8 replies to this topic

#1 PatrickW

PatrickW
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Local time: 11:59 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2018 Spirit 17

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:23 AM

Picked up our new Casita from the factory yesterday.  Arrived at 7:30am.  One couple was already there, and another couple arrived shortly after we did, with a 4th pickup arriving a couple hours later.

Was interesting, and fun.  Casita techs installed a new Brake Controller, as the one that I'd brought was non-functional out of the box.

Did the factory tour - fascinating.

New intel:  Casita is going to build another factory, and will have a 22' model coming out in 5 years or so.  They have already bought the land.

The trip home:  the Casita pulls very well, and brakes very well.  Mileage with our Jeep Grand Cherokee (with the 360hp "hemi" engine) was an average of 13.3 mpg at 65-70 mph, which is a full 3mpg better than when we pulled an Rpod, but still a bit less than I'd hoped.

About 50 miles away from the factory we hit some tire debris on the road.  There was traffic all around, and we had nowhere to go.  It hit hard, and I looked underneath the Casita and didn't see any damage.  There is a lot of exposed lines & pipes under the trailer, and it's obviously a matter of time before some of that stuff gets ripped out or broken by road debris.  Clearly some sort of protection needs to be devised...

Got the Casita put away when we got home.  Wife & I were checking it out, and layed down on the bed (with our dog), and all 3 of us fell asleep for about an hour.

We're going to enjoy this Casita!

- Pat

#2 Jim&Clare

Jim&Clare
  • Casita Club Member
  • 151 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 Bigfoot 17
  • Interests:Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:39 AM

....Mileage with our Jeep Grand Cherokee (with the 360hp "hemi" engine) was an average of 13.3 mpg at 65-70 mph,.....

- Pat

Pat, 

What tires are they putting on now?

Welcome to the cult.

Jim

Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Happily running around in a 2002 Bigfoot 17

Where is Jim now?

#3 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,435 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 28 September 2018 - 02:10 PM

OMW sells a sewer guard 469-312-1222. congrats on your purchase, safe travels.......

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#4 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,447 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 28 September 2018 - 02:34 PM

New intel:  Casita is going to build another factory, and will have a 22' model coming out in 5 years or so.  They have already bought the land.

Usually when someone brings up that Casita is going to build a bigger Casita, it starts a firestorm on the forum, especially "the other one"- The comments range from glee & joy as some would like something a little bigger to bring the grand kids along or others howling "blasphemy & lies" saying this is not going to happen. Casita is slow to change on any modifications or upgrades and some have not been well thought out. If they are truly going to make a larger model I hope they get a lot of input from people that actually camp a lot. 

Welcome to the club.

've looked at a friend's R-Pod and I thought the quality was lacking in many areas. I think you'll love your Casita

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)

#5 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 582 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 28 September 2018 - 05:07 PM

.... " New intel:  Casita is going to build another factory, and will have a 22' model coming out in 5 years or so.  They have already bought the land. " ....

Question who was the source of this information?

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD

#6 PatrickW

PatrickW
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 7 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2018 Spirit 17

Posted 29 September 2018 - 06:42 AM

Tires are Goodyear Endurance trailer tires. ST205/75R15. I am not familiar with tire nomenclature, and I double checked the number and it indeed says "R15", but a tape measure confirms it's 16" across the steel rim.

The person who told us about the new factory and the future 22' model was the Casita employee who took us into the factory area. I don't want to give his/her name just in case they were not supposed to say anything. I'm just passing along the comment as I figured people here would be interested...

#7 Jim&Clare

Jim&Clare
  • Casita Club Member
  • 151 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2002 Bigfoot 17
  • Interests:Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Posted 29 September 2018 - 07:04 AM

Tires are Goodyear Endurance trailer tires. ST205/75R15. I am not familiar with tire nomenclature, and I double checked the number and it indeed says "R15", but a tape measure confirms it's 16" across the steel rim.

The person who told us about the new factory and the future 22' model was the Casita employee who took us into the factory area. I don't want to give his/her name just in case they were not supposed to say anything. I'm just passing along the comment as I figured people here would be interested...

Thanks for the tires info.

On the land question it is not difficult to find out how much land "Casita Enterprises" pays tax on.  It public record....

They have plenty of land.

Retired from Orbital Machine Works

Happily running around in a 2002 Bigfoot 17

Where is Jim now?

#8 Zimm

Zimm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 140 posts
  • Local time: 12:59 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Deluxe Bunks

Posted 29 September 2018 - 01:53 PM

Congrats on the new toy!  I wouldn't worry too much about road debris ripping off stuff.  Your new model has the updated shower drain (no P-trap hanging down).  Yes there's the sewer guard, but in the unlikely event the sewer drain takes a hit, it's mostly cheap ABS plumbing you can get from the hardware store and replace.

We have some helpful articles on our website if you want to check them out.

Greg

Come visit us:  

http://thehandycamper.com

#9 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,048 posts
  • Local time: 09:59 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 05 October 2018 - 09:47 AM

Welcome and congrats.  We have a 2011 Casita....love it...and have pulled it thousands of miles over the years....never have worried about the exposed plumbing under the trailer....never had a problem.  I set my cruise control at 62mph when driving major highways....we avoid major highways as much as possible and enjoy seeing the country on two lane roads.  If you have the time....slow up....enjoy the sights and you might see a small gas mileage improvement.  Have fun and safe travels.