• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,260 posts
  • Local time: 10:23 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 02 May 2019 - 12:49 PM

This is part of my plan to allow us to keep camping without having Jack dislocate his hip again, like he did last year.  I'm looking for ways to give us easy access to our storage areas - no extreme bending/twisting.  So I'm moving some items to the upper cabinets and improving access to things under the rear bench.

To that end I've been looking for a wheeled storage bin for the back of the aisle.  We have the LD and our twin bed mod includes a rear seat (25" deep) across the aisle, so I didn't want a container that was too deep.  I found wheeled storage at The Container Store and Home Depot.  First, I bought the cheaper one at HD but the wheels were a joke.  They didn't work if there was any weight AT ALL in the container.  So I got the The Container Store's version which I love.  There are 4 sizes, our is 21-3/8"d x 15-1/4"w x 11-1/8"h and holds 35 qts.  The cost is $35.

It only sticks out about 3" into the aisle (the photo makes it look like more).  But we plan to do the slant board mod which will add a few more inches of depth to that space.  And I think we will leave the lid off for easier access.

I think these containers would work very well for other models, where the bed is permanent and the side table is used.

For us, the small table goes across the aisle near the rear. So there's the good and bad, the table leg will keep the container from rolling down the aisle.  But the small table & leg will need to be removed to pull the container out.  Or we could just move the table nearer the sink.  We'll see what works best.

Container in Trailer.jpg     Container Wheels.jpg

Rolling Storage Plastic Tote

Edited by Carol Christensen, 02 May 2019 - 03:34 PM.

• Smokymtgirl03 likes this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#2 Smokymtgirl03

Smokymtgirl03
  • Casita Club Member
  • 56 posts
  • Local time: 02:23 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 Spirit Deluxe 17ft
  • Interests:Working on #2, a 1997 16 Ft Freedom Deluxe now that Annie is finished. Camping,Fly Fishing, Hiking, Paddling (Canoe and Kayak),Pretty much anything outside...
  • Trailer Name:Raggedy Annie and #2

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:24 PM

Hi Carol!

I use one of the rolling containers under the bed in Annie (17 ft SD).  I use a tension mount curtain rod to keep it in place for travel.  Works great-so far...

• Carol Christensen likes this

#3 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,260 posts
  • Local time: 10:23 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 03 May 2019 - 09:58 AM

Have you ever had a problem with overloading it so the wheels don't work?

• Smokymtgirl03 likes this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#4 Smokymtgirl03

Smokymtgirl03
  • Casita Club Member
  • 56 posts
  • Local time: 02:23 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 Spirit Deluxe 17ft
  • Interests:Working on #2, a 1997 16 Ft Freedom Deluxe now that Annie is finished. Camping,Fly Fishing, Hiking, Paddling (Canoe and Kayak),Pretty much anything outside...
  • Trailer Name:Raggedy Annie and #2

Posted 03 May 2019 - 05:08 PM

Not yet.  But I am kind of a pack rat, so the potential is there...  It is pretty much stuffed to the gills, now, with winter stuff- 2 coats, 2 blankets, a few wool sweaters, 2 dog sweater...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: storage, plastic, totes, wheeled