7 replies to this topic

#1 Beadfingers

Beadfingers
  • Casita Club Member
  • 23 posts
  • Local time: 02:27 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Spirit Deluxe/ 17

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:47 AM

Hi! I'm Julia in Albuquerque. I have a  2007 17' SD that's been sitting in my driveway for 2 years. I will tow with a  Toyota Tacoma.  I used it once for 4 days with my kids when I got it, and then changes at work and home made travel difficult.  Getting ready for my 2nd trip in June, and hopefully many more.  I was going to be a solo woman (with my pittie, Shooki), but fell in love, so now I've got a buddy to join me for some of my trips.  My young adult children seem uninterested to go camping with mom.  Six years ago, after we got our dog, I rented a class C (19' cruise america) RV and we made a week long trip to the "Dog Beaches of Southern California". It was fabulous and we've made a few trips to the beach over the years with the rented Class C.  I hated having to stow and secure everything each time we wanted to travel from the campground, so I opted for a trailer. I have a lot to learn, and feel overwhelmed again, but pretty excited.  I am either retired or in between gigs.  I haven't decided yet.  Oh, and the username comes from my hobby.  I do beadwork with tiny glass beads that I stitch together. 

PS - We already cracked our door on the first trip.  Live and Learn.  :-)

#2 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,421 posts
  • Local time: 03:27 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:52 AM

hi, julia, glad to hear you'll soon be enjoying your casita again. i'd advise you to check things out locally before heading out on a long trip, if your trailer has been sitting for 2 yrs. make sure critters haven't taken up residence in your fridge, make sure anode rod is good, battery is strong, etc. test everything on electric then on propane. check for leaks, check the rivets/snap caps. give it a thorough washing/waxing. you don't want to find out things need repair/replacement/maintenance when you're many miles from home/familiar repair places. have fun...........

Edited by clairemr1, 07 May 2019 - 10:52 AM.

• Smokymtgirl03 likes this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#3 Beadfingers

Beadfingers
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 23 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2007 Spirit Deluxe/ 17

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:00 AM

Thanks for that advice!  Yes, we had a big hail storm and I have it "at the shop" getting the hail damage repaired (awning caps, and other plastic parts were destroyed - although fiber glass did great).  I see the benefit of a cover.   I also am having a thorough systems and appliance check and check of all the tank / pipes - as I don't even remember if I winterized appropriately (YIKES!).  I am sort of treating it as starting from scratch.  Then I will do a night out in my driveway hooked up to electric and water, and then another night out in nearby wilderness - before my Colorado adventure in late June with BF.  Can you tell I'm nervous about mishaps? 

#4 Raccoon11

Raccoon11
  • Casita Club Member
  • 8 posts
  • Local time: 01:27 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 SD
  • Interests:Grandsons, learning to play a banjo, fixing stuff and traveling.
  • Trailer Name:Amelia

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself Julia, and welcome to a circle of friends who will travel with you in spirit (and some of us also in a Spirit Deluxe!) We are down the road from you in Chandler, AZ and we have several fellow Casita-tites who live within a mile of us. Are you aware of the Casita Gathering in Durango later this month? If not, please follow the link and consider joining us: www.camplightnercreek.com

And since we all consider NM to be a destination of choice, perhaps we should consider that possibility of making a "gathering" of our own at some point.  Russell

#5 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,253 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:08 PM

Nice introduction, Julia, and welcome.  You might consider a wheel bearing job after sitting for two years.  I'm all for a NM gettogether at some point.  NM probably has the least expensive state parks in the US. I spend a lot of time in southern NM.  Love the State.  

Happy camping,

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#6 Smokymtgirl03

Smokymtgirl03
  • Casita Club Member
  • 56 posts
  • Local time: 04:27 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 Spirit Deluxe 17ft
  • Interests:Working on #2, a 1997 16 Ft Freedom Deluxe now that Annie is finished. Camping,Fly Fishing, Hiking, Paddling (Canoe and Kayak),Pretty much anything outside...
  • Trailer Name:Raggedy Annie and #2

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:37 AM

Welcome to the Clan, Julia!

I'm Cindy and my camping partner is Bobby, a Cairn Terriorist (now I understand why Toto chased the Lion...)  He is a bad navigator, and even less help when it comes to help while backing up.  All I see is fur in the right mirror...   We have a 17 ft SD named Annie, a Hurricane Harvey rescue.  Our adventures started 2 years ago when I bought her in South Houston, TX.  We only had 2 flat tires on the way back to Knoxville, TN.  I was really glad that my brother told me to make sure I had a floor jack in the truck...  She is now refinished from the floor up, and gets around!

As a solo female camper, you learn a lot fast.  Everything is an adventure, and is what you make it.  Take any problems in stride, and they become a "learning experience" and, yes, I learn most things the hard way...  Keep a little "Camper Notebook", and put little notes in it of things you wish you would have brought "Note to self, grab extra flashlight batteries", ideas stolen from other campers-"Wow, suction cup hooks are great to hang wet towels from outside", general notes "Site 42 has more shade and is level".  Bobby and I have done the Lake Superior Circle tour, the Lake Huron Circle tour, and campsite hopped for about a month in GA and FLA.  We have been all over TN from Reelfoot Lake SP to Warriors Path SP.  And we have done our share of Walmart camping.

The go to book for Casita info is fantastic.  It helped me rebuild Annie, my ft 17 ft SD, and will be my reference guide as I work on #2, a 1998 16 ft SD that we got in Annapolis, MD.

Casita Travel Trailer A-Z Owner's Guide - Love My Casita

And always remember, Where there is a woman, there is a way! 

Enjoy the road!

Cindy

• Dutchman likes this

#7 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,007 posts
  • Local time: 01:27 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 11 May 2019 - 08:49 AM

Welcome to thc club Julia.....enjoy that Casita.  These little trailers are so much fun.....we just got back from 2 weeks along the Oregon coast.  Casita's are the perfect way to travel. Have fun...and safe travels.  

#8 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 503 posts
  • Local time: 04:27 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 11 May 2019 - 06:13 PM

Julia.......

Welcome to this Casita clan!.......   Each trip you take will probably expand the horizons of your RVing bucket list.   After all..... there's a lot of  US memorable sights and locations  to visit, see, and enjoy!    And I wish you as much pleasure pursuing that list  as I've been experiencing.

Frank   :rolleyes: