#1 Carol&Michael

Carol&Michael
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 01:06 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty Deluxe 17
  • Trailer Name:White Wolf

Posted 29 May 2019 - 05:22 PM

So pleased to find this forum! We are finally both retired, and researched the heck out of RVs and fell in love with the Casita. Fell into a 2017 Liberty Deluxe locally that is in great condition, and we are so excited to get out on the road with her. We have a Chevy Colorado that will be pulling her, and have finally got the truck set up to pull her. Our first camping trip will be relatively close to home for a couple of days on the Olympic Peninsula. Thank you to all of you Casita experts - weve already learned so much from Casita owners who are so willing to share!

#2 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 579 posts
  • Local time: 03:06 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:48 AM

Congratulations on retirement and your new Casita. They both look good on you! Don’t be afraid to camp in your trailer parked in your driveway until you fall in love with her. They are simple to use and economical to tow. Always remember, you can go anywhere the big rigs go, but they can’t go everywhere you can go. And you have the same amount of room they do, just step out the door and the world is your oyster!

Toddy
  • Carol&Michael likes this

#3 Carol&Michael

Carol&Michael
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 06:14 AM

Thanks, Toddy! Great advice. This past weekend we observed so many “big” trailers on the road and are quite happy to have a little one for our adventures! Amazing how few Casitas there are out there compared to other brands. I wonder if a lot of people “go big” and quickly regret it because of the effort involved in doing just about everything with what they have.

#4 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,421 posts
  • Local time: 03:06 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 30 May 2019 - 06:54 AM

Thanks, Toddy! Great advice. This past weekend we observed so many “big” trailers on the road and are quite happy to have a little one for our adventures! Amazing how few Casitas there are out there compared to other brands. I wonder if a lot of people “go big” and quickly regret it because of the effort involved in doing just about everything with what they have.

many folks have chatted me up, several have offered to buy my casita (NOT for sale, nope, nada, not a chance). the men seem more interested than the women (that would change if the men ever needed their partners to actually tow, set up or back their rigs into a tight spot). however, to be fair, there are many who find these trailers too small. it works both ways. i'm just glad i got mine when i did, before they stopped making the 13ft PD. over 5 yrs/75,000 trouble-free trailer miles later, i wouldn't change it for the world.

enjoy your casita!

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#5 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,007 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:35 AM

So pleased to find this forum! We are finally both retired, and researched the heck out of RVs and fell in love with the Casita. Fell into a 2017 Liberty Deluxe locally that is in great condition, and we are so excited to get out on the road with her. We have a Chevy Colorado that will be pulling her, and have finally got the truck set up to pull her. Our first camping trip will be relatively close to home for a couple of days on the Olympic Peninsula. Thank you to all of you Casita experts - weve already learned so much from Casita owners who are so willing to share!

Congrats....the Olympia Penn. is a great place to visit.  Fort Worden in Port Townsend is a great place to camp. If you make it around the entire loop....visit the Lake Quinault area....beautiful.  If you head South another hour....visit the Northwest Carriage Museum in Raymond...best collection of horse drawn vehicles in the western USA.  Have fun and safe travels.  

#6 Blacksmith

Blacksmith
  • Casita Club Member
  • 67 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2017 Liberty Delux 17'
  • Interests:Ham Radio/electronics
  • Trailer Name:Cassie

Posted 30 May 2019 - 12:49 PM

Welcome, C & M, I, too, tow with a Chevy Colorado. My first outing with the Colorado was over A 5300’ very steep/curvy pass. Very nearly set the brake pads on fire. It is necessary to get used to the manual paddle use for selecting gears to assist in steep downhill runs. My other truck is a Ford 450 flatbed with manual tranny. Don’t even know the Vasita is behind that one. The change in TV’s was a real eye opener to me. Be careful.

#7 Carol&Michael

Carol&Michael
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 01:06 PM

Welcome, C & M, I, too, tow with a Chevy Colorado. My first outing with the Colorado was over A 5300’ very steep/curvy pass. Very nearly set the brake pads on fire. It is necessary to get used to the manual paddle use for selecting gears to assist in steep downhill runs. My other truck is a Ford 450 flatbed with manual tranny. Don’t even know the Vasita is behind that one. The change in TV’s was a real eye opener to me. Be careful.

Thanks, Blacksmith. Our Colorado is a manual, so downshifting is already second nature and probably easier than in an automatic. We are aware of the lighter vehicle/engine capacity, and definitely will take it into account when picking routes. We may eventually end up with a more powerful vehicle, but for now Michael’s delighted to be able to keep his beloved truck. :) I do appreciate your warning, though! :)