How Was Ordering A New Casita?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lane&Bette

Lane&Bette
  • Casita Club Member
  • 5 posts
  • Local time: 02:56 AM
  • Interests:Travel, hiking, food, beer, fly fishing, museums, canoeing.

Posted 12 March 2019 - 04:04 PM

We hope to be ordering a new Casita before the end of April. We have a date set with a local owner to tour his trailer next week. (Casita sent us his info) I am curious how people felt about the whole ordering process? Easy to do? Suggestions on preparing? Did the keep you updated as to the build process? When you went for pick-up was it pretty easy?  Thanks!

#2 cottons

cottons
  • Casita Club Member
  • 43 posts
  • Local time: 01:56 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Independence
  • Trailer Name:Trailer

Posted 12 March 2019 - 05:04 PM

I had no problems in 2014.Get what you want and don't worry about it,  

#3 Joe Romas

Joe Romas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 301 posts
  • Local time: 11:56 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD
  • Interests:Hobbies are machining, doing "mods" to my Casita, camping and keeping busy.

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:18 AM

I bought mine used and was fortunate that in what I found had all the options I wanted.

That said in the past there have been more than a few that were on the fence about getting this or that opton.

And used buyers seem to be asking questions like "how hard is it to install a furnace or where do you get the awning brackets?"

So as "cottons" says get what you want and don't worry about it.

Edited by Joe Romas, 13 March 2019 - 03:19 AM.

Joe and Mary Romas
Columbus, OH
1999 Casita 17' SD
2017 GMC Seirra

#4 Fireballsocal

Fireballsocal
  • Casita Club Member
  • 628 posts
  • Local time: 11:56 PM
  • Interests:Glamis, 4 wheeling, traveling.
  • Trailer Name:Jetpuft

Posted 13 March 2019 - 03:15 PM

I just picked mine up in Rice last Friday. The ordering process was easy. In my case, I made small changes within the first few days of the process. The salesman, Jonathan, was patient and accommodating. I wasn't kept in the loop with regards to build progress because I was able to purchase a trailer that was already on the assembly line and in process. I emailed back and forth several times concerning payment info, request for a hitch, etc. and my emails were returned within the day.

My only negative experience was setting a certain day and time for pickup, and the salesman making a mistake and putting it down for 10 days later. The trailer wasn't ready when I arrived at Rice and I waited for about 4 hours. I took possession of the trailer and boogied home.  

• Lane&Bette likes this

1996 17' LD Sold.
1996 Lance 11'4 truck camper. Sold

1999 Hi-lo 22' Towlight. Sold.

2009 Lance 1880 travel trailer. Sold.
2019 17' Freedom Dlx. On the assembly line.

#5 friz

friz
  • Casita Club Member
  • 741 posts
  • Local time: 12:56 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' LD

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:15 AM

Before you boogie home, spend 1 night in the area to make sure all defects and adjustments are right.  Waste as much of the service tech's time as you can, you may miss something if you hurry at the pick up.

We went to American RV, got one tank filled.  All was well.  There's a COE park west of town if you have to save money.  My only complaint was having to wait so long to get the Casita. 4 months of not being able to camp out.

Edited by friz, 19 March 2019 - 11:17 AM.

#6 schatzie

schatzie
  • Casita Club Member
  • 225 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17' SD

Posted 19 March 2019 - 12:15 PM

Bought our 2009 17SD new from Casita factory.  Ordering, deposit, and pickup all went smoothly.  I would definitely recommend the A/C, furnace, vynal flooring, and awning.  Not only will you most likely use all of these, but it greatly helps if and when you plan on selling it.  I would also highly recommend the sway bar.  We have had zero problems in our ten years of ownership and the staff at Casita has always treated us as family.  They are a great business to deal with.  I wish new car and truck dealerships were as easy to deal with as the folks at Casita. 

