3 replies to this topic

#1 Branch711

Branch711
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 10:20 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Freedom Deluxe

Posted 12 August 2019 - 12:24 PM

Anyone installed the 2 step option from third party. How hard to install?

#2 Casita couple

Casita couple
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 08:20 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe

Posted 12 August 2019 - 01:14 PM

I installed the 2-step system and am completely satisfied. Answering how hard it is can be difficult since what is easy for one person may be nearly impossible for another. 

That being said, I used a metal cutting saws-all for the making the modifications to the stock Casita step mounting location following the well thought out directions. 

I used a drill, some clamps and a few misc tools for the install. It went smoothly and I had it complete in about 2 hours. It would have gone quicker but I discovered that one side of the new step assembly has bolt hole locations that are different than the other side. I made this discovery AFTER drilling holes using the template on BOTH sides of the original step assembly. It was not until I tried to bolt the new steps in that I found that some of the bolt holes in the new steps do not line up with the holes I had drilled in the frame. 

So.... my advice is that the steps are well made, the install is not too difficult given moderate skill level but be really careful to make sure the holes line up. I do not remember seeing two different hole pattern templates. Maybe that is fixed now. 

Hope that helps. 

allen

• NASA42 B likes this

#3 BahneCasita

BahneCasita
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 10:20 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 13 August 2019 - 10:12 AM

Allen, do you have any pictures of the steps in the travel position. I'd really like to install the second step but want to see what it looks like retracted. 

Thank you

I installed the 2-step system and am completely satisfied. Answering how hard it is can be difficult since what is easy for one person may be nearly impossible for another. 

That being said, I used a metal cutting saws-all for the making the modifications to the stock Casita step mounting location following the well thought out directions. 

I used a drill, some clamps and a few misc tools for the install. It went smoothly and I had it complete in about 2 hours. It would have gone quicker but I discovered that one side of the new step assembly has bolt hole locations that are different than the other side. I made this discovery AFTER drilling holes using the template on BOTH sides of the original step assembly. It was not until I tried to bolt the new steps in that I found that some of the bolt holes in the new steps do not line up with the holes I had drilled in the frame. 

So.... my advice is that the steps are well made, the install is not too difficult given moderate skill level but be really careful to make sure the holes line up. I do not remember seeing two different hole pattern templates. Maybe that is fixed now. 

Hope that helps. 

allen

#4 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,091 posts
  • Local time: 08:20 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 13 August 2019 - 11:20 AM

Here's a picture of the one I bought from Little House Customs that I installed on my 17 SD. I don't have a picture of it folded, but the lower step folds up, (upside down,) on top of the upper step. Then the upper step slides into the mount for storage much like the single step does, into the arched cut-out. No part of it hangs down below the side bracing sections, and FWIW, it isn't any lower than the original single step when stowed.

Attached Thumbnails

• newstep.JPG

• NASA42 B likes this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754