• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kateyras

Kateyras
  • Casita Club Member
  • 30 posts
  • Local time: 05:25 AM

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:51 AM

When we sold our 2005 Spirit and went to look at our 2013 Liberty, we were thrilled with the kitchen design and the twin beds - no more climbing over each other all night long. So, we never gave a thought to using the bathroom with that vanity. It sure looked nice. However, our first time out we both immediately decided we did not like it at all, it was too claustrophobic for us. We thought and thought of what to do, not wanting to rush and regret something.
Well, this past week we finally did our mod and we are both very pleased with result. This thing is still rock solid, but now we fit so much better. I am even using the same baskets I used under the corner sink of the Spirit. They are anchored with small hooks and can easily be lifted out to shower. Happy Campers are we.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0711.JPG

#2 Jerrybob

Jerrybob
  • Casita Club Member
  • 891 posts
  • Local time: 02:25 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Maintain 6 acres, travel in my Casita, enjoying life

Posted 12 September 2018 - 09:59 AM

Looks good.  I've never seen the new bathroom personally....I wondered if having enough room would be a problem...looks like you took care of that concern...nice job..safe travel. 

#3 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 506 posts
  • Local time: 04:25 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 14 September 2018 - 06:00 PM

That looks really nice. Your modification has nice lines. Definite improvement over that big block of plastic that used to go there.

Toddy

Edited by Hot Toddy, 14 September 2018 - 06:03 PM.

#4 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,740 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:46 AM

Do you have a 'before' picture? I've never been in a Liberty so I'm not sure what the original configuration looked like. If you replaced the entire vanity, where did you get it??

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#5 Kateyras

Kateyras
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 03:40 PM

Here are before picture. There was zero leg room to the left and using that cabinet to store things was not really convenient either. We just cut out the part we didn't want. It has a nice countertop now, and also leg room.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0173.JPG
  • IMG_0589.JPG

#6 Hot Toddy

Hot Toddy
  • Casita Club Member
  • 506 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2013 Spirit Deluxe - 17'
  • Interests:Camping, hiking, cooking, gardening, and yoga.
  • Trailer Name:Kerouac

Posted 16 September 2018 - 04:53 AM

100% improvement. I have always liked our little sink, even thought it is pretty flimsy plastic, and never cared for that big vanity, other than it is stout. Now we know the vanity can be modified to a much better option. What did you cut the fiberglass with and did you vacuum as you sawed? I know cutting fiberglass creates a TON of micro-fine dust.

Toddy

#7 Kateyras

Kateyras
  • Topic Starter
  • Casita Club Member
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 09:41 AM

Hi Toddy,
As for cutting tools, there is a recent thread on the Casita Forum regarding closet mods, "closet rework thoughts or help" that has great info for that, and for best tools to use. We had someone do it for us, since he had tools and exhaust equipment we didn't feel like buying. It really has made using the bathroom for one of its intended purposes a lot more comfortable for us.

#8 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 2,740 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 17 September 2018 - 06:25 PM

Wow, that is a 100% improvement. I agree, the original configuration left no room for knees! You have to wonder does Casita actually do trial runs on their stuff? I mean, actually sit down on the toilet and see if one fits?? It doesn't seem so.

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#9 clover

clover
  • Casita Club Member
  • 1,374 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17' SD

Posted 18 September 2018 - 06:48 AM

That is a great mod for an obnoxious obstruction in the bathroom. From what I've read and heard the cabinet was not water proof either. 

I've thought about getting a newer model of a Casita, several "upgrades" in more recent models have nixed that move. One of the major downsides (IMHO) was this cabinet. Now I see a feasible fix. 

Thanks for sharing 

Happy Trails!
Clover
2003 17' SD
2002 F350 Diesel Crew Cab
(I know it is overkill but we live on a real ranch it takes a vacation with the Casita)