• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jim & Amy

Jim & Amy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 10:21 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2012 Casita SD
  • Interests:camping, quilting, hiking, biking, home handyman jobs, family, grandkids, reading

Posted 02 May 2019 - 02:16 PM

We have a leak on the toilet immediately downstream of the supply line. Any ideas on how to repair?

#2 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,261 posts
  • Local time: 09:21 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 02 May 2019 - 02:51 PM

Sounds like you need a new replacement flushing water valve for the back of your toilet, if it is leaking, (assuming you don't have something obvious wrong like a bad PEX fitting or connection or a split PEX hose, (or as is often the case, a problematic installation where the "technician" cross-threaded the water line onto the flush water valve behind the toilet, which they've been known to do on many occasions.)

For your Thetford Aqua-Magic V, this is the replacement valve you'll need to change out if it is leaking. Even if you don't need one of these right away, I guarantee you will eventually, as they are known to be a weak spot in their design. Get one for a spare at least.

https://www.amazon.c...ASIN=B002UC1AYQ

And another great addition would be to add an isolation valve to the water supply line to the toilet so that if you do have a leak, you can secure the water supply to it and open it as you need just to flush, then turn it off again. Could be a "vacation saver" and it's relatively cheap insurance if a leak pops up.

Or you can get them both here:  

https://littlehousec...store.html#plum

TOILET VALVE
This is a direct replacement valve for the Thetford AquaMagic V toilet used by Casita since about 2004. We also have the valve for the earlier AquaMagic IV used from approximately 2000 until sometime in 04. The IV would be identifyed by its two foot pedals. About a 20 minute job to replace. The symptom dictating replacement is water pouring out the back of the toilet. Note the next product is an emergency cure for this problem that still lets you use the rest of your water system. (see Toilet Supply Mod)

Thetford AquaMagic V replacement valve $41.95

TOILET SUPPLY MOD
This a simple mod that could save a camping trip from disaster. Cut the supply line to the toilet and plug in this quick connect ¼ turn valve. If your toilet valve leaks or won’t stop flushing simply cut off the water to the toilet as a temporary measure until you get your problem fixed, and keep on camping! The toilet can be flushed manually using your shower head. This mod is also a benefit to Boondockers as it allows you to flush the toilet without consuming water (the foot pedal still works) or recycling gray water or using the shower head as need dictates.

Toilet Supply Mod $12.49

Edited by Euphoria, 02 May 2019 - 03:10 PM.

• HARMON and Meadowlark like this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Deluxe

Casita Club # 2754

#3 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,362 posts
  • Local time: 09:21 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 21 July 2019 - 04:57 PM

Euphoria, thanks for the timely information.

The toilet valve on our 2005 developed an unstoppable leak at the beginning of an 8 day trip.  Fortunately we weren't planning on boondocking so it was inconvenient but not a major problem.  In 14 years of use, this is the first real problem we've had -  can't really complain.

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#4 Melanim

Melanim
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 11:21 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe
  • Interests:Indoor toileting (i now have the deluxe, rather than standard). Anything outdoors. Folk music and music festivals. If i go fulltime, i may be upgrading to an Escape.
  • Trailer Name:TBD

Posted 19 April 2020 - 01:07 PM

Hi! I had this problem, as well. Upon closer inspection, the gasket  of the last elbow after it was removed was slightly discolored and uneven on one side, causing the leak.

So I decided to put in the water shut off valve prior to fixing that leak ( w city water disconnected) using a shark bite on/off water supply, per other's recommendations. 

Instead of replacing the leaky gasket at the last elbow with the same item, I switched it to a 1/2 inch flexible water supply connector that gave more length & flexibility at that joint, again using the  1/2 inch shark bite adaptor. The 1/2 inch water supply hose i used is usually reserved for the sink, but the hardware store did not have a toilet 1/2 flexible water supply (RV supplies might have that). I used plumbing tape on threads. My thetford replacement part remains unused. 

This is the finished pic before cleaning up. 297C0B3A-755C-402B-B556-61A5BBDD5A4F.jpeg

Edited by Melanim, 19 April 2020 - 07:37 PM.

• Beadfingers likes this

#5 Melanim

Melanim
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 11:21 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe
  • Interests:Indoor toileting (i now have the deluxe, rather than standard). Anything outdoors. Folk music and music festivals. If i go fulltime, i may be upgrading to an Escape.
  • Trailer Name:TBD

Posted 19 April 2020 - 01:16 PM

I caused this by placing things like chairs/charcoal/antifreeze behind the toilet when traveling...which  shifted around & applied pressure to the PEX  pipe.  BTW, it took fewer than 10 minutes putting this together once i had the parts.  I'll let ya'll know how my fix holds up.

OK, for those that know, why isn't a flexible supply line standard?  Is it contraindicated?  Is using a brass fitting on plastic acceptable practice?  

Edited by Melanim, 19 April 2020 - 07:40 PM.