4 replies to this topic

#1 Beadfingers

Beadfingers
  • Casita Club Member
  • 23 posts
  • Local time: 01:50 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Spirit Deluxe/ 17

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:59 AM

Do folks keep the hot water heater on all the time while dry camping?  Or only at certain times?  How long does the tank need to heat?  I imagine camping in the mountains with cold overnight temps and trying to keep that tank hot would be a waste of propane.  

Thanks,

Julia

#2 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,432 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:08 AM

no, i only keep it on for showers. it only takes a few minutes to heat the water once turned on. same with the water pump. only turned on when i need it, then turned off.....

Edited by clairemr1, 20 June 2019 - 11:09 AM.

• Beadfingers likes this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#3 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,251 posts
  • Local time: 11:50 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 20 June 2019 - 11:33 AM

We turn it off between uses.  It goes on in the morning, then off most of the day.  During the day it will stay hot enough to wash a few dishes, etc.  It's always off overnight but heats quickly in the morning. 

We also turn off the pump when we will be away from camp for a while.  It's for safety; if a valve fails or a faucet is not quite turned all the way off, there's the possibility of flooding.  When hooked up to an outside water supply, the grey tank would fill then overflow and flood the trailer.  It wouldn't be as bad if the fresh water tank was being used but even that much water could flood.  We turn the pump off at night too.  That's to avoid having the pump go on in the middle of one of those cold nights, not that the pump runs for a long time but it will pop on in a little "burp" once in while as the water cools.  Irritating.

• Beadfingers likes this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#4 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 583 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 20 June 2019 - 12:13 PM

Depending on the ambient temperature of your mountain campsite, your HWH should heat water on propane warm enough to take a shower in about 20-30 minutes. If I am plugged into shore power I leave the HWH on electricity until I break camp. If I am boon docking on propane, I only turn it on to shower and then try to time washing my dishes to coincide. Otherwise, I would simply heat a kettle of water on the stove for dish washing.

Toddy

• Beadfingers likes this

#5 Beadfingers

Beadfingers
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 23 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Spirit Deluxe/ 17

Posted 20 June 2019 - 03:04 PM

Thanks y'all.  You're responses really help.  Heading off tomorrow for 9 days out -first to Colorado Springs (camping in Woodland Park) and then in the San Juans.  I know I'll discover lots as I go.  Sooooo excited!  Your support is greatly appreciated.  

Julia