• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,362 posts
  • Local time: 09:27 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 29 August 2018 - 11:17 AM

Saw a Casita SD or FD in Trader Joe's parking lot Sunday Aug. 26.  It had a very small Trailer license plate near the rear light, driver's side.  Too small to read which state.

TJ's was full of "burners", some in full dress, stocking up for the event. 

Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#2 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,269 posts
  • Local time: 08:27 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:2011 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.
    Retired US Army, active field biologist.
  • Trailer Name:Grus Egg
  • Casita Club Directory #:958

Posted 29 August 2018 - 12:59 PM

I don't think I'll ever do a Burning Man...the heat and the walking would get me. But it sure sounds...interesting. Am I correct in thinking that some Casitans all go into the same 'area'? or is it just a  case of finding a spot and park?

These are the voyages of the small ship, "Grus Egg".

2011 17" Spirit Deluxe, "Grus Egg"

"Civilization began when we stopped eating horses and began riding them."

#3 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,269 posts
  • Interests:Dressage, birding, camping, reading, traveling with my photographer husband and our two cats, cooking.

Posted 29 August 2018 - 01:33 PM

Never mind, I just found a post that you answered for me a few years ago. Plus I read an article in...um, I think it was Scientific American, where a 'modern archeologist' did an extensive study on Burning Man, concentrating on what 'artifacts' where found afterwards. I was amazed at 1. the extremely strict standards that BLM demands of clean up and 2. how Burning Man cleanup crews (and let's admit it..Burners themselves) meet and even beat those standards.  They walk the walk and talk the talk of Leave No Trace. I think the standard was no more than a baggie?? of  litter found in a randomly chosen, standard meter transect  to be allowed. I am sure I have the amount higher than allowed, but I am still amazed that since the beginning, BM has always met those standards.

The stuff the cleanup crews find is mostly old nails from pallets, packaging, cigarette butts, and one off's like a cell phone, a key, etc. She did say that the major finding from her study was that "Americans eat a lot more junk food than they're willing to admit."

Part of me would love to attend. Despite being just the  tail end of the pig in the Boomer python, I did grow up in during the days of the hippies, and BM sounds like a bigger, better, far cleaner version of Woodstock.

But again...the heat would get me, the noise in the middle of the night would keep me from sleeping, and I don't have a bicycle.

Edited by Meadowlark, 29 August 2018 - 01:36 PM.

• aidem1 likes this

#4 Dutchman

Dutchman
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,356 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2003 17SD "Pura Vida"
  • Interests:kayaking, bicycling, nature, history, aviation, musea, traditional jazz music, piano player, full timer. member Escapees rv club
  • Casita Club Directory #:1372

Posted 29 August 2018 - 05:11 PM

I have a bicycle but the dust would get to me fast.  I think I'll pass.  Too old, anyway :-(

Dutchman

Edouard Trautwein, #1372  

'03 17SD "Pura Vida"
'99 Toyota 4Runner, 3.4L V6 -

Casita living - Luxury on two wheels.

HOME IS WHERE I PARK IT !   

#5 Carol Christensen

Carol Christensen
  • Topic Starter
  • Rally Organizer
  • 3,362 posts
  • Casita Model/Size:2005 17' LD - "Nova"
  • Interests:Travel, camping, pets, mother nature, wildlife behavior, being outdoors to enjoy it all.
  • Casita Club Directory #:1009

Posted 29 August 2018 - 10:25 PM

I've never been, too many people for me.

One year there was lots of rain and the playa started to look like a lake (again).  But this year, I read that it is not only dusty but smoky from all the fires. 

• Meadowlark likes this
Carol Christensen
2005 17' LD Nova & 2001 Toyota 4Runner

pre-Nova was Ova-the-Rainbow 1999 17' LD (sold)

Don't believe everything you think.

#6 Meadowlark

Meadowlark
  • Casita Club Member
  • 3,269 posts

Posted 30 August 2018 - 02:08 PM

Yeah, the crowds would annoy me, too. I read that this year the BLM is capping the # of people attending at 70,000. Holy moly, that's a bunch.

Dutchman.........I'll buy the dust getting to you, but I really doubt the age limitation you put on yourself. You're full timing it, right? That tells me you're not so old you can't enjoy life.  ^_^

#7 Fred&Holly

Fred&Holly
  • Casita Club Member
  • 246 posts
  • Local time: 10:27 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:Escape-21

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:54 AM

Uggh.."heat, crowds, dust,  wierdo weed smokers.....all the stuff we hate to camp near.   We'll take a decent SP in the cool Tennessee Smokies, Mon thru Thursday any time over BM..  ;-)

• Meadowlark likes this

#8 aidem1

aidem1
  • Casita Club Member
  • 64 posts
  • Local time: 11:27 AM
  • Casita Model/Size:06 Spirit Deluxe 17
  • Interests:Well, camping for sure. Cooking, gardening, animals.

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:46 AM

I've been five times over the years.  Yes the heat, yes the dust.  It takes a lot of prep and definitely is not easy to go, but once you get there it is quite something to behold.  The effort, imagination and ingenuity that go into the execution of this event are testaments to American creativity.   

Part of the premise is that it is a 'no spectators' event. I volunteered for many different service camps, but my favorite was 'mobility' camp.  On their own dime, a group of people bring chargers, parts, trailer w/seats and jeeps.  They provide charging stations and or repairs for mobility equipment.  Also crutches for people who get hurt on playa, they do.  Scheduled tours of the artwork are provided to all with priority given to those who can't walk or ride on their own.

I love seeing the art, especially the art cars- but the spirit of independence, volunteerism and camaraderie were the big draws for me.  I last went in 2014, had the best time, but called it quits after that.   At this stage of life, it's too long for me to be away from my husband (NEVER, he would never go!)  Of course I enjoy a weekday sojourn in quiet nature, but I'm glad I had those few opportunities to get out of my own skin and BE the adventure that is BurningMan.

Edited by aidem1, 03 October 2018 - 11:47 AM.

• rockinrobin likes this
Alex SD 17
"Not all who wander are lost"