First, drill out the heads of the 3 rivets holding the inside circular plastic piece: they are rivets, and you should use a 3/16” inch drill bit. Move the drill about as you drill, and usually the circular head will crawl up the drill bit. After you remove the circular plastic piece, you can push out the rest of the rivet and get rid of it.
Then, go up top of your Casita. Unscrew the 2 screws holding the top “lid” of this exhaust fan, keeping out water.
*Note: take note of the position of this old fan assembly, for when you replace it with the new one.*
Then, drill out each of these rivets, through the blob of clear latex that kept it waterproof.
When all rivet heads are removed, the assembly will still not really budge. Because of the latex sealant bond.
Therefore, take an exacto knife, and run all the way around the assembly into the join of the assembly and the roof, to begin to break that bond. That should do it; move it about and then lift it up.
You can cut the two wires, from it, but far enough from the body to give you enough room to easily splice onto the new fan assembly (and maybe several times in the future, too, so don’t cut yourself short.)
Splice both wires, corresponding to the colors of the wires, of course. I used appropriately-sized wire nuts.
Then place fan, in place, lining up the top-hat metal base of those 2 screws you removed, towards the front.
Now it’s time to start Riveting! Was my first experience, riveting.
Use a 3/4’ rivet; you can buy them from Casita, labelled as their “68 rivet”. However, i also bought a 50-pack from Lowe’s, since it appears its the primary type used on the Casita; Aluminum, Long Rivet, 3/16”/5mm shank, with a grip of 1/2”/12mm (Arrow classified as needing to use the Yellow rivet head, if that’s the kind of rivet gun you own).
Primarily, while applying pressure on the handle, cranking in the pressure, also put pressure on the top of the head of the gun, so that when it snaps in the rivet, it’s an absolute tight connection.
(Btw, Casita apparently uses rivets rather than screws, since the latter will make the fiberglass crack over time).
One by one rivet in the new fan assembly.
Since it’s not exactly flat, do the best you can, but the gap will have to be made up with the use of extra Sealant (Btw I used: “ProFlexRV”, just because heard good things about it. Worked well for me; Very sticky).
Seal once all the way around, including putting a little “glob” on the head of each rivet like they did at the factory. Screw the head back on, with those two screws, and ‘blob’ those heads too. Then, the next day i went back and finalized my application of sealant all the way around the assembly. And that’s IT for that part!
Finally, back inside the bathroom, I replaced the new circular piece of white plastic into the fan, and mounted with 3 more of these same rivets. Then, since we leave ours plugged in, i pushed the red button and .... wallah!!! It worked! Your’e done.
We bought the whole fan assembly for about $65 here: http://www.etrailer....e/VP-543SP.html
For more information on replacing only parts of this fan assembly, see the posting: 'The Little Bathroom Fan/exhaust'.
Thanks so much to those guys for leading me in the right direction to start with.
Good luck! It’s really not that big of a deal. Probably took me 1 1/2 hours after collecting all the tools and parts.