KyleDixon
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 08:59 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 17'
  • Interests:Camping, Sewing, Gardening

Posted 17 February 2019 - 10:57 AM

Hello Everyone, 

New member here. My husband and I purchased a used Freedom Deluxe (1998) in pristine condition a couple of years ago. Bathroom and stove never used - was owned by a salesman who only slept in it occasionally. We are fixing it up, and currently trying to figure out a good way to make better use of the closet.  We are retired, from Yakima WA and love traveling in the southwest.  Our favorite places to visit are Cedar Mesa and Comb Ridge, UT. Also love the Valley of Fire area of NV. Like to boondock. I used to be an editor but now enjoy traveling, sewing on the road, and hiking with our adorable Boykin Spaniel, Annie. Replaced blinds in our Casita first thing - did not like those blinds - and now have a site on Etsy making blackout curtains and other matching items for Casitas. Hoping to get some ideas here for remodeling the closet.  Air conditioner is in the lower part, so no room there (but we love the air conditioner down there!) Very few Casitas in our area but we're always trying to spot one on the road! See you all out there! 

• NASA42 B and Smokymtgirl03 like this

#2 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 505 posts
  • Local time: 12:59 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:45 AM

KyleDixon......

So......a belated "welcome!" to this Casita clan.  It sounds as though you're well on your way in working your way through the mods you want to make your fiberglass magic carpet fully your own.   

Though I share your regard for some of the areas you mentioned,  don't forget to include all the US in your travel plans.  As I've told others, to have an RV is to have a self-renewing bucket list.....there's always somewhere new you want to visit!

Hope to meet you somewhere down the road.

Frank   :rolleyes:

• Smokymtgirl03 and KyleDixon like this

#3 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,100 posts
  • Local time: 09:59 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 17 February 2019 - 01:50 PM

Kyle,

Welcome from some more Washingtonians, (albeit, from the "wet" side of the state.) There are actually quite a number of Casita owners here in WA, and we even have a few annual trailer "get-together" events. There are also several more "get-together" gatherings in Oregon as well, so you'll find lots of "fiberglass" company here in the PNW who also share common interests.

I'm not sure what exactly you might be looking to do with your closet, such as adding shelves or other various additional storage capabilities, or perhaps other projects, but I'll include a few of my trailer closet mods just to give you some ideas anyway.

Since you have the closet mounted A/C unit, some of these may not be applicable, but its just food for thought. I added a floor inside the closet at the level of the bottom edge of the closet door, and cut a new access hole below to create another locker, added shelving, and an additional electrical outlet up near the top, (since I had to relocate the lower one over to the left side in order to put in my new lower hatch,) which my wife finds handy for plugging in her hair toys while using the large mirror on the bathroom door. We also sewed up some compartmentalized hanging what-not holders for the inside of the closet door, since you are a sewer, you may like this addition.

closet1.JPG  newlocker.jpg  newlockerdoor.jpg  casita1 002 (Medium).JPG  closet3.JPG  

• NASA42 B, Smokymtgirl03 and KyleDixon like this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#4 Smokymtgirl03

Smokymtgirl03
  • Casita Club Member
  • 56 posts
  • Local time: 12:59 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2000 Spirit Deluxe 17ft
  • Interests:Working on #2, a 1997 16 Ft Freedom Deluxe now that Annie is finished. Camping,Fly Fishing, Hiking, Paddling (Canoe and Kayak),Pretty much anything outside...
  • Trailer Name:Raggedy Annie and #2

Posted 17 February 2019 - 04:06 PM

Welcome!  This is a great place to get ideas,  I am an idea thief, and I stole Euphoria's idea for the small drawer below the closet door.  Inside the closet, I swiped another idea and put shelves up in the right side of the closet.   Please excuse the photo orientation.  I have no idea what happens, or how to correct it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20190107_112319.jpg

• KyleDixon likes this

#5 KyleDixon

KyleDixon
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 08:59 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 17'
  • Interests:Camping, Sewing, Gardening

Posted 17 February 2019 - 08:25 PM

Thanks everyone!  I do love the photos Euporia - and you are from Washington! I think I am going to do a similar hanging project for the back of the door.  And probably for similar hair and personal care items too.  Do love the outlet idea too. Our idea for the closet is somehow utilizing the space, putting shelves on the right, and leaving a small area on the left for hanging a couple or 3 coats/sweaters.  Probably a spot underneath for shoes.  I feel like I'm using up the small cubbies in the main trailer with clothes that could more easily be put onto shelves in clear boxes.  Saw somewhere (I think on this site) where someone used white wire coated shelving, cut to fit and we're now considering that.  Thanks again everyone!

• Smokymtgirl03 likes this

#6 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,010 posts
  • Local time: 09:59 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 19 February 2019 - 10:04 AM

Welcome to the forum and to Casita paradise. We haven't done anyhting to our closet but I understand the need for some.  We pull with a full size truck...lots of room for bins in the back of the truck.  Hve fun with that trailer....best out there!  Safe travels....lots to see over here along the Pacific coast.     

• KyleDixon likes this