16 replies to this topic

#1 Lsander1617

Lsander1617
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 09:05 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit

Posted 18 August 2019 - 06:10 AM

I travel solo and am reasonably proficient with parking, reversing, and loading my Casita. BUT....sometimes find it time consuming to hitch up at the end of my camping. It would be so much easier (I THINK) to have the caster wheel on my tongue jack to make those subtle adjustments. My question: is it ok to set up camp with the caster wheel on? I know I'd have to secure it with chocks. Suggestions? Advice? Thanks!

Edited by Lsander1617, 18 August 2019 - 07:41 AM.

#2 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 505 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 18 August 2019 - 06:29 AM

Lsander1617.......

If your wheels are chocked front and back, I see no reason not to do it.....nor to chock the caster.  However, in my judgement adding the caster wheel to your routine just complicates things needlessly.    I haven't used a caster wheel (nor had one along on my trips) for over 30 years.   

Hope to meet you somewhere down the road.

Frank   :rolleyes:

Edited by NASA42 B, 20 August 2019 - 01:20 AM.

• Meadowlark likes this

#3 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,099 posts
  • Local time: 06:05 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:33 AM

Please don't use chicks to keep your trailer in one place. They squish very easily and don't work very well to keep the wheel from rolling. I would recommend using a good set of wheel "chocks" however...  :rofl2:

And FWIW, I park my trailer on the tongue wheel most of the time, whether at home or off somewhere.

• Meadowlark, Sgmhgg and Lsander1617 like this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#4 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,234 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 19 August 2019 - 08:36 AM

Yes, the caster wheel can be used.  We camped that way for a long time.  It is VERY IMPORTANT when the wheel is on that the safety chains be left attached until the trailer has been chocked.  This is true in any case, even when the caster wheel isn't being used but with that wheel on it becomes critical.

How do I know?  Well, as newbies we had a close call that could have become a disaster.

PS: I worded my original version badly.  I'm sure we never had the caster wheel on when traveling.  Just used it when setting camp.

Edited by Carol Christensen, 20 August 2019 - 06:35 AM.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#5 Blacksmith

Blacksmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 67 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2017 Liberty Delux 17'
  • Interests:Ham Radio/electronics
  • Trailer Name:Cassie

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:47 AM

To make hook up much easier I use 2 telescoping yellow balls with magnetic bases. When the balls touch im Ready to drop the trailer onto the hitch. If your TV has a back up camera this is really easy. It does take a bit of experimenting while hooked up to determine just how/where/what angle needed to set the magnetic bases. And I always double chalk my castor wheel, dropping it right into the curve made by the two facing chalks.

#6 Linda & Bob, K4TAX

Linda & Bob, K4TAX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 40 posts
  • Local time: 08:05 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999, 17 SD
  • Trailer Name:Room 4 Two
  • Casita Club Directory #:2033

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:26 PM

We purchased out 17' SD and it did not have a wheel.  I installed a flat steel plate that is about 6" square and 1/4" thick.   No problems at all plus it gives me about 6" additional clearance when towing.   I always chock both wheels, front side and back side, before disconnecting the trailer.  The safety chains are always the last item to be disconnected in case something goes wrong.  

#7 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:34 PM

We purchased out 17' SD and it did not have a wheel.  I installed a flat steel plate that is about 6" square and 1/4" thick.   No problems at all plus it gives me about 6" additional clearance when towing.   I always chock both wheels, front side and back side, before disconnecting the trailer.  The safety chains are always the last item to be disconnected in case something goes wrong.  

I don't know where you set up camp at, but if I ever needed to chock both wheels, I'm looking for another site. Just me. For my needs, I have a good set of semi-commercial grade rubber chocks and I have never found the need to chock both sides.

And FWIW, most of us unpin and remove the tongue wheel for travel, thus we also get an additional 8" of clearance as well. In fact, I don't know of anyone I can think of who travels with the tongue wheel left on in transit unless you have "tip-up" landing gear.

Edited by Euphoria, 19 August 2019 - 01:31 PM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#8 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,234 posts
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:54 PM

Most of the time our campsites are unpaved.  Unless we will be hooked up to the car, I always chock both wheels front and back.  It takes only seconds to accomplish.  I don't do it because it's necessary but to form a habit that does no harm.  It avoids making judgement calls about should I or shouldn't I. 

Edited by Carol Christensen, 20 August 2019 - 06:20 AM.

