• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#16 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts
  • Local time: 04:33 AM
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:04 PM

I've scrutinized the gaskets and hoses.  Can't find a crack anywhere.  Pullin' my hair out hasn't seemed to work either!  :blink: 

Chris
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe pulled with a White 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS.

Visit My Website

#17 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 20 September 2018 - 12:46 PM

I'm wondering if the fuel pump is pumping fuel fast enough .  When I disconnect the fuel hose from the carb and turn on the run switch, there is only a slow stream of fuel.  I would think it should be faster.  Is there any way to verify the proper volume of fuel flow from the pump?

Chris

Visit My Website

#18 Brian W

Brian W
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 02:33 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 SD 17'

Posted 20 September 2018 - 01:16 PM

I don't know about fuel volume and the manual probably doesn't say. I'd take it to a shop. Let us know what happens

#19 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 01:42 PM

I'm afraid it'll just have to set it in the corner, Brian.  Don't have the funds to take it to a "shark" to get it running.  Not a small engine shop anywhere around me I can trust enough to just say "FIX IT".

Edited by Chris C, 20 September 2018 - 03:00 PM.

Chris

Visit My Website

#20 bankhead2

bankhead2
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 03:33 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2004 SD 17
  • Interests:Retired Camping Golf Hiking Health Photography

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:28 PM

Kill wire bracket has possibly moved to shifted.. has happened to me on another brand. Not sure about yours

#21 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 04:35 PM

The generator runs fine.............with the choke on.  So what would the kill wire have to do with it?  I'm an engine idiot, so just asking.

Chris

Visit My Website

#22 Linnij

Linnij
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:LD/17 2018
  • Trailer Name:Luna

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:29 PM

That Ginny has a funny vent switch in the fuel cap too. . Might be funky
  • clairemr1 likes this

#23 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 07:03 PM

Yes, it does.....................and while it will stop the flow of the fuel when I shut it off, it could very well not be allowing enough air into the tank when it's turned on.  I'll check that tomorrow.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Chris

Visit My Website

#24 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:23 AM

Well...................just removed the gas cap and started the engine.  Ran like a top..............until I turned off the choke.  So the cap isn't the problem.

Chris

Visit My Website

#25 Mark Watson

Mark Watson
  • Casita Club Member
  • 570 posts
  • Local time: 03:33 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2008 FD 17

Posted 21 September 2018 - 06:49 AM

Ref fuel flow, you indicated you have two generators..... check the fuel flow on the working generator. If you have the same fuel flow stream as you saw on the failing generator, that will tell you something. Any chance of swapping generators between the two if the flow is the same?

• clairemr1 likes this

Mark Watson

Houston,Tx
2008 17' FD

#26 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 08:58 AM

Hmmmmm..............that's a thought.  I'm headed out right now to start working on it again.

But don't understand what you meant by "Any chance of swapping generators between the two if the flow is the same?"

Chris

Visit My Website

#27 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 09:48 AM

Just checked the flow with the engine running and there's no shortage of fuel available "to" the carburetor.   So the problem definitely isn't the fuel pump.  I found the pilot jet under the Throttle Stop screw's o-ring was pulverized.  But I can't seem to find what size to replace it with.

Edited by Chris C, 21 September 2018 - 09:48 AM.

Chris

Visit My Website

#28 Zimm

Zimm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 90 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Deluxe Bunks

Posted 21 September 2018 - 11:12 AM

I can help.  I had the same problem.  It runs on the choke because the choke enriches the fuel mixture (by cutting off some of the air).  That means the engine isn't getting enough fuel.

In my case I would get surging, and with the choke on, it would run.  The reason is the jet in the carb has some build up in the orifice.  I too rebuilt and cleaned the carb with cleaner several times.  I wasn't until I stumbled on an article that said you need to physically scrape and poke the tiny hole in the jet that I fixed it.  I found a short piece of electrical wire and opened it up and pulled a few strands of copper out it.  Use the copper strands to slowly and carefully scrape at the hole in the jet, then spray it with carb cleaner.  The copper is soft enough that it won't wreck the jet, as that is made of brass.  The Honda carb is so tiny, that a minuscule build up of old ethanol gas can constrict the jet enough that the engine won't run.

Or you can buy a new jet for a few dollars.   Cheaper than a new carb.

Edited by Zimm, 21 September 2018 - 11:13 AM.

Come visit us:  

http://thehandycamperco.com

#29 Zimm

Zimm
  • Casita Club Member
  • 90 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:17 Spirit Deluxe Bunks

Posted 21 September 2018 - 11:15 AM

Here's the thread that I was referencing:  http://www.casitaclu...onda-generator/

Edited by Zimm, 21 September 2018 - 11:16 AM.

Come visit us:  

http://thehandycamperco.com

#30 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 21 September 2018 - 11:20 AM

Thanks, Zimm...............but I've already done all of that.  Physically cleared all hols with wire and carb spray along with Sea Foam.

I'm totally baffled...........but that's not surprising since I know nothing about engines!  But it seems to me the fuel isn't getting to the carb fast enough to run without the choke being on.  But I can't find any reason for it.

I'm going to go to a repair shop tomorrow and buy a gasket set along with an Air Filter gasket and carb gasket............as well as a new Pilot Jet with the o-ring on it. (since I can't seem to find the right size o-ring for the Pilot Jet I have)  I think I can get all that for under $30...........or at least I sure hope so.  Don't have the funds for much more.  I'm wondering if the pulverized Pilot Jet o-ring was allowing too much air into the carb.  I'm just guessing, because it's the only thing I've found in the carb that doesn't seem right.

Chris

Visit My Website