3 replies to this topic

#1 Fred&Holly

Fred&Holly
  • Casita Club Member
  • 148 posts
  • Local time: 10:38 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Independence 17'

Posted 12 September 2018 - 05:56 PM

WE are thinking about sealing the edges of our faux-wood cabinet doors against water Any body done so and what did you use?? We did not want to cause swelling of the faux-wood at the edges, of course..

#2 Joe Romas

Joe Romas
  • Casita Club Member
  • 293 posts
  • Local time: 08:38 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:1999 17' SD
  • Interests:Hobbies are machining, doing "mods" to my Casita, camping and keeping busy.

Posted 13 September 2018 - 04:51 AM

Yes I have. Just routine wiping of the table top with a damp cloth will cause swelling of the edges over time.

I use gloss Min-Wax oil based Polyurethane with super results. It will leave a slightly darker color that I find more appealing. It might take several coats if swelling has started already. 

Joe

Edited by Joe Romas, 13 September 2018 - 04:51 AM.

• NASA42 B likes this

Joe and Mary Romas
Columbus, OH
1999 Casita 17' SD
2017 GMC Seirra

#3 rplante

rplante
  • Casita Club Member
  • 25 posts
  • Local time: 04:38 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Casita Spirit Deluxe/17'

Posted 13 September 2018 - 06:24 AM

Same here.  I sealed every exposed edge in the trailer and like Joe used MinWax Wipe-On Poly.  It required 3 coats with a light sand between but it dried quickly and was fast and easy to apply.   

Yes it does darken the edges so if you want everything to match color-wise you may want to considering doing everything (ie bathroom door, table, wall divider etc.)

Randy

#4 Fred&Holly

Fred&Holly
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 148 posts
  • Local time: 10:38 PM
  • Casita Model/Size:Independence 17'

Posted 13 September 2018 - 07:19 AM

Thanks!!  But what a time-suck!  IMHO plastic doors wudda been much easier....and water-resistant too!  Might as well do all the doors, including that big bathroom door, wh gets water on it too. Geeze..Oh yeah and the closet door where we put Command Strip hooks for our wet rain jackets we seem to need every dang time we go camping  :-)

Edited by Fred&Holly, 13 September 2018 - 07:25 AM.

• Meadowlark likes this