7 replies to this topic

#1 Rojo

Rojo
  • Casita Club Member
  • 12 posts
  • Local time: 04:51 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 16'

Posted 20 July 2019 - 01:25 PM

Had a blowout close to nowhere. Spare was good, slightly underinflated at 50psi, the other tire was at 65psi.  The only place with a tire that, fortunately, was the same brand only had an E rated tire; my others are D rated.  Put the new tire in the spare position.

D rated tires recommend 65psi while E rated tires recommend inflation to 80psi.  So right now I am running on tires inflated to 65psi with a spare filled to 80psi.  My question is when the time comes and I have to use the spare, will the additional 20psi on one side make any difference?  Should I deflate the E rated tire to 65psi to match the others?  Can I do so safely or would it be basically running the tire underinflated thus promoting more wear?

Thanks for any input.

#2 Jim&Clare

Jim&Clare
  • Casita Club Member
  • 148 posts
  • Local time: 03:51 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 Bigfoot 17
  • Interests:Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Posted 20 July 2019 - 01:34 PM

You set the pressure to suit the load it has to carry (plus a bit)

Find the load/pressure chart for your tire(s)

Here is an example

rv_inflation-page-001.jpg

Pump up to the required pressure...

Jim

• NASA42 B likes this

Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Happily running around in a 2002 Bigfoot 17

Where is Jim now?

#3 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,941 posts
  • Local time: 01:51 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 20 July 2019 - 02:08 PM

I hope no one was hurt, Rojo. Blowouts are never fun. How old was the tire that blew?

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#4 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,044 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:10 AM

My E rated tires have a max 80 psi......I run them at 65 psi....I suggest you run your spare at 65 psi.....you will not have a problem.  Sorry about the blowout.  Safe travels.

#5 Rojo

Rojo
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 12 posts
  • Local time: 04:51 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 16'

Posted 21 July 2019 - 01:12 PM

Thanks to all. 

I will adjust the spare to 65psi and hope I don't need it any time soon.

Not sure how old the tires were, they were on the Casita when we purchased it in early 2017 but they looked fine, lots of tread, no visible rot.  There was not much left by the time I stopped.  We had been on the road for a little over a month.

I was happy with the way the Casita handled itself though.  I had installed a sway control bar not long after we purchased it and before I figured out that it actually towed much better if I did not carry water in the tank.  It took one good sway, straightened up, then tracked right behind my truck as I pulled off the road.   And yeah, it was scary. It was the first time I have had a trailer tire blow; at least on a single axle trailer.

#6 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,116 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 21 July 2019 - 02:39 PM

Personally, I keep all my tires, (and particularly the never-used spare,) at max pressure. Most tires will lose some pressure over time just sitting around. I find that it is much easier to swap out a flat for the spare, and then adjust (deflate) the pressure as needed, but if it is already a bit low when you put it on, well, you know the drill...

And if you don't have at the very least, one of those "pocket pen" type PSI tire gauges, I suggest getting one and tossing it in your glove compartment. Good for checking your TV too!

Edited by Euphoria, 21 July 2019 - 02:42 PM.

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#7 Smokymtgirl03

Smokymtgirl03
  • Casita Club Member
  • 56 posts
  • Local time: 05:51 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 Spirit Deluxe 17ft
  • Interests:Working on #2, a 1997 16 Ft Freedom Deluxe now that Annie is finished. Camping,Fly Fishing, Hiking, Paddling (Canoe and Kayak),Pretty much anything outside...
  • Trailer Name:Raggedy Annie and #2

Posted 22 July 2019 - 07:51 AM

That is not a fun thing to have happen.  It is really great that nothing worse happened.  When I bought my 2000 in North Houston The kid I picked her up from was in a rush to go out.  It was kind of late on a Saturday evening.  On the way back to Knoxville, at about 10:00pm that night, I felt a thump and wondered if I ran over a possom or armadillo.  I stopped and checked and I had lost the tread on the first tire.  The spare had about 20 lbs of air.  So I limped about 5 miles to a gas station, and filled the spare.  Just outside Beaumont, TX, I felt another thump, looked into the mirror, and saw the birth of a road gator.  Pulled over, got the tread out of the road, threw it in the back of the truck.  I parked the Casita next to Ford Arena and pulled off the second tire, loaded it up and was blessed to find a NTB tire store that was open on Sunday.  They really,really busy, but by the time I found a WhatABurger, and are lunch, they were done!!!  The guy at NTB said that the previous owner had pulled a "Worlds Fastest Indian" on me, and had put black shoe polish on the tires to hide the dry rot cracks.  When I finally got home, I got new rims on all 3 tires.   ***Note to self-next time check it out better.***

#8 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,044 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:15 AM

Wow....that really stinks and could have been much worse.  Hope you called the guy and gave him your thoughts.  I check my tires before evey trip....including the spare.  As mentioned....I run them at 65psi and the trailer handles great.  It's rare to wear out trailer tires....most need replacement due to age vs mileage.  Also....while checking the trailer tires.....check the tow vehicle tires at the same time.....lot of folks don't and wear out tires sooner than need be.  Safe travels all.     

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tires, air pressure, tire rating