• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,320 posts
  • Local time: 07:30 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 31 July 2019 - 02:07 PM

While camping in Oregon, the water supply valve on the back of the toilet began leaking badly.  We shut off the pump which meant no water use for 8 days but we did OK.  My portable sink was a great convenience and the campground facilities were nearby.  The dish water was emptied into the holding tanks.

LHC has sent a new Water Module and a mod for a supply line cut-off.  The cut-off allows only the supply to the toilet to be stopped, so the rest of the water system can still be used.

My question is about Thetford’s instructions for replacing the Module.  They begin with removing the toilet.  I used a mirror to check out the area and it looks like the Module connections are all visible behind the toilet.  They could be accessed, although it would be awkward.  Is it really necessary to remove and reinstall the toilet just to replace the Water Module?

We don’t plan on doing the job ourselves but I’d like to know what to expect.  The kit includes a new seal but in my search for info, it seems that the result of reinstalling the toilet can result in odors.  It’s just that we’ve never had odors and sure don’t want them now.

Then again, our Casita is 14 years old so maybe the time is right for a new seal.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#2 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,304 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:57 PM

Carol - I had my water valve (module) replaced in February by Jimmy's RV repair in Deming, NM.  As far as I know they did not remove the toilet. According to their invoice, labor was a mere 0.25 hours, or $23.75.  The valve itself cost $48.50, but you already have the valve.

Yes, it might be a bit awkward to bend over and make like a pretzel but that's an RV repairman's lot.

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#3 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,320 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 31 July 2019 - 05:08 PM

Thanks, Ed.  This is very good news.  Jimmy's RV repair sounds special.  I don't know if anyone around here would charge for 0.25 hours, they would probably round up to a full hour.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#4 cajun

cajun
  • Casita Club Member
  • 41 posts
  • Local time: 09:30 PM

Posted 01 August 2019 - 04:04 PM

It took me less than an hour to change mine. Plenty room behind the toilet to maneuver the module around in order to disconnect/connect the linkage. Patience, patience.

• Carol Christensen likes this
2008 17' SD
1998 F150 V8
Retired
One cat named UG(short for ugly)
Carencro, Louisiana

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leaks, bathroom, toilet removal