#1 DougC-3

DougC-3
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts
  • Local time: 09:32 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe 16 Ft 2001
  • Trailer Name:Tiny Diny from Highway 90

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:56 PM

Hi, all.  I joined the forum several months ago but I think this may be my first post.  We've had our 16 ft  2001 Spirit Deluxe over 6 months and have had no trouble with the battery, an Everstart Maxx-29 Marine. When unused, it holds its charge at over 12 volts for months without charging.  Today, when I was trying to disconnect the 4 or 5 wires from the bolt-type part of the dual + terminal so I could install a 7 wire junction box, I found that the nut was jammed on, either cross threaded or possibly with the wrong type threads.  By the time I had the nut about 1/3 off, I realized that the bolt was turning as well and was unable to get the nut the rest of the way off.  I tried prying it up with a screwdriver while unscrewing, but that didn't help much.

I would appreciate any suggestions about how to finish removing the nut (there's no room to grasp the part under the wire connectors).  Also, even though the battery has a small round sticker with 3/11 on it, it is very clean and new looking. It's hard to believe it was bought back in 2011 (will look through papers from seller for possible receipt). Another question:  Is the battery ruined because of the spinning bolt, assuming that it can be refitted with a new nut? Also assuming that it makes good electrical contact and doesn't leak acid.  The rest of the dual terminal looks fine. If it is ruined, I might be able to saw off the nut without ruining the wire connectors.  Thanks for reading!

PS:  If I have to replace this battery, which doesn't seem to be available anymore, what would be a good substitute?

Edited by DougC-3, 07 October 2018 - 11:06 PM.

#2 Euphoria

Euphoria
  • Casita Club Member
  • 983 posts
  • Local time: 07:32 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 17'SD
  • Casita Club Directory #:2754

Posted 08 October 2018 - 06:56 AM

Get yourself one of these nut splitters. And I would suggest not prying on the battery terminals, lest you should crack the plastic battery case. If you do, you're looking at a new battery. Be sure to chase the threads before installing a new nut on it. I don't know the extent of the damage to the threads, but I'm sure there must be some. Be sure to support the nut splitter from twisting with another wrench while you are tightening down the cutter head on the nut so that you don't exert any twisting force to the terminal or the screw in question. 

Also, since your battery was "born on" 3/11, I'd say that it is fast approaching the end of its service life, being seven years old now. Generally, if you get a good 5 years from a battery, you're doing good, so you've already gotten more out of it than average.

https://www.autozone...-splitting-tool

Edited by Euphoria, 08 October 2018 - 07:08 AM.

• DougC-3 likes this

"If I have seen a little further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants."

Sir Isaac Newton

Greg & Brenda

2008 17' Casita Spirit Super Dooper Deluxe

2016 Chevy Silverado, Crew Cab 5.8L V-8, 4X4

2004 Nissan Frontier, Crew Cab, V-6 2WD

Casita Club # 2754

#3 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,718 posts
  • Local time: 06:32 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 08 October 2018 - 10:03 AM

I tend to agree with Euphoria. Despite the appearance of the battery, I would bet that it's at the end of it's life. It might not be worth trying to fix a problem with the battery that is 7 years old.

We use the Interstate Group 27 deep cycle battery and are happy with it's performance.

If you plan on putting your Casita into drydock for the winter, you may want to consider pulling the battery out and putting it on a trickle charger for the winter.

• DougC-3 likes this

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#4 DougC-3

DougC-3
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:35 PM

Thanks very much for the help, Euphoria and Meadowlark.  I used the OEMTOOLS nut splitter from Autozone and it worked, though sacrificing its edge.  The nut was very tough and hard to cut -- some sort of stainless steel.  The splitter does have a lifetime guarantee.  I agree that replacing the battery is the thing to do, and the  Interstate Group 27 deep cycle battery sounds like a worry-free way to go.  I'm going to search for one tonight and possibly get it tomorrow.

#5 DougC-3

DougC-3
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:36 PM

Just checked and found the Interstate Group 27 deep cycle for over $300 including tax.  That is more than I expected.  Are there any roughly equivalent choices for a lower price... best runner up maybe? :)

Edited by DougC-3, 08 October 2018 - 07:01 PM.

#6 DougC-3

DougC-3
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 07:04 PM

(Please excuse the three posts in a row, but I was concerned that if I just edited the above post, someone might have already read it and miss the edit.) As suggested in another forum, I've decided to go with a wet cell deep cycle battery, but I'm new to these and having trouble picking one out.  Are all of these classed as marine or RV batteries?  The RV batteries seem to feature starting amps, which our Casita doesn't need.  I've had good luck with Interstate brand before.  Any suggestions?  (Thanks for reading.)

#7 NASA42 B

NASA42 B
  • Casita Club Member
  • 441 posts
  • Local time: 10:32 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Liberty 17 Deluxe
  • Interests:Family, Reading, RVing, History, some community service, and my rescue cat named "Alley" at home...
  • Trailer Name:NASA42 - B

Posted 09 October 2018 - 01:32 AM

Doug......

The Marine/Deep Cycle batteries  (now also sometimes titled as RV batteries) tend to last much longer and provide more reserve power for the type of use most trailers experience.   For those who spend much time boondocking, the reserve power is of critical importance.   For those such as myself (largely a campground crawler who usually has hookups).....the extreme reserves are of less importance. 

I tend to plan for about 3 years ahead,  and find that buying "good enough" as opposed to "the best"  still provides satisfactory experience... and with the cost containment....resources for far more time on the road.

Just replaced my dead-cell Interstate Group 27 (2016 manufacture) with a Group 27 Deka Marine battery  from Lowes (have to order it in) for less than $120, and am pleased thus far with the performance.

Frank   :rolleyes:

• DougC-3 likes this

#8 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 504 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 09 October 2018 - 02:01 AM

I agree with Frank above. Given the expected lifespan of a battery is 3-5 years (especially in our Texas heat), I would choose a good quality battery that will last just that over the most expensive that will most likely last the same amount of time. Go to a tire/battery shop and ask an expert. Tell them what your needs are and pick the most economical option from their recommendations. Best of luck!

Toddy
  • DougC-3 likes this

#9 DougC-3

DougC-3
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:34 AM

Thanks so much for the help!!  We may not have time to order the Deka from Lowes, but I've found an Interstate SRM27 locally for $122 with trade-in.  I've had good luck with Interstate car batteries, and hope this one will do the job.

#10 DougC-3

DougC-3
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 08:40 PM

When I went to pick up the Interstate Group 27, the dealer at the privately owned auto parts store informed me that he had the Deka DC27 "Heavy-Duty Marine Master, Marine and RV Power" battery for $124.  I had no idea it was available locally. I assume this is the one I was originally looking for. He said it had considerably more lasting power for travel trailer use than the Interstate with, I think, more emphasis on reserve power rather than starting amps.  It had the nut torque printed on the envelope they were in, only 120 inch pounds! No doubt whoever installed the battery for the previous owner gave it a little more torque in an effort to make good contact with the 4 or 5 connectors on the plus terminal. I'll have to be very careful about that. Thanks again for solving my battery dilemma so quickly  :)

Edited by DougC-3, 09 October 2018 - 08:42 PM.

• NASA42 B likes this