7 replies to this topic

#1 Zimm

Zimm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 110 posts
  • Local time: 06:33 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Deluxe Bunks

Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:10 PM

Anyone use a keypad lock?  I wonder if this will fit?

http://www.bauerprod...oduct/bauer-ne/

Come visit us:  

http://thehandycamperco.com

#2 Mark P

Mark P
  • Casita Club Member
  • 73 posts
  • Local time: 03:33 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' 2007 FD

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:48 AM

What is the benefit here?  It looks to me like anyone with a key (or lock-pick) could still get in, no different than the door lock(s) you have now.  So there is no security advantage.

Maybe if you lost your keys the Bauer Product could be an alternative way to unlock the Casita.  Of course, Murphy's Law would assure the penlight batteries would probably be dead by the time you ever did need to "break-in" to your own Casita.  It seems to me a little $3 magnetic hide-a-key box is a more efficient lost keys solution than $210 gee-wiz fluff that may or may not work.

I suppose tapping 1-1-1-1 on the keypad is more convenient than fumbling for keys.  But $210 worth?  And when those batteries die, you'll be groping around under the frame for wherever it was you attached that magnetic hide-a-key box.  :) 

Mark and Ann
2007 17' FD
2017 Ram Laramie 1500

#3 Zimm

Zimm
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:51 AM

I have two little kids that cant carry keys. I want them to have access. Ill keep a key in the truck in case the batteries die. We have keypads on our house and garage and use them daily.

Edited by Zimm, 08 February 2019 - 10:52 AM.

• Jim&Clare likes this

Come visit us:  

#4 Mark P

Mark P
  • Casita Club Member
  • 73 posts
  • Local time: 03:33 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:17' 2007 FD

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:57 AM

I have two little kids that cant carry keys. I want them to have access. Ill keep a key in the truck in case the batteries die. We have keypads on our house and garage and use them daily.

Then, THAT does make sense!

Mark and Ann
2007 17' FD
2017 Ram Laramie 1500

#5 Zimm

Zimm
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 110 posts

Posted 08 February 2019 - 01:38 PM

Well I ordered it up last night.  I'll report back if it fits and how it works.

• Barb Dwyer likes this

Come visit us:  

#6 Coastie6

Coastie6
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 05:33 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Currently Shopping

Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:21 PM

Anyone use a keypad lock?  I wonder if this will fit?

http://www.bauerprod...oduct/bauer-ne/

Zimm, Had one on our last camper. VERY convenient for the reasons you're wanting it. I too wondered if it would fit our new Casita. I'll be waiting for your update.

USCG, Disabled Veteran

#7 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 532 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:16 PM

If you spend your entire life worrying about what might happen, you are never free. Zimm, I say grab the horn of adventure and give it a good strong yank. There has got to be pride in trying. The worst that can happen is that it doesn't fit, and I am sure you can return it, so you may be out a few bucks for postage. No harm, no foul. And if it does fit, then you have found a nice solution to a problem. Keep us posted on your results.

The last time we were out, we pulled into a small town in Arkansas and pulled over to use the bathroom. I could not for the life of me get the key to unlock the latch on the Casita door. We had to ditch that plan and head on to the campground. I wasn't exactly sure what "plan B" was if we couldn't get the door open. I finally figured out the door wasn't completely closed so there was just enough pressure on the locking mechanism to keep it from opening. Moral of the story, I still continue to lock the door rather than fear that the mechanism may not function properly. If it doesn't, I will figure out the solution when the time comes. Best of luck Zimm!

Toddy

#8 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,388 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 11 February 2019 - 06:50 AM

If you spend your entire life worrying about what might happen, you are never free. Zimm, I say grab the horn of adventure and give it a good strong yank. There has got to be pride in trying. The worst that can happen is that it doesn't fit, and I am sure you can return it, so you may be out a few bucks for postage. No harm, no foul. And if it does fit, then you have found a nice solution to a problem. Keep us posted on your results.

Toddy

I don't think Zimm is unfamiliar with "grabbing the horn of adventure" ..............just guessing...............he is a retired Naval Helicopter Pilot................my ex was a Cobra pilot in Vietnam and trained pilots for two decades after the war.............his "every day" activities would often be classified as beyond the horn of adventure by most folks measurements............. LOL! !!   ;-)

• NASA42 B likes this

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)