• NASA42 B and clairemr1 like this
Bob & Ginny Schattschneider
South Milwaukee, WI.
2009 Casita 17' SD
2004 Ford F-150 FX4

#7 brsedwebt

brsedwebt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 78 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:ID 17
  • Interests:camping, travel, ghost towns, light houses, covered bridges, kayaking, boating, antiques, old advertising...
  • Trailer Name:Cozy-Casa

Posted 19 March 2019 - 04:27 PM

Ordered a new 17' ID in 2015 - Easy and fair. I would do it again if needed. Pick your options carefully - I would skip the cable ready, antenna, furnace, TV & microwave. Get vinyl & high rise axle. Install your own TV by having Casita install their TV mount for $20. You get a much bigger/better TV with DVD player combo for $125 at BestBuy and it has 12V too! Get the small $50 microwave from WalMart and it gives you WAY more room in the cabinet. Get a TriQuest HDTV non-powered TV antenna for $10 from BigLots - works great and only .5 inch tall and 12 inches square. 

Cozy-Casa    Visualize whirled peas

#8 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,353 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 19 March 2019 - 05:26 PM

i have to disagree regarding the furnace. GET THE FURNACE! it's incredibly comfortable, reliable, safe. i've enjoyed/used mine immensely. i even use it when i have electric hookups in extremely cold weather when my area electric heater just can't keep up. i would never buy another rv without a propane furnace.

• cottons likes this

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#9 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,221 posts
  • Local time: 12:56 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 19 March 2019 - 06:54 PM

I agree on GET THE FURNACE.  Nothing more pleasant as a quick shot of warm air before getting up on a cold morning.  Also the vinyl floor - I raised a glass of wine on my first overnight after picking up my new Casita.  Clumsy, I dropped the mostly full glass on the floor.  Would have been a disaster with the new carpet, but merely a mop-up with the vinyl.  Also, high axle and 15"wheels, allows for more load capability and thus safety.

My experience with Casita personnel when picking up my 17SD in March, 2003, was excellent.  Very helpful all around. 

Dutchman

• JerryC and clairemr1 like this

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#10 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,790 posts
  • Local time: 10:56 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted Yesterday, 02:07 PM

Ditto...get the furnace. One, even in the desert, it gets cold at night. I see you're in NH. I've never been there, but I bet it gets cold at night, even in high summer.

I bet if you ask your better half, she'll want the furnace. We camping ladies like a warm Casita before we get our back ends out of bed in the morning.

Get the high axle, 15" tires, vinyl, awning, AC, etc. Like someone else said, it makes for a better resale.

Your propane tanks will be empty when you pick your egg up. Casita will not fill them. They will send you to a nearby propane place. Make sure they 'purge' the tanks before filling them.

Also.......go through ALL the manuals, literature and such you will be given at the factory. Maybe things have changed from when we picked up our 2011, but Dometic refrigerator gives you only TEN days...not working days, 10 TOTAL , to mail in the warranty card WITH a copy of the invoice and sales slip. If you're late, they won't honor the warranty.  That restriction is in teenytiny lawyer font, (purposefully,I'm certain),  so read the whole thing and send in their warranty card.

So pull all those blow in warranty cards and send them in ASAP.

• clairemr1 likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#11 brsedwebt

brsedwebt
  • Casita Club Member
  • 78 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:ID 17
  • Interests:camping, travel, ghost towns, light houses, covered bridges, kayaking, boating, antiques, old advertising...
  • Trailer Name:Cozy-Casa

Posted Yesterday, 02:59 PM

I will defend my decision to skip the propane furnace although this may not be your choice - it is - after all - YOUR trailer. I do not buy for resale - I buy for ME to enjoy the way I want - price is not a high consideration within reason. It should be known that I did ask Casita about this SHOULD I ever want to have a furnace installed and all Casitas are wired and plumbed the same and it is an easy job install one if needed later on. I had a propane furnace in my last small RV - turned it on and 30 seconds later had to turn it off as it was way too hot on low. Never used it again in several years, 100K miles. 48 states and 7 provinces of camping. We ordered the Casita in 2015, camp 70 days a year in over 35 states and Canadian provinces in all months of the year and have NEVER wanted it. We use a small cube ceramic heater that was $10 from WalMart - it is plenty warm and stores quite nicely in the space taken up by that monstrosity. There is also a heat strip in the roof unit that works very well. The cabinet space is much more valuable to us. Camping style is a major consideration. We DO boondock but not all the time. Even when we do boondock we have never missed it. YMMV.

Cozy-Casa    Visualize whirled peas