• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bowlieweekender

Bowlieweekender
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 05:36 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Freedom Deluxe 17'
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Foreign Food, IPA, Gin & Laughter. I volunteer with the local Sheriff's office Search & Rescue. I also read to kids at school as part of the SMART program. I also track at risk people through Project Lifesaver.
  • Trailer Name:Bowlie

Posted 24 December 2018 - 04:02 PM

Today I took delivery of my first Casita, a 2015 17 Spirit Deluxe.  Everything appears to work, after the RV dealer demonstrated everything, he winterised it for me with compressed air and RV antifreeze.

Drove it three miles to the girlfriends house using my 4Runner.  Didn't seem to put any strain on the engine at all though it did seem a bit bouncy in the back, filling the water tank and cupboards might help dampen things, maybe?

They only had half the friction sway arm setup which they gave me.  The tongue has the small ball and they provided a friction arm that fit it.  Now I need to see if stores sell just the trailer hitch with the small sway arm ball attached.

The dealer couldn't locate the blue folder, so it came with zero paperwork, I know much of that is online but there are a few early mysteries.

1. How can I tell if the Hepvo valve modification has already been installed at the factory or aftermarket?

2. What does the metal lifter mechanism in the closet actually do and should I have it in the up or down position?

3. Why are the main outside running lights LED but all the internal lights are incandescent? 

4. Can I get a daylight LEDs via Amazon?

5. The dealer laid the anode inside the enclosure which means I have to re-install it before use, but I'm sure I don't have a wrench that big.  Again, is that a standard Amazon part?

6. What's the best Brake Assist make/model for my new Casita?

Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers Nigel

#2 Fireballsocal

Fireballsocal
  • Casita Club Member
  • 637 posts
  • Interests:Glamis, 4 wheeling, traveling.
  • Trailer Name:Jetpuft

Posted 24 December 2018 - 10:24 PM

Hi Nigel and Merry Christmas from California.

#2: This opens and closes the valve to allow your shower to drain into the grey water tank. When it is closed, your shower will fill up quite fast and you will be standing in a puddle. Close it for travel, open it for showers.

#3 No idea.

#4  Yes, you can get replacement LED bulbs in various temperatures on ebay. Use our search function to find what people like or dislike.

$5  Not only amazon but most auto parts stores will have a socket that will fit. A bit of antiseaze on the threads helps when it's time to remove it again.  Again, the search function will show you posts that give the wrench size.

#6  I've had really good luck with the tekonsha prodigy brake controllers. I've used a II and a III with seemingly no difference in performance.

• NASA42 B and Bowlieweekender like this

1996 17' LD Sold.
1996 Lance 11'4 truck camper. Sold

1999 Hi-lo 22' Towlight. Sold.

2009 Lance 1880 travel trailer. Sold.
2019 17' Freedom Dlx. On the assembly line.

#3 Bowlieweekender

Bowlieweekender
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Music, Movies, Foreign Food, IPA, Gin & Laughter. I volunteer with the local Sheriff's office Search & Rescue. I also read to kids at school as part of the SMART program. I also track at risk people through Project Lifesaver.

Posted 25 December 2018 - 07:27 AM

Merry Christmas right back atcha and thanks for the reply

I found the correct socket on Amazon if anyone is interested: https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OK, a Tekonsha Prodigy it will be then!

And I'll search for bulbs right now.

Have a great day

Cheers Nigel

#4 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,007 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 26 December 2018 - 09:55 PM

Welcome to the club and enjoy that Casita....best little trailer out there.  Lots of great places in Oregon and Washington to visit...should be fun.  Safe travels. 

• Bowlieweekender likes this

#5 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 504 posts
  • Local time: 08:36 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 27 December 2018 - 02:28 AM

Bowlie.......

Welcome to the Casita clan!  Many happy weekends and trips ahead.    Hope to meet you somewhere down the road.

Frank   :rolleyes:

• Bowlieweekender likes this

#6 Zimm

Zimm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 139 posts
  • Local time: 08:36 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Deluxe Bunks

Posted 27 December 2018 - 05:13 AM

Congrats!  You can download the Casita owner's manual here:  http://www.casitaclu...-owners-manual/

Lots of good information.

If you want to deep dive into more, I recommend the A-Z Casita guide.  It's $30 but has a lot of great info for new owners.  http://www.lovemycasita.com/Guide.html

You don't have the hepvo shower valve if you have the handle in your closet.  You have to lift that handle for the shower to drain.  Close it before traveling so gray water doesn't slosh into the shower.  Although the tank should be empty when trailering anyways.

I have some articles on my site that can help you out.  I recommend reading my "tips" page, the preflight checklist, and the article on clear/gray/black water.

Any 1 1/16" socket will work on the anode.  Make sure to use some teflon tape or pipe dope on the threads when inserting it.  Also, if you have the electric heating element on the water heater, make absolutely sure the water heater is full of water before flipping the breaker on or you'll burn out the heating element.

Come visit us:  

http://thehandycamper.com

#7 Bowlieweekender

Bowlieweekender
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 08:34 AM

I appreciate the great advice

So the presence of the T handle in the closet mean I don't have the Hepvo valve, ok I'll order today.

Will buy a new roll of Teflon plumbers tape!

I'll check out http://thehandycamperco.com shortly.

Cheers Nigel

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Casita, Newbie, Spirit