7 replies to this topic

#1 bekahc

bekahc
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Local time: 04:51 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot Deluxe/13

Posted 19 November 2018 - 01:23 PM

We bought a used 2006 Casita Patriot Deluxe this summer - much sooner than we had anticipated. We knew we had to act quickly and purchased it before we even had our tow vehicle in possession. Thank goodness for a good friend who came with us to inspect it a final time and tow it to its new home. 

We are slowly getting it ready for use in our "free time" and familiarizing ourselves with the trailer as it's our first. We just bought new tires and had them balanced and installed. We need to get some other things fixed (or figured out) before taking it out (e.g., why the solar isn't charging the battery, tank seal issues, and so on). We plan to spend our time dry camping/boondocking and not use hookups. We are used to tent camping in remote areas on BLM land and national forests, so the Casita will be luxurious. Also, feeling comfortable backing up the tiny trailer is going to take some practice and time, but we knew this before we bought it.

Looking forward to learning from the expertise on this forum!

• clairemr1 likes this

#2 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,423 posts
  • Local time: 06:51 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 19 November 2018 - 03:19 PM

congratulations on your purchase! here's wishing you many safe, enjoyable years of travel with it. btw, i love love love mine, it's taken me to places and people that have truly enriched my life. i'm so excited for you!

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#3 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,011 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 19 November 2018 - 08:08 PM

Congrats....you will love that little trailer.  Casita's are great...best thing...everytime you look at it...you will smile.  Safe travels...have fun.

#4 bekahc

bekahc
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:Patriot Deluxe/13

Posted 20 November 2018 - 12:40 PM

Thanks for the kind words!

We have already dealt with random people leaving notes on the trailer and coming to our door wanting to buy it. We've dealt with that so much that for a while I had a "NOT FOR SALE" sign on it. That part we don't much like, but we do look out our window and smile when we see it. 

• NASA42 B and clairemr1 like this

#5 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,423 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 20 November 2018 - 03:41 PM

totally can relate. on my first camping outing an elderly man and wife offered me more than i had paid for it. have been approached several times asking if i want to sell. feel like i hit the jackpot with it, am enjoying it immensely, don't foresee selling it

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#6 Zimm

Zimm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 139 posts
  • Local time: 07:51 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Deluxe Bunks

Posted 20 November 2018 - 04:53 PM

Congrats!  What kind of "tank seal issues" do you have?  We love to help out our fellow Casita owners.  It's like a free support group!

Come visit us:  

http://thehandycamper.com

#7 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,420 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 20 November 2018 - 09:02 PM

new pole needs to be started

who hasn't been offered much more $$ for their Casita than what they paid for it???

I use to find used & abused Casitas of every size and configuration to "rehab" for a fiend in Indiana then he got me started in Texas. The longest it took to sell a used Casita that had been properly restored and ready to "roll" was  2 weeks. That was between Thanksgiving & Christmas when most were looking for "Black Friday" deals in the retail world. The folks that bought that specific Casita bought it "sight unseen" from Mobile, Alabama. 

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#8 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 580 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 22 November 2018 - 05:04 PM

Congratulations on your new toy! It took me way longer than I care to admit to figure this out, but the key to backing a short frame trailer like ours is to 1) take the time to get your tow vehicle and trailer in a straight line. 2) make micro-adjustments when backing. I point the back of the front tires in the direction that I want the trailer to go, and then make MICRO-adjustments while backing. Best of luck!

Toddy