used sulfuric acid (H2SO4) to eat the hair. FYI.

GP Jack

a cheap hair catcher in the shower will eliminate the need to use something harsh like sulfuric acid. a friend had to totally dismantle his plumbing after his wife's long black hair completely clogged the system! i am scrupulous about what goes down my plumbing, liquids only. everything else gets caught & thrown into the trash. nearly 6 yrs of full time living in it, never had a clog in my plumbing.............

• NASA42 B and cottons like this

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#10 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,007 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 11 September 2019 - 09:33 AM

My uncle was a plumber and a poker player....he used to say...."A good flush beats a full house anytime!"  I think that applies to Caista's as well!  Glad you solved the problem. 

• clairemr1 and cottons like this

#11 Linda & Bob, K4TAX

Linda & Bob, K4TAX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 39 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1999, 17 SD
  • Trailer Name:Room 4 Two
  • Casita Club Directory #:2033

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:26 PM

Thanks folks,

GP Jack

a cheap hair catcher in the shower will eliminate the need to use something harsh like sulfuric acid. a friend had to totally dismantle his plumbing after his wife's long black hair completely clogged the system! i am scrupulous about what goes down my plumbing, liquids only. everything else gets caught & thrown into the trash. nearly 6 yrs of full time living in it, never had a clog in my plumbing.............

I've seen the results where acid or lye was put in a drain.  It built up pressure and exploded blowing acid, lye and other stuff back out the drain and into the fellows face.   Not at all a pretty site to deal with.   He has permanent eye damage as the result. 

While one has to occasionally deal with a hair clog, there are safer non-chemical ways to clear a drain. 

Just because it says "safe for drains" and such, doesn't mean it isn't dangerous.  

Bob, K4TAX

• clairemr1 and cottons like this

#12 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 12:47 PM

Thanks folks,

GP Jack

I've seen the results where acid or lye was put in a drain.  It built up pressure and exploded blowing acid, lye and other stuff back out the drain and into the fellows face.   Not at all a pretty site to deal with.   He has permanent eye damage as the result. 

While one has to occasionally deal with a hair clog, there are safer non-chemical ways to clear a drain. 

Just because it says "safe for drains" and such, doesn't mean it isn't dangerous.  

Bob, K4TAX

i agree, bob, i can't imagine putting acid down the casita plumbing, let alone thinking of the possibility it will blow back up into my face!

• Linda & Bob, K4TAX likes this

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#13 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,257 posts
  • Local time: 07:42 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:54 PM

I've been using strainers in both the shower drain and the galley sink for years.  I am amazed how much hair an old guy like me can dump into the strainer.  I empty the galley sink strainer multiple times a day.  My grey water smells better as a result.  Best of all, no drain problems.

Dutchman

• clairemr1 likes this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#14 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,897 posts
  • Local time: 05:42 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 11 September 2019 - 01:55 PM

I agree with Claire's advice..we have metal screens on the kitchen sink drain, the bathroom sink drain and even the shower drain. This is even when I never wash my hair in the casita...I do it outside, the Army way, or in the campground bathroom...and my husband is bald and has a beard.

So we don't have hair clogging up the drains. We have had our casita for 8 years and have never had a clog, and I don't foresee it happening.

But there are times when we do dishes inside, and the screens work for that, as well. NEVER, as Bob K4TAX and others have advised, put something down the sink drain that isn't water or straight liquid, or, what was so civilly put, digested by your body into the toilet.  Meal scraps, leftover bits of scrambled egg, uneaten dog food, that bit of toast, coffee grounds...etc, all go into the trash. In fact, when I do do dishes inside, I use a dish pan and then dump that into the campground dishwater dump, if they have one. Most do. 

Please, if you've not damaged the pipes or tank after using sulfuric acid, you lucked out. Don't put anything like sulfuric acid down the drain again. Not even the stuff called 'drain cleaner." IF and this is a big IF..you have a blockage of that sort in the tanks, white vinegar should help, or the liquid made specifically for "RV toilets" and some folks swear by using Calgon water softener to break up the big chunks.

Not only is sulfuric acid dangerous, as in some scenarios posted by others on this thread,  but by dumping it into a municipal, or a campground dumpsite, you have violated the regulations and, possibly, even the law. By dumping a chemical that has no business being used as drain cleaner, you have possibly endangered the poor souls who have to pump the tanks out. Sulfuric acid belongs in car batteries, not gray or blackwater tanks.

• Linda & Bob, K4TAX, Jerrybob, NASA42 B and 1 other like this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#15 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,419 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 12 September 2019 - 11:49 AM

early on a plunger was suggested. Note that is fine on the kitchen sink and bathroom sink, however if used in the shower the hepvo valve will end up being inverted (sucked inside out) you can fix that, however it will require you going underneath, removing the connections for the valve and manually pushing it back in the correct position. 

we have a hepvo valve under our kitchen sink as well, thus we can't use a plunger on the kitchen sink. If you purchase a Walmart tea strainer that is the round shape, 1/2 of it will fit into the kitchen sink perfectly for a strainer. 

Attached Thumbnails

• tea strainer.jpg

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)