• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Elishagxp

Elishagxp
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:1998 spirit deluxe

Posted 20 June 2019 - 02:10 PM

Original fridge died and looking for an updated replacement fridge. A new one from a dealer is $1000+(rm2451/2454) or it's $550 + core for remanufactured coils and compressor. Does anyone else have this issue or can point me in the right direction?
  • Smokymtgirl03 likes this

#2 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,253 posts
  • Local time: 03:25 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:07 PM

I had my fridge replace in November of 2015, by Jimmy's RV in Deming, NM.  I, too, had the choice between all new or reman parts.  His opinion was that by just replacing parts you would have remanufactured parts but still a 20 year old fridge, good for trouble down the road. He recommended to replace with with a new unit. So I did.

Reading from the invoice I can quote:  Dometic RM2451 refrigerator - $1,079.00.  Truck freight  

$113.00.  Labor to remove and replace the rear window and replace the refrigerator. 4 hours - $380.

Total costs $1,695.88.  I believe this is the most expensive item you can replace in a Casita.

I need to explain that, starting in 2003, the year of my Casita, the factory enlarged the rear window to, surprise, the dimensions needed to remove and reinstall a frig without having to take it apart.  Your 1998 Casita has the small window so that won't work. Discuss what needs to be done with the small window with whoever would do the work.  I believe the 'old' way was to take the frig apart and move it in piece wise. Different labor costs then.

One other item, the frig came with a right opening door instead of a normal left opening door.  Conveniently, Dometic has a package, at extra cost of course, to modify the door.  Jimmy's said no way and turned the door upside down, relocated the handle and a few other items, and that worked.  So, make  sure you specify left (normal) frig door opening.

Hope this helps,

Dutchman

• thetravelkids and Smokymtgirl03 like this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#3 Smokymtgirl03

Smokymtgirl03
  • Casita Club Member
  • 56 posts
  • Local time: 05:25 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 Spirit Deluxe 17ft
  • Interests:Working on #2, a 1997 16 Ft Freedom Deluxe now that Annie is finished. Camping,Fly Fishing, Hiking, Paddling (Canoe and Kayak),Pretty much anything outside...
  • Trailer Name:Raggedy Annie and #2

Posted 22 June 2019 - 10:25 AM

I am a do it myself girl, and when I got Annie, 2000 17ft SD, she didn't have  fridge.  I wanted the Dometic RM 2451.  Too big to go in the door or window.  I took out the refrigerator access vent outside, cut the opening taller, and slid the new fridge in that way.  I reinstalled the original vent, and put a metal air duct return vent over it using stainless steel screws.  Looks almost factory.  There are 2  pictured of a used fridge that quit working after about 2 months of installation, and one of the new one.  There was enough room for me to make a nice drawer over the new fridge.  

I am not sure how the pictures get sideways or upside down when I post them...  Operator error...

Attached Thumbnails

• 20181031_132359.jpg
  • 20181031_144032.jpg
  • 20181220_175458.jpg
  • 20181230_160539.jpg

• Carol Christensen, Dutchman, Hot Toddy and 1 other like this

#4 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,253 posts
  • Local time: 03:25 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:10 PM

Proficiat!  A highly capable woman, my hat off to you.  I have no such skills.  By the way, when I moved your pictures from your thread onto my desktop to see an enlarged version they automatically came right side up.  Magic!

Dutchman

Edited by Dutchman, 22 June 2019 - 05:11 PM.

• Smokymtgirl03 likes this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#5 Smokymtgirl03

Smokymtgirl03
  • Casita Club Member
  • 56 posts
  • Local time: 05:25 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 Spirit Deluxe 17ft
  • Interests:Working on #2, a 1997 16 Ft Freedom Deluxe now that Annie is finished. Camping,Fly Fishing, Hiking, Paddling (Canoe and Kayak),Pretty much anything outside...
  • Trailer Name:Raggedy Annie and #2

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:22 AM

Dutchman, you just have the magic touch with the pictures!  Me, I'm just touched...  But not by an Angel...