9 replies to this topic

#1 Beadfingers

Beadfingers
  • Casita Club Member
  • 23 posts
  • Local time: 01:48 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Spirit Deluxe/ 17

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:17 PM

Ok - if you remember, I am a total newbie, learning from scratch.  

I got my casita back from a check up so all systems should be working.  However, it seems there's no power at all.  I opened my propane tank and it's got gas (green zone) but when I follow the A-Z guide's instructions for the fridge, it seems the panel will not light up. I also cannot turn on any lights.   Am I missing a crucial step to get the battery to turn on? The battery was checked and supposedly the battery cable ends needed repair, and were repaired.  

Thanks, 

Julia

• Smokymtgirl03 likes this

#2 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Local time: 11:48 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 07 June 2019 - 06:11 PM

Your 3-way fridge needs to have 12 vdc power for the control board, even if you are on 120 vac shore power or running it on Propane. Also, all the lights in the trailer are 12vdc as well, so I'd check the 12 vdc fuses, and go outside and open the battery enclosure to make sure that it is wired correctly, (Black wire is power and White & Green wires go to the negative terminal. Also check to see that any battery cut-off isolation switch is on, (if you have one.). I'd also check to make sure that the 120 vac circuit breaker for the fridge isn't tripped as well. If it is tripped, it must be reset by going fully to the off position until it clicks, then back to on. Just going from "tripped" to the on position will not reset it. I would also check your 12 vdc fuse in the converter for the fridge as well to be sure it isn't blown. Also, push the fridge selector button to OFF on the top fridge control panel, and then back on to either ac or propane. Sometimes this will clear a fault condition. The fridge will only work if it has 12 vdc power for any of the cooling methods you select.

As a side note, if they disconnected the battery wires, and inadvertently hooked them up wrong, you can count on blowing the two 30 Amp dc fuses in the converter. If they are blown, they will need to be replaced. Just trying to cover several bags here for troubleshooting. Start with the simple things first.

Edited by Euphoria, 07 June 2019 - 06:22 PM.

• Beadfingers, Smokymtgirl03 and brightday like this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#3 Beadfingers

Beadfingers
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 06:44 PM

thank you, Euphoria.  That's a lot of excellent information.  Julia

#4 Beadfingers

Beadfingers
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 08:48 AM

So, it seems that the battery was drained.  The fridge light panel went on when I plugged it into AC power at my house.  I have it on AC - but I don't hear a motor or feel vibrations that it is "on". Is that normal?  I cannot sense that it is cooling.  It is level front to back and side to side.  

The AC unit works with the unit plugged into power,  but the ceiling fan is not turning on.  The 4 amp fuse looks intact.  Any suggestions how to trouble shoot that.  The A-Z book does not say much about it.  

I am planning to take it out into the forest a short distance from home for one night.  I guess this will be the way to test if the battery is holding the charge.  

#5 Beadfingers

Beadfingers
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:06 AM

I figured the fan out!  And switched the fridge to propane - after reading how it is more efficient. I do hear something subtle - so hoping that means its "burning" and cooling.  I sure hope this gets to be a smoother process for me.  

#6 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 01:26 PM

I have it on AC - but I don't hear a motor or feel vibrations that it is "on". Is that normal?  I cannot sense that it is cooling.  It is level front to back and side to side.  

You won't hear anything running, (i.e. motor, compressor, etc.) from one of these fridges. They don't have any moving parts. They are strictly ammonia absorption units which use natural convection to create evaporation and condensation to operate.

The AC unit works with the unit plugged into power,  but the ceiling fan is not turning on.  The 4 amp fuse looks intact.  Any suggestions how to trouble shoot that.  The A-Z book does not say much about it.  

The A/C unit is strictly 120 vac only. It will not run unless you have 120 vac shore power. The ceiling fans, just like all the trailer's lights, are strictly 12 vdc, and they run off either the battery or the converter's "dc" side when you are on shore power.

