Honda Generator Problem

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Chris C

Chris C
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts
  • Local time: 10:09 PM
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 19 September 2018 - 10:55 AM

I've got a Honda 2000 generator that will only run with the choke on.  I've taken the carb down 5 times and cleaned it.............thinking maybe I'd missed something.  I've used carb cleaner and Sea Foam on every orifice I can find.  I've pulled the idle speed jet and cleaned it.  Pulled the fuel filter and cleaned it.  Can't think of anything else to do..................but am fairly certain I can't afford to take it somewhere to get it running.  It's up to me, but I'm at a loss.  Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Chris C, 19 September 2018 - 11:58 AM.

Chris
2006 17' Spirit Deluxe pulled with a White 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTS.

Visit My Website

#2 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,718 posts
  • Local time: 07:09 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:15 PM

I have a Honda 5K that I use to run the well pump, the  fridge and freezer in my house during power outages. It can run just about everything one at a time save for the furnace.

I don't take a generator camping. Nor am I a generator mechanic so I'm not going to be much help, but...how old is the fuel in the tank? How often do you run it solely for preventative maintenance? It sounds to me..and again, I"m not a generator wrench, it sounds to me as if something is plugging up the hoses.

I run mine quarterly with a load on it..usually something like a Shop Vac or if nothing else a 100w rough service trouble light. I let it run for about twenty minutes, unplug the loads and then, I TURN OFF THE GAS and let the generator run until it runs out of fuel and stops. Only then do I shut off the on/off switch and THat one thing, I think, has really helped keep the lines cleaned out.

Given the work, the time, the parts you've thrown at it and the aggravation you've suffered with the 2K, I'd bite the bullet and take it into a shop and have it looked at. Maybe it's a lemon, although Honda generators have a good reputation.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#3 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts
  • Interests:Custom Furniture builder. Photography. Paragliding. Camping. Llamas. Really living life! (on and on and on and on!)

Posted 19 September 2018 - 03:46 PM

Naw, this generator is no lemon.  Been using it since "08 and it's always run like a charm.  The fuel is fresh.  Admittedly, I'd not used it in about a year.  So I put in fresh fuel laced with Sea Foam.  That will usually get 'em runnin' good at the first of the season. I have two of them.  Use them at the same time/same number of hours and shut them down at the end of the season just the same.  The other one started right up with no problem.  Unfortunately, the Honda generators won't allow you to turn off the fuel and let the engine run the carb completrely empty.  I read recently there's an aftermarket kit that makes that possible, but I've not pursued it.

Chris

Visit My Website

#4 Linnij

Linnij
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3 posts
  • Local time: 11:09 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:LD/17 2018
  • Trailer Name:Luna

Posted 19 September 2018 - 05:16 PM

Look for a plugged exhaust, maybe a spark arrestor screen. Letting it run with the fresh fuel will self clean as well if it’s the carb
  • Jim&Clare likes this

#5 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 19 September 2018 - 05:25 PM

Hmmmmm.  Thanks.  Never even considered a clogged arrestor screen.  I'll check that tomorrow.

Chris

Visit My Website

#6 Beetlefreak

Beetlefreak
  • Casita Club Member
  • 128 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2010 Liberty
  • Interests:Finding a good adventure

Posted 20 September 2018 - 03:47 AM

I had a similar experience.  I ended up replacing the carburetor.  If my time is worth anything the $100 carb was a bargain.

• cottons likes this
So much fun - So little time
Beetlefreak.com

#7 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 05:37 AM

Unfortunately, my time isn't worth anything.    Don't have the spare bucks for $100 "bargains".  :rofl2: 

• clairemr1 likes this

Chris

Visit My Website

#8 clairemr1

clairemr1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,301 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Patriot Deluxe - 13'
  • Interests:Kayaking, birdwatching, hiking
  • Trailer Name:Sassie Cassie

Posted 20 September 2018 - 06:06 AM

i think linnij (#4) has a good idea. i'd check the arrestor. the instructions that came with my honda 2000 recommends annual maintenance on it too, if memory serves. so far i've managed to ignore it during annual maintenance but if things go wonky in the future, i'll be cleaning it like i'm supposed to!

claire and merlin, excellent schnoodle

2015 white toyota tacoma

rally host

#9 flcoxjr

flcoxjr
  • Casita Club Member
  • 200 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2015 Spirit Deluxe 17

Posted 20 September 2018 - 08:26 AM

Here is a link to the eu2000i Shop Manual (Repair Manual).

https://halcyontimes...pair-manual.pdf

Edited by flcoxjr, 20 September 2018 - 08:29 AM.

• clairemr1 likes this

#10 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 09:38 AM

I put the muffler/spark arrestor in a pan of gasoline about two hours ago.  I'm headed out to see what, if anything, I get out of it.  I'll report the results.

Thanks flcoxjr for the manual link.  I'm sure that will be helpful to me.

• clairemr1 likes this

Chris

Visit My Website

#11 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:16 AM

Okay, I cleaned out the screen and muffler.  Lots of carbon washed out of the muffler.................but not one single opening in the screen of the spark arrestor was clogged..........that I could see.  Cleaned it in the gasoline anyway.

Same results!  Gennie starts on first or second pull, with choke on.  The minute I start to turn off the choke the engine dies.  It will run all day with the choke on, but not two seconds with it off.  Can't find anything in the manual's trouble-shooting section referring to this problem.  I'm really baffled!

Chris

Visit My Website

#12 Brian W

Brian W
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 09:09 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 SD 17'

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:47 AM

Chris;  You might have a vacuum leak. This can be caused by a cracked hose or gasket. With engine running, spray carb cleaner around the carburetor. If RPM changes, you have a leak.

Brian

• clairemr1 likes this

#13 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 10:52 AM

Okay, Brian, I'll go give that a try.

Chris

Visit My Website

#14 Chris C

Chris C
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 20 September 2018 - 11:41 AM

NOPE!  No change in engine speed.  Now I'm beginning to get beyond being frustrated..................but I won't say it (what I'm thinking) on the forum.

Chris

Visit My Website

#15 Brian W

Brian W
  • Casita Club Member
  • 4 posts
  • Local time: 09:09 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:2016 SD 17'

Posted 20 September 2018 - 11:58 AM

Chris;  Air has got to be getting in the carb somewhere. Maybe lose mounting bolts or cracked gasket? Good luck.

Brian