Photo

Water Heater/bench Over It Is Warm To Touch/normal?

Water heater

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crewsagain

crewsagain
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1 posts
  • Local time: 10:20 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:SD 17'

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:50 AM

The bench over the water heater in my 2000 SD 17 is very warm to the touch. Is this normal? Should I not leave my pilot light lite all the time? I can feel the heat through the memory foam mattress that is over it.

#2 Zimm

Zimm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 90 posts
  • Local time: 11:20 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Deluxe Bunks

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:21 AM

Yikes.  Open the access hatch under the bed and "carefully" feel around.  Is the heat from the water heater or the converter/electrical panel?  The water heater is insulated and you shouldn't be be getting enough heat to feel outside the mattress.  The pilot light is more towards the outside panel.

Come visit us:  

http://thehandycamperco.com

#3 Beetlefreak

Beetlefreak
  • Casita Club Member
  • 128 posts
  • Local time: 11:20 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 Liberty
  • Interests:Finding a good adventure

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:53 PM

I replaced my old manual light water heater with a new Suburban SW6DE unit.  Fortunately I checked operation before re-installing the fiberglass bench.  I noticed the metal flange between the water heater and the trailer got pretty hot.  I installed heat resistant insulation around the flange to prevent the situation that you are describing.

So much fun - So little time
Beetlefreak.com

#4 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,129 posts
  • Local time: 08:20 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 12 October 2018 - 04:29 PM

No, it's not normal for the water heater to run that hot.  Our first Casita was a 1999, so probably the same as your 2000, our water heater never ran that hot.

Is this Casita new-to-you?  If so, perhaps the routine maintenance for the WH has been neglected resulting in a build-up of sediments.  Just in case you are not aware of this, there is a plug at the bottom of the WH that can be removed to drain the tank and flush it out.  Attached to the plug is an anode rod designed to protect the WH interior from corrosion.  The anode gets eaten away and needs to be checked annually and replaced when necessary (we replace ours every year or two).  If you haven't done this before, make sure the water has cooled, the pump is off, and be prepared for a gush of water.  The bolt may be very hard to get off.  There are lots of helpful hints on how to do that but I forget what exactly has been successful.

• clairemr1 likes this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#5 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 570 posts
  • Local time: 10:20 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 14 October 2018 - 06:53 PM

I've started pulling up the street side of the foam mattress and pulling up the bench access cover, and propping up the mattress with the removed cover. This allows the hot air trapped in the area behind the power center to escape. The power center cooling fan runs less often when I do this, and the mattress and pillows are definately cooler now.

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Water heater