• Rob and Linda, NASA42 B and Jim&Clare like this
Carol Christensen

#9 cottons

cottons
  • Casita Club Member
  • 53 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Independence
  • Trailer Name:Trailer

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:15 AM

My advise would be to scotch all wheels.  Including the third, if you're using it. (think about a perfectly level, paved site, and a 20 mph wind)

#10 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 505 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 20 August 2019 - 04:55 AM

Folks.....

"And FWIW, most of us unpin and remove the tongue wheel for travel, thus we also get an additional 8" of clearance as well. In fact, I don't know of anyone I can think of who travels with the tongue wheel left on in transit unless you have "tip-up" landing gear."  I'm with Euphoria on this.

Frank   :rolleyes:

Edited by NASA42 B, 20 August 2019 - 04:57 AM.

• Euphoria likes this

#11 Linda & Bob, K4TAX

Linda & Bob, K4TAX
  • Casita Club Member
  • 40 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1999, 17 SD
  • Trailer Name:Room 4 Two
  • Casita Club Directory #:2033

Posted 02 September 2019 - 04:50 PM

I don't know where you set up camp at, but if I ever needed to chock both wheels, I'm looking for another site. Just me. For my needs, I have a good set of semi-commercial grade rubber chocks and I have never found the need to chock both sides.

And FWIW, most of us unpin and remove the tongue wheel for travel, thus we also get an additional 8" of clearance as well. In fact, I don't know of anyone I can think of who travels with the tongue wheel left on in transit unless you have "tip-up" landing gear.

Try camping on a nice level concrete pad with 20+ MPH winds.  No chocks front and rear of the wheels and the dolly wheel on the tongue jack.   The trailer will weather-vane.   NOT fun! 

#12 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 03 September 2019 - 06:43 AM

FWIW, I stick one of these under my tongue jack wheel, and it has never moved, even when parked in 65 mph winds. Just sayin'

https://www.camperid...gleid=621574969

• Linda & Bob, K4TAX likes this

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#13 Rob and Linda

Rob and Linda
  • Casita Club Member
  • 604 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Airstream 23D
  • Interests:Photography, woodworking, fly fishing, hiking/backpacking, audio, Porsches.
  • Trailer Name:Fortune Cookie

Posted 03 September 2019 - 08:16 AM

Chock (chick, chalk, scotch, or whatever) however you want.  Just remember, everything's just fine 'till it isn't. 

• Carol Christensen, Linda & Bob, K4TAX, Jerrybob and 1 other like this

Rob & Linda, Hurst, Texas
Our ex-Casita Photos
https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd300/albums/72157626742329244

Airstream Photos - https://www.flickr.com/photos/rfpd300/albums/72157663633667345
2014 Airstream 23D International Serenity
2015 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5 EcoBoost Max Tow

#14 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,897 posts
  • Local time: 05:05 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 07 September 2019 - 05:14 PM

We remove the wheel while towing. Otherwise, we do keep the wheel on while we're parked. And we NEVER not chock the tires, fore and aft, both sides. Nope, all it took was once. We were newbs. I was inside and my husband had neglected to chock the tires before unhitching. That is an unusual feeling..to feel your camper rolling when you're inside.

I tell newbies to keep one's Casita chocked at all times when it's not actually hitched to the truck. Maybe yours is different, but Grus Egg is a migratory bird, always willing to answer her wanderlust if she's not hobbled (chocked).

• Carol Christensen likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#15 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,234 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:03 PM

Our wakeup call as newbies was when I hadn't yet chocked the wheels and Jack, not knowing the trailer wasn't chocked, removed the chains.  Our campsite was in a small campground up on a hill and the back of the site had a wooden safety barrier because it dropped off to the road far, far below.  The site was dirt and not very level.  We were using the wheel on the tongue jack.  The trailer started to roll back, towards the barrier and I remember Jack grabbing the hitch trying to stop it.  Of course, he wasn't able to stop it but fortunately the site was also sloped to one side, so the trailer went into soft dirt at the side which stopped it.  If it had gone straight back and through the barrier, it would have fallen on the road about 40' - 50' below.  I shudder to think what harm that could have done, not just to the trailer but anyone on the road below.

That's why the very first thing I do is chock both wheels, front and back.  Always!

Edited by Carol Christensen, 07 September 2019 - 10:08 PM.

• NASA42 B and clairemr1 like this
Carol Christensen

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Caster wheel tongue jack