I am planning to take it out into the forest a short distance from home for one night.  I guess this will be the way to test if the battery is holding the charge.  

Probably easier to remove it now and take it to any auto parts supply place. They can "bench test" it for you and tell you in a couple of minutes whether it is shot or still good. Why wait until you are "boondocking" to find that you have a dead battery that doesn't work or hold a charge, especially when you won't have any shore power available as a back-up. Not sure what year your trailer is, nor the age of the battery, but if it is more than a few years old, it may be shot. Especially if it was abused or improperly cared for by the previous owner. (As an aside, you may want to update your avatar to include some information about your trailer model and year so that when you have problems or questions, it will be easier for folks to give you pertinent information.) They have changed many things in these rigs over the years, so the more info available, the better the responses will be.

• Dutchman, Beadfingers, Smokymtgirl03 and 1 other like this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#7 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 01:35 PM

I figured the fan out!  And switched the fridge to propane - after reading how it is more efficient. I do hear something subtle - so hoping that means its "burning" and cooling.  I sure hope this gets to be a smoother process for me.  

The fantastic fan must have the thermostat knob on it set low enough to let the fan come on, and the top screw-down rain hatch cover must be raised a few inches before it will allow the fan to come on as well.

Also, a word of caution regarding the overhead fan. Never change the fan's direction, (i.e. blowing out or blowing in,) until it is turned off and allowed to come to a complete stop. If the fan blade is still rotating, you will blow the fuse if you switch it from blowing in to out, or vice versa.

There's a lot to learn, but there's a lot of help available here to get you up and running. Seems a bit daunting at first, but you'll get it. Everyone has to start at the beginning. We've all been "newbies" at one time or another.

• Dutchman, NASA42 B, Beadfingers and 1 other like this

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754

#8 Smokymtgirl03

Smokymtgirl03
  • Casita Club Member
  • 56 posts
  • Local time: 03:48 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 Spirit Deluxe 17ft
  • Interests:Working on #2, a 1997 16 Ft Freedom Deluxe now that Annie is finished. Camping,Fly Fishing, Hiking, Paddling (Canoe and Kayak),Pretty much anything outside...
  • Trailer Name:Raggedy Annie and #2

Posted 09 June 2019 - 06:06 AM

I could hear your excitement when you figured the fan out!  Just stay excited about your Casita.  Everything gets easier with time.  You get into almost a rhythm of how you set up and take down your campsite.  And you will learn something new every time you camp.  Just like beading, the more you do it, the easier it gets, and the better it looks.  I have my share of blood on buckskin, but I did learn (I learned that I like working with pony beads better than seed beads) .   

• thetravelkids and Beadfingers like this

#9 Beadfingers

Beadfingers
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 10:46 AM

The fantastic fan must have the thermostat knob on it set low enough to let the fan come on, and the top screw-down rain hatch cover must be raised a few inches before it will allow the fan to come on as well.

It was even more simple: the in-out switch was in the neutral position.  Ha! I felt stupid and triumphant at the same time. 

BTW - I was so exhausted after hours of trouble shooting that I decided to camp in the driveway to test everything.  It was a fun night and next weekend we are heading for the wilderness for another test, before the the big week long excursion into the Rocky Mountains.  I WILL get the battery checked prior, and replace if necessary before my trip.  That's such sage advice.  Many thanks!

#10 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 09:03 AM

It was even more simple: the in-out switch was in the neutral position.  Ha! I felt stupid and triumphant at the same time. 

BTW - I was so exhausted after hours of trouble shooting that I decided to camp in the driveway to test everything.  It was a fun night and next weekend we are heading for the wilderness for another test, before the the big week long excursion into the Rocky Mountains.  I WILL get the battery checked prior, and replace if necessary before my trip.  That's such sage advice.  Many thanks!

Glad it's working out for you. Have a great trip!

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

Casita Club # 2754